Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i just got my Ozark 250 yesterday and it will not idle. It runs great with some help of the throttle, and after beating the snot out of it it seemed to want to idle a bit better for maybe 5 seconds. I disassembled and cleaned the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner, and made sure all jets and internal passages were spotless. I also made sure the idle adjustment was free and moving as it should. I put the carb back on and it changed nothing. The choke doesn't seem to change anything at all, and when i pulled the plug out it was pitch black. I haven't touched the air/fuel screw because it still has a cap on it and I'm not sure if i have to drill it out and replace it with an adjustable one. One more tidbit of information: i opened the airbox to find there was no air filter. I do not have an air filter for it, so is it possible that it needs a bit of a restriction on the intake side? I figured if that had anything to do with it it would run lean and not rich but i figured i would ask. Also, the idle adjustment knob makes no difference at all. I adjusted the throttle cable to up idle speed enough to stay running, but after riding it a bit it started idling way too high. I then readjusted the throttle cable and it died, i fired it back up and it still won't idle. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Don't use the throttle cable to adjust idle. It will never be right and will even change with the handlebar position.
Don't drill anything, the design is correct the way it was built and modifying parts to address an issue is treating the symptom and not the problem. (a frequent pitfall) It's tempting to change things in order to 'fix it' but that may just send you chasing your tail. Got to find out why it's not running the way the manufacturer intended. :)
Air filter on or off should not make any difference in the idle.
The black plug and choke that makes no difference is a flag. The float level is too high or the needle abnd seat is worn or fouled or the metering needle is set wrong r not working right or or or. Could be lots of things if the machine was picked up used and a former hammer headed owner has been meddling around with the carb. Sounds like it, if there's no air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Or the choke plunger is not seating.

I've never seen a carb with the pilot screw having a cap over it. Makes me wonder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked the quad up in a trade last Wednesday, and it's pretty rough. Compression is 146psi, but i could've guessed that compression wasn't the issue by how hard the near useless pull start is to pull. I can't seem to find any specs on float height but I'll recheck everything again. I've had it running probably 10 minutes total without the air filter but God knows how long the previous owner did. Now that i think of it, float height makes the most sense due to it clearing up for a bit after running it hard. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you did not take the plug on the air/fuel off and take the adjustment screw out.....I don't see how you cleaned that circuit out......
I would try that first....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem, would not idle but ran fine under load and using throttle. Usually this is a plugged idle jet after the machine has sat for awhile without running. In my case it was a leaking petcock diaphragm transferring fuel into the intake via the vacuum hose and causing a rich idle and the engine would die if it tried to idle. I pulled off the vacuum line from the petcock and plugged it with a pencil, then put the petcock in the prime position and the engine idles perfect.

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
I had the same problem, would not idle but ran fine under load and using throttle. Usually this is a plugged idle jet after the machine has sat for awhile without running. In my case it was a leaking petcock diaphragm transferring fuel into the intake via the vacuum hose and causing a rich idle and the engine would die if it tried to idle. I pulled off the vacuum line from the petcock and plugged it with a pencil, then put the petcock in the prime position and the engine idles perfect.
Just to point this out. Your replying to a thread/post from 2015. Threads/posts a year or so older are considered inactive. Though we appreciate the reply or tip, please try and refrain from replying to threads/posts older then a year to avoid overrunning newer threads. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts