Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained my atv oil and I smell gas in the oil i no this is not normal what is the cause? And how do I fix it?

·
Super Moderator
388 Posts
You can confirm if you have gas in the oil by putting the oil in a glass jar and allowing it to settle. It will form layers if there is gas, or water in the oil. Gas is lighter than oil and will separate and float on top.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
First off, we need to know what model/year atv you have. If it’s a carbureted model, gas entering your oil can come from a few sources. Either a seating issue or a maladjusted float within your carburetor, or a faulty fuel petcock if your model has the vacuum style fuel petcock, On/Pri/Res.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
From a online search I did, your model atv is fuel injected. However it still does utilize the vacuum style fuel petcock, On/Pri/Res. This is the only thing that I could think of that would cause fuel to contaminate your oil. To check to see if it’s gone bad, pull the vacuum line off at fuel petcock. If the line is wet, or if fuel comes out the line or port where you removed that line. The your fuel petcock is bad and needs to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a common issue with snowbikes that are fuel injected. When they run low temps from snow cooling the engine, the computer puts it in startup mode, which puts more fuel into the system and the excess works it's way into the oil. I normally change the oil on my snowbike at least every other ride. Not saying this is your issue, but could your comp be going into startup mode for some reason?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts