Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I’m working on installing the OEM fan kit on my 99’ KQ300. I’m wondering if anyone has installed an oil temperature gauge on their LT-300 or LT-250? I understand that there is a test port on the oil filter cap and I wonder if I could install a temp probe into that test port? I’d likely use a Trail Tech TTO temp gauge, does anyone know what thread the port in the cap is?

Lastly, I’m concerned that the length of the temp proble may interfere with the oil filter flow if it’s too long?

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
That seems like a pretty long probe. Might interfere with the oil filter. And I’ve only heard of one guy putting some type of a temp gauge. No one else has done one to my knowledge. If your like me, I like to know the values of how my engine is running. However, sometimes trying to rig something up is a real pain and just not worth the effort. Plus your KQ already has a oil temp light to tell you if something goes arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are valid points about whether or not it is really needed, I can say without a doubt that the answer is no, it isn't needed. But nonetheless I have a spare Trail Tech Vapor sitting on my workbench and the urge is there to set it up on the KQ. I'll continue to research the best way to install a temp sensor and will report back if I come up with something compelling.

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. Post up your findings or how to if your successful. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the Suzuki oil temp fan switch (Suzuki Part# 17680-19B70) out of my parts quad, on the block in front of the right rear tire, and from what I can tell, the port is threaded M14x1.5. In which case any of us could remove the switch, or blank plug and use a Trail Tech M14x1.5 adapter (Trail Tech Part# VA-14150) and you'll end up reading the oil temp from the factory location. The adapter has an internal 1/8" BSPP thread which will accept any standard Trail Tech temp sensor.

I am not affiliated with TT but I like their products and have had good luck with them. The adapter is aluminum and could be easily overdrilled and retapped to fit the temp sensor of your choice.

Nothing wrong with that. Post up your findings or how to if your successful. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
Correction!! The factory oil temp port is threaded M16x1.5! I checked today to verify fit.

Good to know. I’ll keep that in mind for future reference. Thank you for the info. Is the oil temp sensor you posted screw right in to the oil gallery..? Let us know your set up and what parts you used. Might be something I might be interested in doing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir, with the adapter (Trail Tech P/N VA-16150) any gauge that uses 1/8TH X 28 BSPP threads will fit directly. The adapter fits into the original oil temp sensor port and the gauge sensor threads into the adapter. Bolt on, no cutting, splicing or other shenanigans.

Only caveat is, when you remove the OEM oil temp sensor the oil temp light on the dash will be useless. Unless you'd prefer to wire the dash light into another circuit to see if it is active, like say... "ejection seat," "Vertical take-off" or may even a "Yeti approaching" setup for those of us in the northwest.

I'd rather know the oil temperature to the exact degree than a light which doesn't tell me anything other than "danger," that light is controlled by a 20-30 year old sensor that has been heat cycled a ton of times so is it really trustworthy anyways? The damage may already be done by the time the overtemp light illuminates!

The issue for me to figure out right nw is how can I run the OEM Suzuki fan switch in its port, and run an oil temp gauge at the same time without boring holes in my cases?:grin Time to think!

Good to know. I’ll keep that in mind for future reference. Thank you for the info. Is the oil temp sensor you posted screw right in to the oil gallery..? Let us know your set up and what parts you used. Might be something I might be interested in doing.

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
What place/site can you order those parts from..? And what is the cost approximately..? And hopefully you can figure out the rest of your setup. And like you, I’d prefer to know the exact oil temp over the oil temp light, (Idiot Light). But I’d personally like to keep both. But that’s just me. So I’ll be following your thread closely. And if you get everything sorted out and you do install it. Maybe you can post up a install thread with pics/step by step instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be very easy to add the oil temp gauge, adding the gauge while retaining the light would be a challenge.

To add the gauge you’ll need these two items,

1. The adapter to install in place of the OEM temp switch $10 before shipping

https://www.trailtech.net/oil-temp-sensor-adapter-m16x1-5

2. Any oil temp gauge with 1/8x28 BSPP thread, I plan to use the TTO gauge if I can. $50 before shipping

https://www.trailtech.net/tto-1

You can get a panel mount or stick on gauge, I have used the panel mount before (it’s backlit, the stick on is not) and it worked well on my Versys 650. Just make sure you get a temp gauge with a 1/8-28 BSPP sensor. I like to use a thread sealant compound vs Teflon tape to seal threads.

3. Depending on where you want to mount the gauge you may need a temp sensor extension too. $10

https://www.trailtech.net/accessories/gauges-accessories/v300-72

I plan to install a gauge but I want to get my fan running first, to the best of my knowledge the above set up should work. But understand that I haven’t tested it and do not/can not guarantee that it will work. If you do the mod above you do so at your own risk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also, if you want an easier "dry" solution without opening the oil system. You can get a TTO gauge with a radiator fin sensor and wedge it in between cores of the oil cooler.

That would provide a reference indication but not the exact oil temp in the engine. I'd say it should be within 15-25 degree of the internal oil temp though depending on the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found some additional options for those who want to add an oil temp gauge. This adapter made by Autometer will fit in the factory oil temp switch port, I'm guessing it fits most Autometer sensors.

https://www.autometer.com/1-8-npt-to-m16x1-5-pressure.html

I have a question for those who've cracked these engines open before, is the factory oil temp port located in a pressurized oil gallery or is it just subject to oil slung onto it off of a rotating assembly? Reason I ask, I've found a straight M16x1.5 adapter with a male end and a female end, both the same threads. I would install the male end into the engine and install my fan switch into the female end. If the gallery is pressurized I can drill and tap a hole in the side of the adapter for a gauge temp probe and I'll have a gauge that reads oil temp at the factory location but also keep the thermostatic fan switch where it belongs. That would allow me to run the factory fan sensor as designed and give me a safe place to install sensor for an oil temp gauge.

Here's the adapter I found, it has plenty of material to do some machining.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Adaptor-M16-x-1-5-Female-to-M16x1-5-Male-Fittings-HEX-22-L-43mm-1-7inch/331929258573?hash=item4d48868a4d:g:qZ8AAOSw6jNbsutm

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have purchased a temp gauge and sensor and will be installing it in the coming weeks. My cooling fan is controlled by the factory thermostat in the crankcase so I’ll leave it as is. I plan to install the temp sensor somewhere in the cylinder head. I’m not certain if I’ll aim to measure cylinder head temperature or oil temperature yet. I’ll update this thread when I get the install going.

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
Would the sensor fit in the oil gallery..? Where you have your cooling fan thermo plugged in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I opted not to piggyback the sensors with an adapter. Number one that alters the flow of oil to the factory set up and may reduce its performance and number two it invites oil leaks from a hodgepodge sensor set-up. Plus I’m not certain if the oil gallery that feeds the stock sensor is fed by pressurized oil or by oil slung off of a rotating assembly, pressurized oil would be fine as it would fill the extra volume of the adapter. If the oil is slung off the clutch housing I’d lose accuracy as the extra volume of air inside the adapter would alter the oil temp reading. I wanted to leave the stock sensor alone so I opted to buy a stand alone M6x1.0 threaded sensor. I plan to drill and tap the head cover and install the sensor there. Thinking I’ll mount the gauge to the range selector panel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts