Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm thinking of adding Lucas Oil Stabilizer to my 2007 King Quad 450. The previous owner never changed the oil for the first 500 miles. I did notice some brass shavings in the oil. I do not plan on doing any type of rebuild. I just want to keep it going as long as possible. Lucas customer support said to use no more than 10% capacity.

Would adding an oil stabilizer be okay?
Looking at the Lucas motorcycle stabilizer

Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
How much miles on it now? After the 1st 500 miles , did the previous owner then start to change the oil regularly ? I’m not clear why you cant just use a good mineral oil (OEM) or synthetic oil with no additive. Maybe I’m missing something..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the previous owner (original) ever changed the oil, because I had found brass shavings in the oil and the oil filter was almost impossible to remove. I bought it when it had 500 miles, now it has a little more than 600. I want to add extra protection to the internals if possible.

·
Registered
567 Posts
is it running good? any evidence of major damage , beside shavings.. initial oil change from new I believe is 100 miles most dealers recommend thats too early and double it 200 miles , thats when some shaving after break in could be more evident (normal) . After that, oil change intervals are at every 1200miles . It’s a tough motor and it’s still pretty new, I would not rush to put any additives, a good oil is ample protection ( just change more frequent for extreme use ) . At this point I would just flush it a few times with cheap oil and filter. Then put in a quality oil and filter (OEM) and follow the manual. Just my 2cents..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Brass shavings only come from bearings; which would require a complete teardown of the engine. I doubt the engines main bearing is failing with 600 miles on it. The shavings may just be tinted gold from the oil? I'd use the fluids that the manual called for instead of trying to find "the best".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For now, I think I'll just stick with using the recommend engine oil per the service manual. If the used oil continues to produce brass shavings or gets worse then I may do something different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts