Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Use 10W40 motorcycle oil that is wet clutch compatible. And does your atv utilize an oil sight glass to check the oil or a dipstick..? I'd say it probably holds around the same as my 300 KQ. Around 3.8 quarts with a filter. But I always start with 3.0 quarts then add a bit at a time while checking it frequently till its appropriately filled.

If you have an oil sight glass, then you want the oil level between the top set of lines and the bottom set of lines. If you have a dipstick then fill it till reaches the full mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Use 10W40 motorcycle oil that is wet clutch compatible. And does your atv utilize an oil sight glass to check the oil or a dipstick..? I'd say it probably holds around the same as my 300 KQ. Around 3.8 quarts with a filter. But I always start with 3.0 quarts then add a bit at a time while checking it frequently till its appropriately filled.

If you have an oil sight glass, then you want the oil level between the top set of lines and the bottom set of lines. If you have a dipstick then fill it till reaches the full mark on the dipstick.
+1 to what aj said.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmmm this is probably one of the reasons why my old LT-F230 slipped its clutch so badly (other than it being old and tired)
The Suzuki manual simply stated to use 10w-40 oil - no mention of using something more exotic or a diesel oil to flush the clutch plates which sounds pretty logical.
I suspect that the current 300 KQ has ordinary car oil in it too.
If I had not read this, I would have blindly followed suit. Looks like I had better check and see what is suitable and available here in NZ.

Amazing the info to be found while browsing the threads in here.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hmmm this is probably one of the reasons why my old LT-F230 slipped its clutch so badly (other than it being old and tired)
The Suzuki manual simply stated to use 10w-40 oil - no mention of using something more exotic or a diesel oil to flush the clutch plates which sounds pretty logical.
If I had not read this, I would have blindly followed suit. Looks like I had better check and see what is suitable and available here in NZ.

Good idea on checking out the oil situation for your kingquad. Its always better to be safe rather than sorry.
Have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
This is the type of oil i use in my '00 King Quad 300 4x4.

·
Registered
107 Posts

I would go with the mobil if I were you, no were on the Rotella does it mention for wet clutch.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I bought some of what AJ runs at the dealer last year before plow season so I had a lighter oil in for winter, its more expensive. just changed the oil here tonight and I'm back to the Dino oil Shell Rotella T 15-40 diesel oil. It doesn't say wet clutch compatible but it meets the JASO-MA classification which is the same thing. It's good oil and I run it all summer and some winters if it's been in over 600 or 700km. Usually change my oil at 1000km.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
5-40 synthetic perfect for winter, perfect for summer...

Flows good for easy starting in extreme winter cold and won't break down under extreme summer heat.

Why anybody would use conventional 10-40 anymore for almost the same cost is beyond me?

Why use dead dinosaurs when you can use space age technology?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts