Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My KQ300 2001 has an oil leak, even more noticeable when revving. It doesn't leak when switched off. The oil goes in the direction of the green arrow, the video is more obvious.

Any ideas where this could be coming from?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like it may be washing down from higher. Pretty clean. I would start with the easy stuff. And general maintenance. Replace the o ring under the valve inspection caps. An o ring kit is under 10 bucks. Also a rubber plug on the head , but I've yet to have to replace one.
Best way to find oil leaks is to clean the engine. A little bit of oil can migrate a long ways.
Also when a few dry leaves can pile up under the engine n start on fire. Having oil down there could burn you pretty fast.
Good luck

·
Registered
224 Posts
Old Hondas have Rocker covers instead of valve covers. Anyway, they don't use gaskets, just liquid gasket material. It may need to be reapplied, but it seems like too large a leak. Clean everything with degreaser & look around with a good flashlight. That's a big oil leak.

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
57 Posts
Ya, I was thinking the same thing. May be more than just a worn gasket. That oil is pouring out of there. Like a major plug or oil line.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok it doesn't look great :-( Leaking from where the head connects to the lower part of the engine :-(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven’t got the kit to test compression sadly. I’ve started to strip it and will replace the gaskets either side of the head to see if that sorts it.

this issue occurred after it was left idling for maybe 15-20minutes with the fan on so I guess it’s overheated? Which surprises me. Should these quads be able to sit idling in 15-20C weather?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
They are probably more then capable at idling for 15-20 minutes. Though I personally wouldn’t leave it running that long given it’s a air cooled engine. Only time I might let my 300 idle that long is during the winter or on those really cool fall mornings.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I’ve stripped the quad to the very last bit. But I can’t get the cylinder head off. It moves on the rods but stops at the threads, I think there might be an oring in the same hole as the dowel? How on earth do I get the oring out so the head comes off the 4rods?

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I’ve stripped the quad to the very last bit. But I can’t get the cylinder head off. It moves on the rods but stops at the threads, I think there might be an oring in the same hole as the dowel? How on earth do I get the oring out so the head comes off the 4rods?
View attachment 21406
On my Honda 200X engine, after removing the 4 head nuts, there was one more bolt holding the cylinder down. Look around under the fins. If it's not there, use a rubber mallet to tap the fins on all 4 sides while pulling the cylinder at the same time.
(you can see the long, skinny bolt on the bottom left of the photo.) Gas Bottle Wood Eyewear Charcoal

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you just can't get cylinder off. You could maybe try n double nut the threaded rod n try to unscrew it from the block. A bit of heat may help as it probably has loctight on it. Try n take a punch and give the end of the rod a couple good wacks the bread the corrosion in the threads.
Can you get some lubricant down the holes to lube any o rings ?
Hey good luck man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts