Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forums,
new member here. Just purchased a 1999 quadrunner 2wd and previous owner had overfilled the oil and after rebuilding the fuel pump and firing her up i noticed an oil leak onto the exhaust pipe. I did drain the excess oil and still dealing with leak. I googled the issue and came across several threads but nobody ever commented on how it was resolved and where the leak is coming from. its dripping from the second fin and i thoroughly inspected all gaskets on the head cover and they're all dry. the cylinder head gasket is all i can think of as the source but it seems to be rearward of this leak. Any body have this problem and get it resolved?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 2000 quadrunner 4x4 had a slight leak from one of the vavle inspection caps on the valve/rocker cover. Dripped right on the exaust coming out of the head. Only dripped when warmed up.

Was an easy fix. Just needed to replace the seal.

Tightening the inspection caps and valve cover bolts was my first step. It helped but didn't get rid of the problem.

Also the oil being overfull could be a bad fuel petcock or sticking float in the carburetor. Fuel leaks down the cylinder and into the engine oil making it over full. If the oil is diluted by fuel it will leak more easily. Not uncommon problems.

If this is the case correct the problem and replace the oil. Make sure to use oil of the right viscosity and wet clutch compatible. If it's not compatible with wet clutches it could make your clutch slip and wear faster.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If your head gasket leaked, it wouldnt hit the exhaust.

If your valve cover is leaking the top cooling fin would be damp with oil.

If it's just the cap, replace the o-ring and be done with it. They harden and flatten over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found the valve guide and valve had just enough wear to let oil get sucked into the exhaust. The valve seal was also a problem. The exhaust valve sit's in a pocket that allows oil to sit in it. That makes it easier for the oil to be sucked into the exhaust. Yes, the oil is being sucked into the exhaust when running. As the exhaust is blown through the exhaust port it creates a small vacuum on the valve guide area.
Cure is a new guide and seal or a good used head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting post Dav. I suspect I'm facing the same issue. Lots of smoke, seems to be oil leaking down exhaust valve stem. Will try your advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts