Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 King Quad LTA400FL6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently purchased a used 2016 King Quad LTA400FL6 for my 12-year-old. I noticed it was leaking oil at both ends of the front drive shaft where they connect to the engine and the front differential.

I’m not a mechanic but also, I’m not clueless either. I typically can figure things out by reading/learning as I go but this issue has me at a standstill. I purchased the Service Manual for this model as well as did a lot of internet research on my issue but cannot seem to find exactly what I need. I am hoping my question may be resolved by the experts in this forum.

So far, I’ve raised the ATV up vertically as I’ve read about. I cleaned up the mess of oil underneath and removed all the panels and such. I researched and purchased the seals. I was able to separate the drive shaft in half and remove the side connected to the engine. My concern is the removing the side connected to the differential. I tried a bit of lite prying like from the engine side but it is not coming loose. I am hesitant to use more force until I know for sure that is the correct way to remove that side of the u-joint from the differential.

Also, when replacing the seals do I need to purchase that special Suzuki tool or do I just pry them out with screwdriver?

Thanks for whatever advice/assistance you can provide. My boy is anxious to get riding again as this has been out of order for at least 6 months now.

Paul (and Caleb)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is where I would start: Removed Link, (Forum Rules Violation). See Forum Rules regarding service manual sharing.

ajl719
Suzuki Atv Forums Administrator.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi
look again at your manual. I think you need to remove the u joint then remove the nut behind the yoke.
and yes just use a screw driver.

·
Premium Member
2016 King Quad LTA400FL6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
look again at your manual. I think you need to remove the u joint then remove the nut behind the yoke.
and yes just use a screw driver.
The u-joint doesn't have a nut behind it. (see photo)

·
Premium Member
2016 King Quad LTA400FL6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'v
It should pop out of the differential like a CV axle. Try turning the drive shaft while prying out.
I've looked at the manual again and it is showing the entire unit removed and in half and shows a interior snap ring prior to removing the "universal joint yoke assembly". I'm still uneasy about trying to knock it out. I may be in over my head a bit. Dang.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'v

I've looked at the manual again and it is showing the entire unit removed and in half and shows a interior snap ring prior to removing the "universal joint yoke assembly". I'm still uneasy about trying to knock it out. I may be in over my head a bit. Dang.
I think that snap ring is the only thing holding it in.

·
Premium Member
2016 King Quad LTA400FL6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a better photo of the part that needs to come out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
go to partszilla.com menu Suzuki, then year. then model then final drive - front.
i did not see anything holding that part in.

·
Premium Member
2016 King Quad LTA400FL6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The front yoke part number 27130-03GA0 listed for my model 2016 King Quad LTA400FL6 also fits ALL these other models list below:
I've expanded my repair research based on this new information and I found a fellow with a 2003 EIGER with the same problem.
He said he had to remove and split the case to replace that part, which is what I surmised from the beginning.
In the manual I see a c-clip on the inside and it very much appears THAT c-clip must be removed to get this out to change the faulty seal.
This is gonna be WAY much fun (not).

SUZUKI EIGER 400 4X4 (2015)
SUZUKI EIGER 400 4X4 AUTO (2002-2007)
SUZUKI EIGER 400 4X4 SEMI-AUTO (2002-2007)
SUZUKI KIND QUAD 400 ASI SE (2021)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 (2012-2013 : 2016-2017)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 ASI (2018, 2019, 2021)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 ASI (CAMO) (2018)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 ASI (SPECIAL EDITION BLACK) (2018)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 ASI SE+ (2020)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 ASi (RED/GREEN) (2017)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 ASi (XD3 CAMO) (2017)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 FSI (2017-2020 )
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 FZ (2016)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400 SE (BLACK) (2017 )
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400AS 4X4 AUTO (2008-2010)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400ASi 4X4 AUTO (2011)
SUZUKI KING QUAD 400FS 4X4 SEMI-AUTO (2008-2010)
SUZUKI LT-A500F QUADMASTER 4X4 (2002-2007)
SUZUKI LT-F500F QUADRUNNER 4X4 (2003-2007)

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi
i find it hard to believe that one would need to split a case to replace a out put shaft seal. i would call your local dealer and ask them the cost of the repair. if less than 500, that would let you know there is no case spiting. did you go to partszilla and look at the break down of your front diff? suzuki knew that seal would need to be replaced sooner or later and i do not think they would have made it such a job, but i could be wrong. i am just saying to dig a bit more. i looked at the parts break down on partszilla at your 2016 and i did not see this clip you are talking about.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here is a better photo of the part that needs to come out.
There is a lock ring on the inside of the shaft if it's the same as mine, I used a pin bar and a 2lb hammer to separate mine, did it that way twice now...lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
A slide hammer works really well for that and for the axels also. Are you planning on removing the front diff to work on it or are you fixing it where it sits?

·
Premium Member
2016 King Quad LTA400FL6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A slide hammer works really well for that and for the axles also. Are you planning on removing the front diff to work on it or are you fixing it where it sits?
I'm getting such mixed information. I'm not sure what to do now. I really do not want to remove the diff and split If I don't have to do that. Some just above said it comes right out. Others say it must be removed and split open. Arrgghh. Lol

·
Premium Member
2016 King Quad LTA400FL6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a lock ring on the inside of the shaft if it's the same as mine, I used a pin bar and a 2lb hammer to separate mine, did it that way twice now...lol
You added "if it's the same as mine" What is your model and year? Is it listed in the list above? Those all use the same yoke as mine best I've been able to research.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts