Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 91 Lt250, I rebuilt the carburetor and set the valve lash, I have 119 psi compression. When I rev the engine I have the oil coming out the crankcase breather tube. what should I look for next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is weird. The LT250R is a two stroke so no valve lash to adjust and the crankcase oil is sealed off from the engine. That oil is there only for the transmission and clutch.

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
That is weird. The LT250R is a two stroke so no valve lash to adjust and the crankcase oil is sealed off from the engine. That oil is there only for the transmission and clutch.
His model is not necessarily the LT250R. There is also a LT-F250T, and LT4WD in ‘91. Anyhow, is your crankcase overfilled with oil by any chance..? Only other thing I can think of would be a blockage someplace else which is causing oil to come out your breather tube. And welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His model is not necessarily the LT250R. There is also a LT-F250T, and LT4WD in ‘91. Anyhow, is your crankcase overfilled with oil by any chance..? Only other thing I can think of would be a blockage someplace else which is causing oil to come out your breather tube. And welcome to the Forum.
The model is a 4 cycle, I had the right amount og oil glass showi half after a mile maybe two it was full and then the overflow sta

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
Are you on a level plain (Surface) when you check your oil..? If not, your oil will either show too little or too full depending on what angle terrain your bike is sitting on. It really doesn’t much. I always check my oil before I leave for a ride. I also find it way easier to check the oil on my 300 them my 750.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the Welcome! The oil level was at half the sight glass, drove it about 1 1/2 miles the oil level was past the sight glass, some how gas started getting in the crankcase. I’m not sure what to look for now.

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
That sounds like a classic fuel petcock issue, or a stuck float. To test to see if it’s the fuel petcock, pull the vacuum line (Smaller Line) off at the fuel petcock. If the line is wet or if fuel comes out the line or port where you removed that line. Then the fuel petcock is bad and needs to be replaced. But if everything checks out ok, then the float inside the carb is probably stuck in the semi or full open position allowing fuel to seep into the crankcase whenever the engine isn’t running. This would then present itself as showing too much oil which you’ve obviously stated that is not the case. I would start with these two things and go from there. Let us know how you make out.

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
That sounds like a classic fuel petcock issue, or a stuck float. To test to see if it’s the fuel petcock, pull the vacuum line (Smaller Line) off at the fuel petcock. If the line is wet or if fuel comes out the line or port where you removed that line. Then the fuel petcock is bad and needs to be replaced. But if everything checks out ok, then the float inside the carb is probably stuck in the semi or full open position allowing fuel to seep into the crankcase whenever the engine isn’t running. This would then present itself as showing too much oil which you’ve obviously stated that is not the case. I would start with these two things and go from there. Let us know how you make out.
That is the best free advice you’ll ever get anywhere. Follow that advice and you should be back on track. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going away for the weekend will check your suggestios on Monday. I appreciate your feedback, so glad I joined the forum .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going away for the weekend will check your suggestios on Monday. I appreciate your feedback, so glad I joined the forum .
My petcock is not the type with vacuum, all positions worked fine. Remove the carb and float bowl, float and needle sprayed with carb cleaner,put back togethe. It seems to have fixed he problem. I’ll keep an eye on it for awhile. Thanks for all the come backs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts