Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 09 King-Quad 500 AXi, which I like very much. However, I am concerned about all the engine noise when getting on the throttle, especially in high range. It sounds like it is detonating, and should have a higher octane gas. Seems to run fine, and as the engine warms up, noise seem to quiet down some. Anyone else have this happen, and any ideas if this is normal? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody have any experience, or comments? My dealer suggested that I try octane booster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
noisy engine

My 09 is the same, there is a lot of noise through the air box when you work the throttle and when you lug the motor when its cold you get the sound you describe. I have 500k on it now and I think its just some thing you have to get used to. I rode a 450 and the motor sounds toally different

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noisy engine

I thought I would get more feeback from members on my question. If only two of us are aware of this noisy engine, I guess we are the ones with a problem. No one else with a 500 or 750 King Quad is aware of this noise, only two of us??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't worry....

I've got an 02 Vinson, which I have completely rebuilt. I've timed the valves two or three times, which you should check at about 100 miles, we share basically the same motor. It is a bit noisy, as far as ticking, it's just the rockers, your ok. No gas/octane can fix this, are you having problems? If not, this is one of the strongest 500 engines ever built for an atv. I have put to shame and rest can-am 500 twins with this engine. Just do proper maintenaince and valve timing at schedule and your ok!!! Suzuki has been building this motor for several years, it is a bit noisy, but until it let you down, don't worry! You just bought this, I'll let you see what a seven year old does against kingquads, grizzily's, rubicon's, outback's what ever. YOU'VE got a GREAT machine, just do proper check-up's, and you'll love it, I promise.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Zoomboy, I only have 100 miles on machine. Again, thanks for your input. I do like the machine very much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For 2009, the Suzuki KingQuad 500 comes with electric power steering as a standard option. Although the system may be new to ATVs, it is based on the electric power steering that’s been on Suzuki cars and SUVs for years.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I currently have a 450, and previously owned an Arctic Cat with a Suzuki 500 engine in it.

They both make the noise you are talking about. The old 500 I had did it, and I put thousands of miles on it without ever having a problem.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Like the vinsons and a few others these engines use whats called a cool bore cylinder,as where no cast-iron sleeve is used,the cast-iron sleeve can act as sound proofing.In my opinoin what is being heard is actually the combustion of the engine and is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought a 500 vinson a while back and thought it was loud to and ran into a guy that has one at a atv trail riding place and his the same as mine so i guess what everyone is saying we need to get use to it .I have Honda Rancher to and its real quiet compared to the vinson.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2012 500 has a knocking sound too, it has gotten louder over the past few rides, (46 hours on it)took it to an atv shop and he gave it the gas while in gear and the brakes on and it made a terrible knocking sound, he said this is not normal so he is going to do some research to find out if the crank and bearings have been updated by suzuki as he doesn't want to replace the parts and for me to have the same noise. He thinks the lower end is bad, I do have an extended warranty and if they repair it I will buy weisco crank and bushings that I know are in spec. do not like all the noise when accelerating. I'll let you know what he says and what the repair does with new parts. he thinks it might be crappy out of spec parts by a little as .001, I can only presume they are manufactured in China and they have no process control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts