Suzuki ATV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been a lot of threads asking what could be causing your quad not to crank/turnover and no neutral light. There are a few things that can cause this. First you need to check the battery voltage using a voltmeter/multimeter it should be just above 12 volts. Also you need to check all of the fuses, on the King Quads 1996-2002 the fuses are located in the same area by the battery in the compartment on the front of the quad. These are blade type and has a place where you can visually inspect to see if the fuses is blown but if they are corroded you can use an Ohm meter/multimeter to see if it has continuity. Finally on the above mentioned King Quads and most of the Quad-Runners there is a two-wire connector and the wires are blue and blue and black striped if this connector is corroded or loose it will keep the neutral light from coming on and it will not let the quad crank without, here is a picture of where it is located under the air filter box.

If you need anymore help I will be glad to help as much as I can.

THOMAS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing I wanted to add if you are getting clicking sounds when you are hitting the starter button, there are a couple of things that can cause this as well. First thing is low battery voltage if it is low then you should charge it properly and then retry and see if it will crank. If you still get a clicking sound after the battery is charged then you will need to inspect and clean all of your connections, this includes at the battery, the solenoid, and at the starter itself. After you clean all of the connectors with a wire brush you can keep it from corroding again a couple of ways, the first way is to use die-lectric grease or if you have some spray paint laying around you can spray it enough to cover the entire connector, BUT only do one of these last 2 steps if you have verified that it will crank and are no longer having problems. After you have done these steps and you are still getting the clicking sounds odds are that you will need a new solenoid (First place I would start considering this is cheaper than a starter) you can normally pick one up at an auto parts store for around ten bucks, if you replace the solenoid and still have the clicking then you will more than likely need a starter. Good luck and if you think I should add anything to this let me know.

THOMAS

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
Sounds good to me, doesn't sound like your missing anything.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man I try to be as thorough as I possibly can.

THOMAS

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new to this forum, which I found because I'm having the same type of issue. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the solenoid, but am trying to figure out how to get to it. The bike is a 1999 Suzuki King Quad 300. I would appreciate any assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey THOMAS. Like Timmyd, How do you get to the solenoid on a 2000 KQ? I guess that is what I here "clicking" when I push the button and it does not start. Will I need to take all the front and back fenders off to get to the solenid and starter? Or is there a better way? Thanks for all your time you give the forum guys.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am not sure what the stock location is on a 2000, if you could tell me then I will be more than happy to help you get to it. Maybe AJ has a tip or two of how to get to it. I know on my 1997 it was located under the battery kind of tucked into a hole. The starter should be accessed by taking the seat off and removing the air box and it will be right there on top of the case.

THOMAS

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems to be behind the battery box. You can just see the hot wire below and in front of the handlebars. I hope there is a better way to access than removing the front rack and plastic.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The correct way is to remove the front plastics, but you can possibly pop the louvers out right below the handlebars to try and remove it, but that is up to you.

THOMAS

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your post was very informative. I have a 91 lt4wd that sometimes cranks and sometimes the starter just spins. Could the one way clutch work sometimes and not work sometimes? I thought it just went out and that was it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1997 Suzuki Lt-4wd after many problems we had it fixed and it was running fine yesterday. When we got back from one quick ride turned it off and tryed to start it for my son to go for a ride and NOTHING! When we turn the key on the neutral light comes on, but when you push the starter button nothing happens not even a clicking noise. So I took the starter out and tested it with battery cables, it sparked and was turning.
Also what size fuses am I suppose to use for it?I'm new to this forum and all help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
Check the current fuse that's in the bike already, would imagine it's most likely a 15 or 20 amp fuse for the starter.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i had the same problem w/ the clicking i had to replace the battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a similar problem when I press the start the red fan light comes on, I hear a click not clicking (guess the solonoid) and nothing. I would like to test the starter motor but cant find it. Tried looking for the wires but they get lost under the plastic. Can someone take a pic of where it is please or be very descriptive.
Many many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
The red light is not a fan light, these bikes are not equipped with fans. They use a oil cooler which essentially uses air to cool the oil, the light you see is the oil temperature light. It will go on when starting the bike to let you know it's working, and it will also go on if the oil temperature get's to hot. The clicking you hear is probably the solenoid, though it could be the starter or a few other things also. As for the starter, i believe it's located under the air box. You'll most likely have to remove the seat and air box to get to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi AJ Mine has a fan, fan light and a button to turn it on auto and off. Wonder if its an aftermarket fit. I have found the starter under the air box near the carb so I will take it off tomorrow and try to spin it up.

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
Yes, the fan is most likely a aftermarket accessory that was added. And i retract my previous comment about the fan, i should of realized that your quad could possibly have an auxiliary fan but cause these fans are far in between i dismissed it. And now these fans are discontinued and no longer available unless you can get your hands on one maybe on Ebay. Would definitely love one on my 300 KQ that's for sure.

And yes, let us know what you find with the starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a quadrunner 250 4x4... never had a problem with it starting until one day doing work with it "shutting off and on several times" went to fire it up and I got nothing like the battery was unhooked...after jiggling connections it started the battery terminals were tight but I had a wire just come off the solenoid ..so I put it back and still got nothing. I went ahead and put a new solenoid on and checked fuses and cleaned up connections. now I have no nuetral light after seeing the post about the wire under the seat I checked that and was good..I can jump the solenoid and it'll crank over but I'm guessing without nuetral light it wont get fire so what should be my next step would it be igniting switch in the speedo the left hand control or the nuetral switch..where and how to test switch. thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
If you have no neutral light then the neutral safety switch is probably fried. That or maybe you wiggled a wire loose from the switch itself. Either way, the bike won't start unless the neutral light is lit up. But first, make sure the bulb for neutral light didn't blow or that you didn't break/wiggle a wire loose from the switch before you go ahead and buy a new one. And welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.