Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

I am new to the forum as I have just purchased my first quad bike looking forward to all the future discussion!

Right lets get to the issue, Upon test riding the quad on the flat I noticed a slight lack of engine braking when decelerating. I didn't think much of it at the time as I thought maybe its just not been ridden for a while and needs a good warm up.

Now it does get better once she has warmed up but it will still sometimes not engage when down shifting untill you give it some throttle then once again will disengage when the throttle is released. Makes for very sketchy downhill riding

I feel its selecting the gear fine how ever the auto clutch is not engaging. I feel this way as once it has engaged without touching the selector it will be in the selected gear.

I am an engineer by trade so I don't mind getting stuck in and finding the issue. My problem is I have never worked on quads and dont really know bugger all about how they operate in the transmission/clutch.

Apart from that it feels very normal to ride. Starts off well with little slipping etc.

Thanks in advance

Scott

·
Registered
607 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on getting an atv. What year/size did you get and how much miles/KMS/hrs on it?
You mentioned it’s ‘auto’ clutch so I‘m guessing it’s a CVT type that may be having the symptoms you described.

I think the simplest thing to do 1st is to take off the CVT cover and inspect the condition of the clutch components (belt is in good condition and in spec, rollers for any flat spots or dirt build up, sheaves for glazing or abnormal wear) make sure everything is clean of any dirt/sand/mud, etc.. and can move freely.

Here is a decent Youtube video on the subject, they are a few more if you search.

Let’s us know how it goes. Good Luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
If Your referring to a 300 king quad with a foot shift, your one way bearing is gone.

What type of quad do you have....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on getting an atv. What year/size did you get and how much miles/KMS/hrs on it?
You mentioned it’s ‘auto’ clutch so I‘m guessing it’s a CVT type that may be having the symptoms you described.
Auto clutch is how they describe the foot shift models years ago, cause there was no hand lever to engage and disengage the clutch like on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I think the simplest thing to do 1st is to take off the CVT cover and inspect the condition of the clutch components (belt is in good condition and in spec, rollers for any flat spots or dirt build up, sheaves for glazing or abnormal wear) make sure everything is clean of any dirt/sand/mud, etc.. and can move freely.

Here is a decent Youtube video on the subject, they are a few more if you search.

Let’s us know how it goes. Good Luck!
Hello there thanks for the reply! I dont beleive it is a CVT trans.

The bike is a 2001 Suzuki kingquad 300

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If Your referring to a 300 king quad with a foot shift, your one way bearing is gone.

What type of quad do you have....
Hello, yes its a a 2001 kingquad 300. Are there any tests/checks I can do before pulling it apart? Cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've never changed one, my 99 only has 4k on it and never leaves the farm much. I'm waiting till spring to get into my engine and replace the hi/low gears....

I did sent you a pm, hopefully you can receive them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
@Scotty8222 Ah ok, man NVM. always best to state the year and model of the machine your looking for help with. Now we know.😁

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I've done a stationary test to check one way bearing performance by having it in gear with engine off and pushing forward and backwards.
It locks up pushing forward and rolls going backwards.
Any other suggestions before I start pulling it down?
Cheers

·
Registered
1998 KQ 300
20 Posts
I believe you mentioned you feel it slipping when you start from a dead stop. have you just tried to adjust the clutch mechanism? it is behind the right rear tire.

·
Registered
1998 KQ 300
20 Posts
Cheers man have done this yet to go for a proper test ride
Happy to be able to contribute to the forum. Let me know if resolves the issue. I’m taking mine to the shop today. I ripped a CV boot, and really do not want to tear into it myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts