Suzuki ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time. My background is dirt bikes but I’m 35 now and not willing to do the stupid things I did 5 years ago. I also have more work to do on the family ranch. But to be honest that’s not why I’m getting a 4 wheeler. My father n law has a Kubota diesel SXS for that. I’ll use it for work but it’s not necessary if I’m being honest. Going back to the shop or house for things quickly will be nice. And I’ll definitely use it to get to my deer stand. I worry about the bull rubbing on my truck while parked 1/4 mile away from my stand

I will use it to pull light loads like a 4x4 harrow at my place and general yard work but will be mostly for fun. I won’t be in remote areas where my life depends on it’s reliability. But I also don’t want a machine that nickels and dimes me. That get frustrating quickly.

Polaris has made improvements from what I’ve seen and the guys that own em seem to love the comfort they provide. But some also report failures at low miles.

I’m looking closely at the KQ for the reliability, large seat for when my wife wants to hop on at the ranch and they seem like they are no slouch.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time. My background is dirt bikes but I’m 35 now and not willing to do the stupid things I did 5 years ago. I also have more work to do on the family ranch. But to be honest that’s not why I’m getting a 4 wheeler. My father n law has a Kubota diesel SXS for that. I’ll use it for work but it’s not necessary if I’m being honest. Going back to the shop or house for things quickly will be nice. And I’ll definitely use it to get to my deer stand. I worry about the bull rubbing on my truck while parked 1/4 mile away from my stand

I will use it to pull light loads like a 4x4 harrow at my place and general yard work but will be mostly for fun. I won’t be in remote areas where my life depends on it’s reliability. But I also don’t want a machine that nickels and dimes me. That get frustrating quickly.

Polaris has made improvements from what I’ve seen and the guys that own em seem to love the comfort they provide. But some also report failures at low miles.

I’m looking closely at the KQ for the reliability, large seat for when my wife wants to hop on at the ranch and they seem like they are no slouch.

Thanks again!

Yes, the little things like a comfortable seat. My son and I often ride 100-120 miles a day. Do that for three days straight on a cheap, poorly padded seat and see what it feels like. The KQ 750 has a great seat. You can’t just look at the machine superficially. You have to be analytical.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to point out the lack of heat in Suzuki atv.
I had a can am before my 2019 king quad 500, the heat on left side of the engine was really bad on a normal sommar day.
Dont know about polaris but check it out before you make up your mind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don’t believe the Polaris has heat issues like the can am.

Tinkering is fine. I enjoy that. Maintaining my stuff actually is enjoyable for me

Anything will break if you treat it poorly

I just can’t decide if a Polaris will be one I simply have to keep a closer eye on for things or just break down at no fault of my own. Some say it will but some also don’t maintain there stuff and they think because it’s powerful and has smooth long travel suspension they can ride it like a raptor 700

I like the sportsman for the looks, features and ride quality. Nobody argues it’s the smoothest riding ATV

If I were out in the bush or would ride solo in remote areas where getting back home on my machine was essential safety wise I wouldn’t consider anything but a Japanese brand due to them being so reliable. But that’s not the case for me

Seems like the King Quad is the safest bet from a cost of ownership perspective. Just have to be ok giving up some features and suspension performance. I’m almost certain the 750 power would be plenty. Probably more than I’d use if I’m being honest.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

·
Registered
2020 KQ 750
37 Posts
I'll say this...The first Suzuki I bought was a Vinson auto new in 2003 and I rode it for about 12 years before I let my Dad have it at his mountain house for checking mail, moving trailers, etc. for about 5 years and then gave it to my son. No one ever babied the machine and albeit regular maintenance was done, but that thing has always been reliable. It's been on (2) multiple day rides roughly 4 hours into the mountains in May alone for a total of about 160 miles and never skipped a beat, with the next oldest bike there being an '09 KQ. The only on the trail issue encountered has been one instance of sputtering and stalling due to the petcock needing to be rebuilt and sending trash through the lines, though that bike restarted every time after it cut off and made it out of the woods to the truck. Not bad after 16-17 years on the bike.

Last May picked a 750 for myself with no power steering and no add-ons as I'd rather do that all myself, and a 500 Power steering SE for the wife since she liked the color and wheels lol. Paid $6701 for my 750 and $7100ish OTD for the 500. I could not be happier with those bikes. They've so far performed flawlessly and done any/everything I've asked of them and can confirm that it has got an awesome seat and does a great job of managing heat. I really have no gripes, and not because I own one but there really honestly aren't any. There is plenty of power on both machines, a comfortable ride and have so far been really reliable.

I left the dealer with 27" Mudlite 2's and installed them within the week so I couldn't tell you too much about power loss, but for sure there's never been any issues with over heating and probably would've been fine with no clutch or other mods. That being said, I've got the coop mod #3 with lightened rollers and that is by far the best mod I've done $ for $ especially compared to the cost of filter/exhaust/optimizer. I also had the same mod done on my son's 2003 Vinson and I would recommend it to absolutely anyone. It really woke the bike up and now even with the 27" I can wheelie in 2H.

As far as the Polaris is concerned, I've never owned one, but I've got a good friend that has an independent powersports shop and he works on anything and everything including Harley's, has a dyno on-site and does tuning etc. and what I'm getting at it he knows his stuff inside and out and he said he would NEVER buy a Polaris. There is always at least 2 or 3 Polaris's there waiting in line. Last time i was there, there was a brand new 850 Sportsman that a guy bought and took out 1st time, got it stuck, overheated and seized up trying to follow a Brute force and Outlander through a hole. That's not necessarily what I do with my bike, but I've done it before with my Vinson and 750 and have never even seen the heat light on the dash. He's got a '19 scrambler and a Rzr 1000 that come back after every 3rd ride because they blew a belt and in the Razr's case always seems to break an axle as well. This is after whatever it cost for him to change primary and secondary clutches on both, put on severe duty EPI belts to no avail and they'd rather just pay for belts than pay him to go any further into it and start looking at shaft/bearings, etc. I hear people buy Polaris's in part becuse their excellent service and dealer support, but they won't warranty either of the aforementioned issues "due to the frequency of reoccurrence" so go figure. That's not a position I'd like to be in with my machine.

Sorry for the long winded post but it's a big purchase and hope this help's some. Here's a couple pics of ours on our last ride.

Reactions: Snook

·
Registered
191 Posts
Go to Jones Powersports in Oklahoma & talk to Chris. No sales tax for out of state buyers; just a $33 title transfer fee. I paid $8,000 for a new 2019 KQ 750, pre covid. No trade in or fees, just a check for $8k & they handed me the keys. I almost bought a Goldwing from them as well, but Houston had better prices at the time.
IMG_2727.JPG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'll say this...The first Suzuki I bought was a Vinson auto new in 2003 and I rode it for about 12 years before I let my Dad have it at his mountain house for checking mail, moving trailers, etc. for about 5 years and then gave it to my son. No one ever babied the machine and albeit regular maintenance was done, but that thing has always been reliable. It's been on (2) multiple day rides roughly 4 hours into the mountains in May alone for a total of about 160 miles and never skipped a beat, with the next oldest bike there being an '09 KQ. The only on the trail issue encountered has been one instance of sputtering and stalling due to the petcock needing to be rebuilt and sending trash through the lines, though that bike restarted every time after it cut off and made it out of the woods to the truck. Not bad after 16-17 years on the bike.

Last May picked a 750 for myself with no power steering and no add-ons as I'd rather do that all myself, and a 500 Power steering SE for the wife since she liked the color and wheels lol. Paid $6701 for my 750 and $7100ish OTD for the 500. I could not be happier with those bikes. They've so far performed flawlessly and done any/everything I've asked of them and can confirm that it has got an awesome seat and does a great job of managing heat. I really have no gripes, and not because I own one but there really honestly aren't any. There is plenty of power on both machines, a comfortable ride and have so far been really reliable.

I left the dealer with 27" Mudlite 2's and installed them within the week so I couldn't tell you too much about power loss, but for sure there's never been any issues with over heating and probably would've been fine with no clutch or other mods. That being said, I've got the coop mod #3 with lightened rollers and that is by far the best mod I've done $ for $ especially compared to the cost of filter/exhaust/optimizer. I also had the same mod done on my son's 2003 Vinson and I would recommend it to absolutely anyone. It really woke the bike up and now even with the 27" I can wheelie in 2H.

As far as the Polaris is concerned, I've never owned one, but I've got a good friend that has an independent powersports shop and he works on anything and everything including Harley's, has a dyno on-site and does tuning etc. and what I'm getting at it he knows his stuff inside and out and he said he would NEVER buy a Polaris. There is always at least 2 or 3 Polaris's there waiting in line. Last time i was there, there was a brand new 850 Sportsman that a guy bought and took out 1st time, got it stuck, overheated and seized up trying to follow a Brute force and Outlander through a hole. That's not necessarily what I do with my bike, but I've done it before with my Vinson and 750 and have never even seen the heat light on the dash. He's got a '19 scrambler and a Rzr 1000 that come back after every 3rd ride because they blew a belt and in the Razr's case always seems to break an axle as well. This is after whatever it cost for him to change primary and secondary clutches on both, put on severe duty EPI belts to no avail and they'd rather just pay for belts than pay him to go any further into it and start looking at shaft/bearings, etc. I hear people buy Polaris's in part becuse their excellent service and dealer support, but they won't warranty either of the aforementioned issues "due to the frequency of reoccurrence" so go figure. That's not a position I'd like to be in with my machine.

Sorry for the long winded post but it's a big purchase and hope this help's some. Here's a couple pics of ours on our last ride.

View attachment 21116 View attachment 21117 View attachment 21118
Thanks for the feedback! How did you get such great deals and where did you buy from? If I could get a great deal on a KQ then game over on Polaris.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Go to Jones Powersports in Oklahoma & talk to Chris. No sales tax for out of state buyers; just a $33 title transfer fee. I paid $8,000 for a new 2019 KQ 750, pre covid. No trade in or fees, just a check for $8k & they handed me the keys. I almost bought a Goldwing from them as well, but Houston had better prices at the time.
View attachment 21119
Thanks for the info, I’ll do that. It would be a drive to do it but worth it if I can save that much!

How has the paint held up on the plastic? I really like the matte grey.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The 22s are already released. That grey with black wheels looks sweet! Pretty pricey also..

·
Registered
2020 KQ 750
37 Posts
View attachment 21119
For sure, +1 on heading out of state and paying cash if they don't charge sales tax and that's feasible for you. I'm in the Northern VA metro area just outside DC and dealer prices anywhere near here are stupid expensive OTD compared to a couple hour drive west.

·
Registered
2020 KQ 750
37 Posts
The 22s are already released. That grey with black wheels looks sweet! Pretty pricey also..
Agreed, the grey with black wheels does look killer. I've even thought about what it would take to swap those gray plastics on mine, if it's even possible but that's a project for another day a long ways off.

I bought from Spencer at Romney Cycle in WV and couldn't be happier, but that's probably a bit of a haul for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the info, I’ll do that. It would be a drive to do it but worth it if I can save that much!

How has the paint held up on the plastic? I really like the matte grey.
The thin, brittle looking plastics are the only thing I didn't like about the Suzuki, but they're holding up fine and haven't cracked. Not better that regular plastics, but it's fine. My thigh rubbing the fuel tank seemed to polish a shiny spot on the matte paint. Otherwise it's fine. I primarily ride Sam Houston Ntl Forest & the trails are literally 50" wide, so any branches will cut grooves in any bikes plastics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The thin, brittle looking plastics are the only thing I didn't like about the Suzuki, but they're holding up fine and haven't cracked. Not better that regular plastics, but it's fine. My thigh rubbing the fuel tank seemed to polish a shiny spot on the matte paint. Otherwise it's fine. I primarily ride Sam Houston Ntl Forest & the trails are literally 50" wide, so any branches will cut grooves in any bikes plastics.
I used to ride dirt bikes there as a kid. I was told the trails are now too narrow for an ATV and it’s just dirt bikes out there. But I guess that’s not correct. I’m in College Station so not that far. Family lake house is in Point Blank on lake Livingston. When I get one I’m down to meet up and ride!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agreed, the grey with black wheels does look killer. I've even thought about what it would take to swap those gray plastics on mine, if it's even possible but that's a project for another day a long ways off.

I bought from Spencer at Romney Cycle in WV and couldn't be happier, but that's probably a bit of a haul for you.
Haha. I bought mine at Romney as well

·
Registered
2020 KQ 750
37 Posts
Haha. I bought mine at Romney as well
When I went and picked mine up I had an appointment for when they opened at 9 on a Friday and took about a big hour to get it all done with looking around and shooting the breeze and no lie, there were 3 more trucks with trailers in tow coming to pick up. Talked to one guy and he drove in about 9 hours from IL and the others had TN and OH tags. Luckily only a couple hours for me. Long haul for you or localish?

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I went and picked mine up I had an appointment for when they opened at 9 on a Friday and took about a big hour to get it all done with looking around and shooting the breeze and no lie, there were 3 more trucks with trailers in tow coming to pick up. Talked to one guy and he drove in about 9 hours from IL and the others had TN and OH tags. Luckily only a couple hours for me. Long haul for you or localish?
I had mine shipped to indiana. $350. Used an app called UShip

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I’m in central TX so Jones Power sports in OK may be the best option.

What I’m curious to know is what discount did the dealer offer on top of the factory rebate for y’all? There are no factory rebates right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just went to their website and they have a few in stock. $1000 of the EPS model. Not bad!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just went to their website and they have a few in stock. $1000 of the EPS model. Not bad!
I was $1000 off msrp, no tax, and $107 total extra for prep and setup. I paid $9107 cash for a 2021 750 with power steering. Before covid, I would have paid $2000 less…..

21 - 40 of 60 Posts