Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum and hoping I can get some advice on my purchase, buying new.

I’m considering a KQ 750, sportsman 850 or sportsman XP 1000 S(the big 55” wide version). Very different machines, I know. I like the S because of all the upgraded parts it gets. It’s almost like a ranger/rzr with handlebars.

I live in central TX and all the trails here are privately owned so the width of the wide Polaris isn’t an issue other that I’ll have to trailer it. I’ll also use it to hunt and play on our family 420 acre ranch, work some around my property and cruise around our semi rural area. Everyone rides SXS, golf carts and 4 wheelers around here. It won’t be used as a submarine of that makes any difference.

I’ve watched every YouTube video I could find so I get the general idea of both.

Mainly what I’d like to know from owners with 19-21 KQ models is how you like it as far as the ride quality, power, reliability, etc. Any electrical, overheating issues, etc. I’d like to put 26-27” big horn type tires on it pretty quickly. If there’s any advice on fitment, need for clutch work to go up a size or two and advice there is appreciated.

This is obviously a Suzuki forum so I don’t expect much feedback on a Polaris. I know Polaris doesn’t have a great reputation for being reliable. That’s why I’m considering a Japanese brand and I think I like the KQ the most.

Also has anyone found a decent deal on one. The dealer I talked to wants MSRP, $1000 in freight and doc fees. I know right now you can’t get an awesome deal but looking to hopefully not pay more than MSRP OTD. I’m ag exempt.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone is willing to offer. Jason

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just joined the forum and hoping I can get some advice on my purchase, buying new.

I’m considering a KQ 750, sportsman 850 or sportsman XP 1000 S(the big 55” wide version). Very different machines, I know. I like the S because of all the upgraded parts it gets. It’s almost like a ranger/rzr with handlebars.

I live in central TX and all the trails here are privately owned so the width of the wide Polaris isn’t an issue other that I’ll have to trailer it. I’ll also use it to hunt and play on our family 420 acre ranch, work some around my property and cruise around our semi rural area. Everyone rides SXS, golf carts and 4 wheelers around here. It won’t be used as a submarine of that makes any difference.

I’ve watched every YouTube video I could find so I get the general idea of both.

Mainly what I’d like to know from owners with 19-21 KQ models is how you like it as far as the ride quality, power, reliability, etc. Any electrical, overheating issues, etc. I’d like to put 26-27” big horn type tires on it pretty quickly. If there’s any advice on fitment, need for clutch work to go up a size or two and advice there is appreciated.

This is obviously a Suzuki forum so I don’t expect much feedback on a Polaris. I know Polaris doesn’t have a great reputation for being reliable. That’s why I’m considering a Japanese brand and I think I like the KQ the most.

Also has anyone found a decent deal on one. The dealer I talked to wants MSRP, $1000 in freight and doc fees. I know right now you can’t get an awesome deal but looking to hopefully not pay more than MSRP OTD. I’m ag exempt.

I’d say wait a few months, and find a reasonably priced kingquad. I didn’t pay taxes (out of state), and dealer fees were $107. 1 year ago I could have paid $2000 less. If you can wait, and it’s worth it for you to do so, I’d say wait and save $2k. I’m impatient and just found the best deal I could and had mine shipped. Shipping is t that high

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’d say wait a few months, and find a reasonably priced kingquad. I didn’t pay taxes (out of state), and dealer fees were $107. 1 year ago I could have paid $2000 less. If you can wait, and it’s worth it for you to do so, I’d say wait and save $2k. I’m impatient and just found the best deal I could and had mine shipped. Shipping is t that high
I bought the kingquad because I hunt, and they’re very quiet compared to other big bores, and they also have a long seat (I have an 11 year old that hunts with me) with little to no heat between the knees. It depends on what you’re trying to do with this, and what your needs are. If I didn’t care about the noise, didn’t need extra seat space for my boy, and didn’t care about high heat between the knees, my number 2 would have been a Grizzly. I’d never buy a Polaris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man. What do you mean when you say wait? Better factory incentives late in the year? Here in TX ATVs are sold either before they show up or will be within days if not hrs. I’m an independent contractor so I can easily say off and make a road trip if I find a deal. But right now it’s hard just to find one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the kingquad because I hunt, and they’re very quiet compared to other big bores, and they also have a long seat (I have an 11 year old that hunts with me) with little to no heat between the knees. It depends on what you’re trying to do with this, and what your needs are. If I didn’t care about the noise, didn’t need extra seat space for my boy, and didn’t care about high heat between the knees, my number 2 would have been a Grizzly. I’d never buy a Polaris
My two options are narrowed down to these two largely because of the seat. My wife will ride with me on the ranch.

How do you like the suspension? Fairly comfortable for two?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks man. What do you mean when you say wait? Better factory incentives late in the year? Here in TX ATVs are sold either before they show up or will be within days if not hrs. I’m an independent contractor so I can easily say off and make a road trip if I find a deal. But right now it’s hard just to find one.
They’re hard to come by right now, but covid has opened up, and hopefully production has increased with demand going down. They’ll sell extras at the end of the year or the beginning of next for cheap, assuming that all happens. Yes, I’m speculating. I bought mine now because who knows. I’ve been looking at prices for a few years because I’m weird, and I could have bought 2019 leftovers in 2020, 750 without power steering, for $5999. Should have done that

·
Registered
43 Posts
My two options are narrowed down to these two largely because of the seat. My wife will ride with me on the ranch.

How do you like the suspension? Fairly comfortable for two?
KQ has an adjustable suspension, but I haven’t needed to change anything. If you want light, there are 4 settings. The ride won’t be a problem

·
Registered
43 Posts
No….that’s not what I paid. I bought power steering, and paid much more than that. Just saying when it’s not crazy, those are the prices that can be had

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put on a bison front guard, a bison rear guard, and added a superwinch synthetic 4000# winch. If you really want a second rider, they make seats for that. I’m very happy with my setup, but there are so many aftermarket add ons…that’s the fun part

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I’ve seen there are no deals in sight unless you buy a Polaris. You can get $1500 off one today

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don’t buy what you don’t want…or what you will have regrets with. My 4wheeler will last me 20 years. A Polaris will not. Price today vs. the cost of repairs, down time, and overall dissatisfaction make an easy decision for me. If price is the issue, go without power steering, or go to a 500, or wait a year and save thousands. Don’t buy a Polaris. Many dealers won’t even take them in on trade because no one will buy a used Polaris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I look for YouTube videos on Polaris models they are usually brand new and guys love em. It’s hard to get feedback from owners that have had one for more than a couple years so why you’re saying makes sense. Truth is I like the sportsman more because of the suspension and features but I’m considering the KQ for the reasons you just mentioned. I don’t understand how the number 1 seller can be so unreliable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They’re cheaper, with cheaper parts. And most guys ride them lighter. Guys feel like they got a deal, ride them 100 or less hours a year, so they last 5 years without a problem and they don’t complain. Lots of guys also buy department store lawn mowers for a few hundred dollars less than a solid mower. They’re happy when they last several years, but if they’d have went to their local dealer, they’d most likely have a mower that’d last 20 years with descent maintenance. It’s the thought that I spent a little less, but unfortunately got a lot less of a product…

·
Registered
43 Posts
You simply cannot compare a Polaris to a Suzuki or a Yamaha. There’s a reason they’re offering a discount, when no other premium brand is

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you ever owned a Polaris and had a bad experience? What went wrong?

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t know where to start. You are correct about this being a Suzuki forum and getting biased opinions........... however........ I tend to call it as I see it. Many members here are 100% loyal Suzuki fans and would defend them to their death. Is the product great and therefore we own it, or we own it therefore it has to be great? For all intents and purposes, you just did the equivalent of walking into a Toyota dealer and asking them what they think about a Nissan.

I will tell you this, I have owned a Polaris. it was my first ATV. I bought it used, cheap and as an impulse purchase so I could ride with my then 10 year old son for his first ride off our property. It was ok. Just ok. Can I compare it with the Polaris machines made today, no, I can’t . This is where first hand experience and reality takes a detour and hearsay merges with experience at the intersection of second hand knowledge and wisdom.

My second, third, fourth and current ATVs along with my sons third, fourth and fifth ATVs have all been Suzuki’s. Ozarks, Vinsons and King Quads for both of us. His current ride is a 2009 KQ 750, which I handed down to him after I bought my 2020 KQ 750. The latter two are both great machines. The Vinson was no slouch either and only needed to replace the SRA with and IRS to be considered more seriously. None of the aforementioned were anything less than 100% reliable and a pleasure to own. None ever left us stranded, wanting for more power, in need of a winch, or suffering from post purchase dissonance. The Ozark with its 249cc engine may have been the exception to the wanting for more power claim, if you were to ask my son.

My son and I require a machine to be completely reliable and dependable. We often ride in areas that are somewhat deserted. Places where you don’t want to break down. We have at times been out for days and never seen another human. Personally, I would only do that on a Suzuki. Ask the same question on a Polaris forum and you may hear the accolades of Polaris reliability. Peel back the onion and ask about maintenance costs over a five year ownership period and a different story will emerge.

I will say this however, if I wanted to own an ATV as a farmer and use it to tow heavy loads, I would consider, although perhaps briefly, but I would still consider purchasing a Polaris. They are heavier machines with larger engines. They do have good tow capacities.

I personally know of several people that own Polaris machines. I find it funny when we try to ride together and they tell the group they can’t make it this weekend, their ATV is in the shop getting worked on. Again.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts