Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 98 quadrunner but it burns a lot of oil and loses oil ahead of the engine. I have to refill the oil almost every hour because it empties. sometimes it has trouble starting but it's not as bad since I adjusted the carburettor. would it be better to buy a rebuild kit? otherwise I heard it could be the piston rings?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Tread Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender Wood

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender Wood

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
I would fix the leak first then do a top end rebuild. If your burning oil the rings are most likely done. If your having to add oil every hour, that’s quite a substantial amount. And rebuilding the carburetor before you get these issues resolved would be kind of pointless.

Judging from one of your images, it looks like the head is all covered in oil. My guess is the valve inspection cap o-rings probably need replacing. I’ve been one this forum for 12 years, and I believe that is the worst oil consumption that I’ve seen. And hard starts can be attributed to a few things. Most times it’s either carburetor or valve related. I would check your valve clearances first before fiddling with the carb. Though I would deal with your other serious issues first.

Reactions: Etienne

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
258 Posts
Re-fill the oil "almost every hour".... That's a Lot of Oil Man! Kang and AJ are Exactly Right! Fix all your leaks before doing anything else. That baby's Polluting the Woods!! LOL!

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Re-fill the oil "almost every hour".... That's a Lot of Oil Man! Kang and AJ are Exactly Right! Fix all your leaks before doing anything else. That baby's Polluting the Woods!! LOL!
Would keep the mosquitoes away at least, lol.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you run the engine out of oil and ruin the rod bearing the price of a rebuild will go up dramatically. You might be able to get away with new seals and possibly a top end rebuild i would stop riding it now until you can keep it from leaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts