Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I need help with my 2004 Suzuki ltz400 the quad is not starting just cranks. So i did a top end rebuilt new gaskets and I put a new wiseco piston in and new spark plug. Fresh new oil and antifreeze. Quad still don’t start just keeps on cranking sounds like it does have compression and I check if it has spark and yes it does but the spark plug was dry not wet. So I cleaned the carburetor and still have the same problem quad won’t start and spark plug still dry. The quad only starts when I push start it but then it dies when I stop giving it gas it doesn’t idle by itself. I don’t know what else to do please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,569 Posts
Have you checked to see if the fuel pump is working..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello I need help with my 2004 Suzuki ltz400 the quad is not starting just cranks. So i did a top end rebuilt new gaskets and I put a new wiseco piston in and new spark plug. Fresh new oil and antifreeze. Quad still don’t start just keeps on cranking sounds like it does have compression and I check if it has spark and yes it does but the spark plug was dry not wet. So I cleaned the carburetor and still have the same problem quad won’t start and spark plug still dry. The quad only starts when I push start it but then it dies when I stop giving it gas it doesn’t idle by itself. I don’t know what else to do please help!!!
Have you checked to see if the fuel pump is working..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes I have check the fuel pump and it’s good. Bike don’t start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
LTZ400 before 2009 did not have a fuel pump (2003-2008 is carbed gravity feed with vacuum petcock.). I just went through the same problem. and after a new coil, plug, stator, and CDI. i found the prolem was the float adjustment in the carb. If you know y0our petcock is flowing, and your hose/filter is not clogged, then check if the flaot drops 8-10mm from the bottom flange to the bottom fot he float. Mine was 13mm, and it just wasnt letting in enough gas to run. i bent the tab on ti and got it to 10mm, and then it fired right up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LTZ400 before 2009 did not have a fuel pump (2003-2008 is carbed gravity feed with vacuum petcock.). I just went through the same problem. and after a new coil, plug, stator, and CDI. i found the prolem was the float adjustment in the carb. If you know y0our petcock is flowing, and your hose/filter is not clogged, then check if the flaot drops 8-10mm from the bottom flange to the bottom fot he float. Mine was 13mm, and it just wasnt letting in enough gas to run. i bent the tab on ti and got it to 10mm, and then it fired right up.
Okay thanks I will check the fuel petcock and float. Also I didn’t hone the cylinder when I put in the new piston kit And the cylinder was scratch up do you think that can cause no compression? Because I got 0 psi in the compression test.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on how deep. If it is dry, you can try putting a capful or 2 of ATF in the spark plug hole and turn it slow a bit. Put plug in, but no wire, then check compression again. Also did you check valve lash? If you have a valve open it will cause no compression. I had a cupped valve and had to replace it right after I did my BBK. My vote is valve clearance causing the problem more so than scratches, unless they were real bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends on how deep. If it is dry, you can try putting a capful or 2 of ATF in the spark plug hole and turn it slow a bit. Put plug in, but no wire, then check compression again. Also did you check valve lash? If you have a valve open it will cause no compression. I had a cupped valve and had to replace it right after I did my BBK. My vote is valve clearance causing the problem more so than scratches, unless they were real bad.
I haven’t check my valve clearance and the scratches were not deep I did the top end rebuilt my self and it started good and idle good but it was leaking coolant so I open the engine up again and now this time it don’t start it only starts push start and timing is good and piston is brand new and brand new spark plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts