Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a quad runner LT250F and I noticed it is burning oil,
A lot of blue smoke comes out when it is cold and just started, then it gets a little bit better after running for a while,
How bad it is? I’m thinking it could be the seals, but l’m not sure if they are difficult to change, any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
If your getting blue smoke out the exhaust, it’s more then likely the rings. Only other way you could burn oil would be if your crankcase is overfilled. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply,
Do you know if it’s difficult to change the rings?
I will look for a YouTube video of how to change them any other suggestions

have a great weekend,
:)

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Unless somebody else chimes in to to walk you through the process, YouTube would probably be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
664 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply,
Do you know if it’s difficult to change the rings?
I will look for a YouTube video of how to change them any other suggestions

have a great weekend,
:)
If you are just seeing a bit of blue smoke once it warms up and otherwise, it runs ok, I would leave it alone. If the performance has suffered and you are up to a rebuild, that’s a different story. Like AJL719 recommended, check your oil level.

My thoughts are if it is running well, carry some extra oil and a spare spark plug with you. Oil is cheap enough and you can swap plugs easily if it gets oil fouled. Rebuilding the motor is going to take some time. It is best done when it is necessary and off season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are just seeing a bit of blue smoke once it warms up and otherwise, it runs ok, I would leave it alone. If the performance has suffered and you are up to a rebuild, that’s a different story. Like AJL719 recommended, check your oil level.

My thoughts are if it is running well, carry some extra oil and a spare spark plug with you. Oil is cheap enough and you can swap plugs easily if it gets oil fouled. Rebuilding the motor is going to take some time. It is best done when it is necessary and off season.
Thanks John,
I just checked and it looks like the oil level was too high. I saw a leak that is coming form one of the valves in top of the motor.
One question, I notice when the motor is running the level is in the top line of the mark, but when is not running and cold the oil cover all the glass, when should I check the oil level, when the motor is warm or could?

best regards,

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
To much oil can cause various issues as the access pressure can cause leaks in seals, or elsewhere. And it can also work it's way to the spark plug which would present itself as blue smoke. The correct oil level when the engine is off and on a level plain should be in between both sets of lines on the sight glass. Example bellow:

If the oil level in your sight glass is above the top line, or the glass is completely full when the engine is off. Then you have too much oil which is most likely the cause of your blue smoke. Operating your atv with to much oil for prolonged periods of time can cause further damage to seals and other components. If you have the correct oil level when the engine is running, oil should almost be non visible on the sight glass. On a level plain, you'd see a bit of oil splashing up against the sight glass if anything. You should always check your oil when your bike is on as level surface as possible. Failure to do so can or will result in a insufficient oil reading, or a reading that is showing to much.

·
Super Moderator
664 Posts
Thanks John,
I just checked and it looks like the oil level was too high. I saw a leak that is coming form one of the valves in top of the motor.
One question, I notice when the motor is running the level is in the top line of the mark, but when is not running and cold the oil cover all the glass, when should I check the oil level, when the motor is warm or could?

best regards,
Glad that is the problem.

To much oil can cause various issues as the access pressure can cause leaks in seals, or elsewhere. And it can also work it's way to the spark plug which would present itself as blue smoke. The correct oil level when the engine is off and on a level plain should be in between both sets of lines on the sight glass. Example bellow:

View attachment 20941

If the oil level in your sight glass is above the top line, or the glass is completely full when the engine is off. Then you have too much oil which is most likely the cause of your blue smoke. Operating your atv with to much oil for prolonged periods of time can cause further damage to seals and other components. If you have the correct oil level when the engine is running, oil should almost be non visible on the sight glass. On a level plain, you'd see a bit of oil splashing up against the sight glass if anything. You should always check your oil when your bike is on as level surface as possible. Failure to do so can or will result in a insufficient oil reading, or a reading that is showing to much.
I couldn’t have said it any better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts