Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from my past couple posts you guys know I got screwed on a trade for this eiger.

I found an honest mechanic who installed a new timing chain for me. So now it runs (barely)

The carb needs a total rebuild as it DUMPS gas into the cylinder - so much so that when I rev it up I get crazy backfires & have gas billowing out the exhaust.

Plus - & more concerning - it doesn't want to go.

The mechanic said the clutch disks were toast & he thought someone had tried to pull start the quad thus burning them out.

When I look through the manual though there is a drive belt in there - is it possible the drive belt is the culprit?

I will figure out how to rebuild the carb - cant be that hard can it? But I'm not sure what to do about the clutches/belt.

Any advice? I'm sure after I get these last major repairs done I'll have years or reliable service - & I know - you get what you pay for & I don't want to pay for a new one.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
If you get gas dumping into the cylinder that can be one of two things, or both. Either the float in the carb is sticking which is causing fuel to be dumped into the cylinder, or your fuel petcock is bad which can cause the same situation. And i would also check your oil for fuel contamination if you are having that problem. But the first thing i would check is the fuel petcock as it's relatively simple to check. For this all you need to do is pull the vacuum line (Smaller Line), off at the fuel petcock. If gas comes out the vacuum line or the port where you removed that line then the fuel petcock is bad and should be replaced. As for the carb, you'll need to disassemble it and soak the carb body and jets in carb cleaner. Or you can try this method out which a lot of people say works great, better then carb cleaner: ( http://www.suzukiatvforums.com/forums/repair-maintenance/2706-home-brewed-carb-cleaning.html). While your at it pay close attention to each jet by cleaning out each orifice with a small wire then blowing them clean with compressed air. After you've done all that buy yourself a carb kit and install it in the carb. Then set the float and all the adjustments to spec and re-install it in the atv and give it a go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for the advice - I'm pretty sure the petcock is bad - the mechanic said the crank case was full of gas when he worked on it.

I'll get the carb kit & clean it out. My mechanic said to take the jets & heat them red hot with a torch & blow them out with compressed air - he said he's had better luck doing that vs. trying to feed a wire through - in either case - I have some work to do there.

The carb / petcock really isn't my main concern though - its the clutch / belt issue.

When I took the quad on trade I was able to drive it around the yard all day - spun the tires & ran really fast - I had some slippage in deep snow in high transfer, but when I shifted to low it was all good.

The mechanic thinks the gas in the crank ruined the clutches - is there an additive or slick50 or something I can add to the oil that could bring that back? I know they were good - or at least good enough - now I got nothin'

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Leave the clutches for now, get that oil out of the crankcase and remove the vacuum line from the petcock and plug it up. Set the carb to prime and reinstall the clean carb and give it a shot. Once you know that it runs run some oil through it and then worry about the clutches.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
As KingQuadRunner stated, you can bypass the fuel petcock and run the atv in the Pri (Prime) position, but if you do so make sure you return the valve on the fuel petcock back to the On position or you'll risk oil contamination again if you leave it on Pri with the atv off. However, if you're fuel petcock is that far gone and fuel is slowly leaking into the crankcase then band-aid fixing it may not solve the problem. You're best bet would be to replace the fuel petcock and do away with the problem altogether.

As for the clutch slipping, that could of been caused by the fuel contaminating the oil in the crankcase as you mechanic stated. However, it could also be normal wear and tear which may be causing the clutch to simply slip. If anything try adjusting the clutch first to see if that helps the issue.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I didn't mean run it like that forever. I just meant to run it until you know that's the problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
I didn't mean run it like that forever. I just meant to run it until you know that's the problem.
I think we had a little misunderstanding KingQuadRunner. I wasn't stating that your idea wasn't a good idea. Because a lot of people actually run it this way and leave it, which is o.k if you add a inline shut off valve. The only concern i had with this was that if he accidentally left the fuel petcock set to the Pri position after shutting the atv off that he would risk oil contamination. And lastly, everyone has their own method of doing things which is perfectly fine. I'm just the type of guy that if something screws up or needs replacing that I'll do just that. That's just personal preference, so no hard feelings man. And I'd probably do the same thing if i was in a bind until i could get it fixed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rebuilt the carb - cleaned everything etc.

The quad seems to run pretty good now believe it or not!

The petcock is junk - at one point I had trouble getting gas to come out the line in prime. Another time I had gas coming out the overflow.

So - with the vacuum line disconnected & the choke on it will idle - with some white smoke at the exhaust. If I plug the vacuum line with my finger the engine dies.

With the vacuum line plugged I can get it to run without the choke on. BUT - I can't rev the engine at all. It will pop & sputter & die.

So - new petcock is in order -

NOW for the interesting part.....When I shift into gear (either reverse or forward) I get a really heavy engagement - the entire quad shutters or jumps going into gear.

When I give it gas though - it revs up, backfires, sputters & dies. But it does not move - nor does it feel like it wants to move. But shifting into gear gets such a satisfying engagement it makes me wonder what the heck is wrong.

Little by little I'll get this thing going.

So what next?

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Part of the problem might be that the screens on the pick up tubes are partially clogged which could be constricting your fuel flow and allowing for erratic revving, idling, and backfiring. The screens on the pick tubes are part of the new fuel petcock assembly, and if that's the case may cure the problem once you replace it. So i would replace that first then go from there. Once you get the erratic revving, idling, and backfiring under control, then I'd move on to solving the heavy engagement (Lunging), when you slap it into gear. Only then can you determine if the erratic revving or idling is what's causing your problem heavy engagement, (Lunging).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks - new petcock on order - holy moly those are not cheap.

My issue isn't the lunging - I am OK with a solid engagement - my issue is, after put in gear the quad will not move forward or backward.

If I rev it up while in gear it will backfire, but not move.

This may help - When the engine dies I can hear something inside spinning like crazy. It slowly comes to a stop.

I have yet to open the case - I will try the clutch adjustment procedure but I'm not holding out hope.

I bet once I open this thing up there will be guts & parts everywhere : (

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Always best to start with the clutch adjustment first and go from there. It may or may not work, but if it does it'll save you the trouble of having to crack open the case. Which you may have to end up doing anyway.

And yes, the fuel petcocks aren't cheap. I had to replace mine a few years back and i was surprised on how much they actually cost.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK - I adjusted the clutch today & low & behold it moves! Barely.

The clutches are toast - on flat land I can get it to move about 10mph but that's it. It will not go up hill.

So - I'm going to put it on the shelf for a while & save up my pennies for a couple of parts.

Ive seen clutch packs for as cheap as $40 & well over $120 - they all seem to have the same number of parts - any advice on which packs will give me the most low end torque? I would like to drag deer & all - so far it barely drags my big ass.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
If you adjusted the clutch properly and you got some movement out of it but not much, then it sounds like the clutch is shot and that you'll need to replace it. As for which clutch pack to get, i would suggest replacing it with a OEM clutch pack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the clutch pack last night - of course not without some issue.

All the pictures I see online show a belt that connects the starter clutch to the main clutch - mine doesn't have that. Apparently I have the 2002 Eiger 4wd LT-400F which doesn't appear to have been used for long.

2002 Suzuki Eiger 4WD (LT-F400F) CLUTCH | Babbitts Suzuki Parts House

This needs to be removed in order to get the clutch basket out - the nut that holds this on is a left handed thread. I know this because my impact wrench stripped the threads right off of it.

Lucky for me the part is like $4.00 - unlucky for me it will be a week before I get it in - so not sure yet if it will move - I expect so.

1 question though - this starter clutch has weights & springs - as the engine goes faster centrifugal force pulls the weights out & they touch the housing that then spins the clutch pack through a gear. The weights on my starter clutch seem to be in bad shape. They look burned on the business end - & ward or a little melted - just more proof that someone has totally jacked this ATV around.

I hope this isn't a problem because the replacement is $220 - I almost have this damn thing going - but I don't need any more major headaches.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the clutch disks I took out didn't look all that bad - I mean they were not down to bare metal though they were very thin. I just hope it was the clutch disks & not the centrifugal clutch that was causing my issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the long delay guys - here's the story.

I replaced the clutch & the quad wont move.

There is a second clutch - the centrifugal clutch what transfers the engine power to the transmission - it is TOTALLY FRIED.

I am having a FIT trying to find the clutch packs for this thing.

2002 Eiger - I found a set on ebay & when they arrived they were very close - but not right.

Does anyone know where to source centrifugal clutch packs for this quad?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I know this is an old post but wondered if you got it going an what was the cause i came across this vidoe for anyone that might be interested

·
Registered
164 Posts
stick with it- once working the Eiger is a beast- I use it for utility- trails- snow- pulling trailer- and it is good at pushing through and over trees and even knocks quite a few down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts