Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kingquad 500 and the 7 year old stock tires are showing wear. I was thinking about getting outlaw 27 by 9.5 by 12s. Would that be to much tire for the belt and stuff? I was also thing about Kendra bear claws. What would be the best tire for trail and mud that wouldn’t hurt my stock bike? What is the max weight and tire size for a stock kingquad? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
You’d be better off going with the Kenda Bear Claes. 27” Outlaws are pretty aggressive tires. You’d definitely feel some power loss. With that much tire, you’d have to either shim the clutch or do the coop3 mod. I’m looking at getting the Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s for my 750 hopefully this summer or next. Haven’t heard one negative comment about them. Only that everyone loves em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. My friend has bear claws and has recommended them too so I think I know what to go with.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
98 Posts
If your doing more mudding but with some nice trail riding, i have 28" Mega Mayhems on my 500(28-9x12 front 28-11x12 rear). I also have added 2mm worth of shims to the clutch and replaced the stock roller weights with 16gram weights. We went out to a mud bogging event this new years w/e. My friend drove the 500 mentioned above all weekend and we put the KQ's through some of the worst mudding i've seen yet. My 750 and the 500 simply chewed through most everything. the 500 had zero issues turning 28" tires in that mud with just those simple clutch mods( also my friend is a big fella, 300+ lbs). Add the Coop#3 mod like mentioned above( i have it on my 750) and 30" tires is something to consider, although i wouldnt go super aggressive. As far as the outlaws go, i'd stay away. I think they are quite heavy and im noticing more and more people selling them on social media. Even before i did clutch work to the 500, it still turned 27" mega meyhams no problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good to know. I’m just a teen so I’m not sure I want to mess with the clutching just yet, but thanks. Maybe something to consider in the future

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
Just remember the bigger the tire you go with the more effort it takes to turn them. When I do get the Bear Claw HTR’s, I’m most likely going to go up a inch in size to 26”. I’m still undecided. I remember someone on this Forum telling me with 26” Bear Claws that I’d lose a little bit of performance. And I also don’t want to mess with the clutch at all. So I’m not sure if I want to stick with the stock size (25”) and have no performance loss. Or go up a size (26”) and lose a tiny bit of performance. Just weigh out all your options before you chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd stick with stock size & as lite (light?) as possible. I installed Kenda Bear Claw HTR and am impressed with them. A little too much bite for my trails, but nice riding tires.
IMG_2062 (1).JPG

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been running and will forever stay with the 27x8x12 front and 27x10 or 12x12 original design not radial, Maxxis Mud Bugs on both my current KingQuad 750 and past Sportsman 425 ATVs. I always go up to the 27" sizes to gain that little bit of extra ground clearance. You will lose some power to get them turning but if you are typically on slow going trails, you should be in low range anyway so you most likely won't notice. The Mud Bugs are one of if not the lightest, 27" tires on the market at about 21 lbs each. From what I remember, their actual inflated dimensions are more closely matched to the stock inflated dimensions. What I mean by that is say for example, these numbers are not the actual numbers this is just for example purposes, the stock tires are an inflated height (properly inflated) of 25.75" tall on the fronts, and 25.25" tall on the rears, see that inflated difference of a half an inch between front and rear? When I was on the market for tires 5 years ago, I remember the Mud Bugs out of all the tires were about identical in regards to the inflated height difference in the same places, 27.75" tall front, 27.25" tall rear. They still maintained the same inflated difference in the right places.

The reason to consider this is for proper gear ratio on the front diff. Just tossing on any set without checking into their inflated measurements might throw your gear ratio off and cause excessive wear on the front diff gears. All front diffs are geared to spin slightly faster than the rear, ATVs, AWD cars, trucks, all of them. When you mess with that ratio, depending on how drastically, bad things can happen up front.

My Sportsman 400 was purely stock, had a stock 425 engine in it at about 23 hp with no mods at all.Jjust tires and a slightly lifted front end to allow the Mud Bugs to have adequate clearance in the fender wells. In low range I was able to get that ATV to pick the front wheels off the ground going uphill if the terrain gave me the little extra bump to get them there. As a little extra thought, those Mud Bugs on the Sportsman were put on in 2003, had about 4000 kms of aggressive rocky trail time on them and were still holding up very well when I traded it in for my KingQuad in 2015. Any ATV tire that will last 12+ years of hard trail only use and keep coming back for more is a well worth it tire to consider :) One other thought, ask yourself why the farming industry hasn't changed the tread design of tractor tires by much over the last century...monster trucks too, they know the design works, they've had a lifetime of proving it :)

013481.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts