Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning on buying a new 2021/2022 750 King Quad next spring. Currently i have a 2007 Vinson and i think it steers pretty easy i don't have too many complaints about it. But i road my friends Canned Ham Outlander 1000 and it has what i think he called adaptive power steering. After riding it i realised how nice power steering is and i was going to get a King Quad with power steering. That was until i read this post Power Steering

From the sounds of Suzuki's power steering it makes it harder to turn at low speeds and easier to turn at high speeds. That is the opposite of what i want. I want easier turning when im trail riding and trying to turn out of ruts and Vee'd out hill climbs when the steering is really fighting you. So if power steering is going to make this even worse than it is now i don't want it.

So should i buy the King Quad without power steering? My Vinson's steering is generally fine unless i get into some really bad terrain where i have to really muscle the bars to get the wheels to turn. I have no desire to have easier turning while riding fast.

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
I am planning on buying a new 2021/2022 750 King Quad next spring. Currently i have a 2007 Vinson and i think it steers pretty easy i don't have too many complaints about it. But i road my friends Canned Ham OutLander 100 and it has what i think he called adaptive power steering. After riding it i realised how nice power steering is and i was going to get a King Quad with power steering. That was until i read this post Power Steering

From the sounds of Suzuki's power steering it makes it harder to turn at low speeds and easier to turn at high speeds. That is the opposite of what i want. I want easier turning when im trail riding and trying to turn out of ruts and Vee'd out hill climbs when the steering is really fighting you. So if power steering is going to make this even worse than it is now i don't want it.

So should i buy the King Quad without power steering? My Vinson's steering is generally fine unless i get into some really bad terrain where i have to really muscle the bars to get the wheels to turn. I have no desire to have easier turning while riding fast.
I was actually going to refer you to that post.

None of my ATVs have power steering. I don’t feel the need for PS. If you aren‘t a big guy, you might disagree with me. I have spoken with gentlemen that are of slight builds that have told me they hit bumps with just one wheel and felt like they were going to get the handlebars ripped from their grip. I have never had this sensation despite thousands of miles logged on many ATVs . I don’t baby my machine either.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
I was actually going to refer you to that post.

None of my ATVs have power steering. I don’t feel the need for PS. If you aren‘t a big guy, you might disagree with me. I have spoken with gentlemen that are of slight builds that have told me they hit bumps with just one wheel and felt like they were going to get the handlebars ripped from their grip. I have never had this sensation despite thousands of miles logged on many ATVs . I don’t baby my machine either.
None of your 750’s have power steering John..? I was under the assumption that your 2021 model at least had it. Huh, didn’t know that. My 2019 750 SE+ has it. I was back and forth between getting a model with or without power steering. I ultimately decided to go with a PS model based on a lot of reviews I read about twitchy steering. Something about camber I think it was. Anyhow, I’ve had my 750 for little over a year now and I’ve never really given the PS any thought while out riding. My 300 obviously had no power steering, yet I found it easy to turn at any speed. If I had to compare my 300 vs my 750, I would say I find no huge noticeable difference in steering between the two. Then again I’ve barely used my 300 since I picked up my 750 in May of 2020.

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
'86 LT230S QuadSport, '19 KingQuad 500
18 Posts
My '21 750 has it and my '19 500 does not, so a pretty close comparison. In riding both over the same trails here in Colorado (rocks, ruts, etc.) I'd have to say that power steering is a bit overrated. I don't blast down rocky trails at high speeds, so maybe I'm not a typical rider, but I can't really tell much of a difference in steering, and at the end of the day on either machine I feel the same. In my case the real difference is in engine output (and at 12,000 feet elevation you feel it). What this means is that the 750 is easier to ride simply because it's more powerful, in steering around boulders and going over obstacles the engine power makes the difference, not the power steering. If that makes sense...

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
None of your 750’s have power steering John..? I was under the assumption that your 2021 model at least had it. Huh, didn’t know that. My 2019 750 SE+ has it. I was back and forth between getting a model with or without power steering. I ultimately decided to go with a PS model based on a lot of reviews I read about twitchy steering. Something about camber I think it was. Anyhow, I’ve had my 750 for little over a year now and I’ve never really given the PS any thought while out riding. My 300 obviously had no power steering, yet I found it easy to turn at any speed. If I had to compare my 300 vs my 750, I would say I find no huge noticeable difference in steering between the two. Then again I’ve barely used my 300 since I picked up my 750 in May of 2020.
I have never owned a PS ATV.

The real difference is in the caster angle between the PS and Non PS models.

No doubt that the model with PS is more stable when you hit an irregular surface at speed.

The “feel” is almost the same though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if the power steering and non power steering models are close to identical except for at high speed. I will save $1,000 and get the non power steering model unless they come out with a better can-am type adaptable system for 2022.

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
Well if the power steering and non power steering models are close to identical except for at high speed. I will save $1,000 and get the non power steering model unless they come out with a better can-am type adaptable system for 2022.
Sounds like a solid plan!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan!
I have had several King Quads (500s, 700s, & 750s) with and without power steering. They are fine without, but much nicer in all situations and terrain with it. Both of my current KQs has it, and I wouldn't consider buying one without it.

The Suzuki power steering has less assist than some other brands, I believe in an effort to make the quads still feel natural. I think they stated that they increased the output in the 2019 and newer models, but I didn't notice much difference when I switched between my 700 with power steering and my newer 2019 750 with power steering. It's been stated that although the newer models have increased assist, it's mitigated somewhat by different handlebar geometry.

I'm not familiar with Can Am's "adaptive" system but one could argue that Suzuki's system is adaptive. It uses a variety of information to provide more or less assist, the biggest factors being engine RPM and speed. For instance if you are in low range, diff lock and trying to go over a big obstacle, you will get more assist as the RPMs go up. It makes a noticeable difference. It won't be very noticeable on flat roads at decent speeds, as that is when it provides the least assist. However, if you hit a pot hole or other obstacle at a decent speed, it will dampen the impact and make it easier to hold the handlebars straight.

Also, while I recommend riding with both hands on the handlebars, power steering makes it possible to ride with only one hand in most conditions, say if you were using the other hand to hold something like a beverage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had several King Quads (500s, 700s, & 750s) with and without power steering. They are fine without, but much nicer in all situations and terrain with it. Both of my current KQs has it, and I wouldn't consider buying one without it.

The Suzuki power steering has less assist than some other brands, I believe in an effort to make the quads still feel natural. I think they stated that they increased the output in the 2019 and newer models, but I didn't notice much difference when I switched between my 700 with power steering and my newer 2019 750 with power steering. It's been stated that although the newer models have increased assist, it's mitigated somewhat by different handlebar geometry.

I'm not familiar with Can Am's "adaptive" system but one could argue that Suzuki's system is adaptive. It uses a variety of information to provide more or less assist, the biggest factors being engine RPM and speed. For instance if you are in low range, diff lock and trying to go over a big obstacle, you will get more assist as the RPMs go up. It makes a noticeable difference. It won't be very noticeable on flat roads at decent speeds, as that is when it provides the least assist. However, if you hit a pot hole or other obstacle at a decent speed, it will dampen the impact and make it easier to hold the handlebars straight.

Also, while I recommend riding with both hands on the handlebars, power steering makes it possible to ride with only one hand in most conditions, say if you were using the other hand to hold something like a beverage.

I am not a can-am expert but i think my friends outlander adaptive steering is controlled by riding mode. He told me it has different modes like work, utility, sport. I don't know if it's controlled by speed and engine RPM or not but it did work really well. I have never ridden a Suzuki with power steering so i don't know what to expect. And my dealer don't have much room to test ride and you cant get a good feel for how it's going to act offroad in ruts by doing a figure 8 in a parking lot.

·
Registered
25 Posts

My KQ750 has power steering and is the first ATV I've had with it. I agree with everything you said. My wife 500 sportsman is like driving a tank compared to my KQ. My 660 Grizzly wasn't bad but this KQ is very comfortable riding. I recently tore some muscles in my arm but with the power steering I wasn't sidelined for long. After having it I wouldn't be without it. I think many complain the steering can be twitchy at speed but I always think, This is a utility ATV and not really designed to be doing 60mph all day. It'll do it, but t
hey make models that will fit that bill. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ride ATV's on back country roads at top speed on my Vinson all the time. My Vinson tops out at 62mph and i will ride to the next town that's 8 miles away at top speed. If the KingQuad does 68mph i will more than likely be doing 6mph faster than i do now lol.

I never noticed my Vinson's steering being twitchy until i replaced tire rod ends and did a DIY alignment. It's a tad twitchy now and i should probably try to dial my steering in a bit tighter but the steering is manageable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Our 2 other 2018 Can-Am Outlanders have a manually selectable, 3 step power steering; low, mid & high that you set manually through the dash. Some people reported the power steering over heated while left on high too long; I'm not sure though. I left it on mid & find it more powerful than my Suzuki KQ 750 power steering. KQ sometimes surprises me about how much effort is required to steer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our 2 other 2018 Can-Am Outlanders have a manually selectable, 3 step power steering; low, mid & high that you set manually through the dash. Some people reported the power steering over heated while left on high too long; I'm not sure though. I left it on mid & find it more powerful than my Suzuki KQ 750 power steering. KQ sometimes surprises me about how much effort is required to steer.

Interesting i will have to ask my friend that owns one about that. I remember him saying that at low speeds the power steering works harder and at high speeds it don't work as hard to keep the steering from being twitchy. I don't know much about Can-am atv's though. I really like my friends but I'm just scared off from the long term reliability of anything that's not Japanese. So i just stay away from it from bad past experiences.

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
Automotive applications share the same type of technology. Years ago it was called variable ratio power steering.

Many of today’s automotive applications use electronic power steering.
I was recently involved in a dispute with an unscrupulous auto repair shop. They charged a woman I know for a power steering fluid exchange. It didn’t go well for the manager when I showed up and asked him to go over the process on her car. She had EPS.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Automotive applications share the same type of technology. Years ago it was called variable ratio power steering.

Many of today’s automotive applications use electronic power steering.
I was recently involved in a dispute with an unscrupulous auto repair shop. They charged a woman I know for a power steering fluid exchange. It didn’t go well for the manager when I showed up and asked him to go over the process on her car. She had EPS.
Never ceases to amaze me how some shops have the nerve to screw over people. And it seems worse when the person bringing their car in for service knows absolutely nothing about their car mechanically.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go power steering.. many more benefits from it then non ps. If ur young then u dont need it . But us old guys sure glad we have ps

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have several machines with and without PS and I will say that even on gentle trail riding, I feel less fatigued driving the KQ 500 with PS than I do with any of the others. Don't think I'd consider another 4 wheeler without it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well now I'm just as confused as before i asked. Seems to be split down the middle, guess i will just buy what i can find if it's a good price. I don't mind spending $1,000 extra if the power steering works well. I don't like the idea of having to replace it if it goes out though $$$. 2020 Suzuki LT-A750XPZS M0 Steering Shaft (Lt-A750xpzm0 P33) | CarolinaCycle

BODY ASSY, STEERING EPS 51700-34K00 $2,015.62 $1,499.62
I believe you can still run it if ps goes out just be manual steering

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe you can still run it if ps goes out just be manual steering
My worry is the difference in caster angle between the manual and power steering models if it does go out. I am guessing it is harder to steer with the caster angle difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts