Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Newbie here, I am rebuilding an LT80 for a friend, he said it had been standing for about 5 years but just needed a service and sort out.
Well first of all it was full up with water so needed a full rebuild as the bore and piston were badly scored the main bearings were seized and was generally in poor shape.
Having rebuilt it with new barrel, piston, rings, big and small ends I’ve gone to start it. It turns over slowly the red relay wire gets hot then it blows the circuit breaker?
What could this be? Starter motor?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tanz

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Hi all
Newbie here, I am rebuilding an LT80 for a friend, he said it had been standing for about 5 years but just needed a service and sort out.
Well first of all it was full up with water so needed a full rebuild as the bore and piston were badly scored the main bearings were seized and was generally in poor shape.
Having rebuilt it with new barrel, piston, rings, big and small ends I’ve gone to start it. It turns over slowly the red relay wire gets hot then it blows the circuit breaker?
What could this be? Starter motor?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tanz
Welcome to the forum.

Was this engine running when it ingested water, or was it off? Did it ever run with water in the engine? I am concerned about a hydro lock. You could be dealing with a bent rod. That would make the engine hard to turn over. If it isn’t a hydro lock situation, then you have to look at the possibility of excessive drain from the starter circuit and why.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I don’t know the answer to whether it was running?
It’s had a new Conrod in the rebuild along with the other parts listed so probably not that.
I took the plug out and turned it over so there was no compression but the circuit breaker still blew after a few seconds?

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Hi
I don’t know the answer to whether it was running?
It’s had a new Conrod in the rebuild along with the other parts listed so probably not that.
I took the plug out and turned it over so there was no compression but the circuit breaker still blew after a few seconds?
I didn‘t see the connecting Rod on your list. Glad that’s done and out of the equation.

How does the motor feel when turning over? Can you pull start it easily , or is there a lot of resistance ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t see the connecting Rod on your list.

How does the motor feel when turning over? Can you pull start it easily , or is there a lot of resistance ?

Sorry John1960 I should have made myself clear.
I’ve never seen this engine running, when I found it was full of water went straight for a full rebuild.
The Quad only has electric start but I can turn the engine over with a finger on the cooling fan with the spark plug out.
Also with the plug out it turns over as you would expect, fast! But only until the circuit breaker trips?

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
I’ve never seen this engine running, when I found it was full of water went straight for a full rebuild.
The Quad only has electric start but I can turn the engine over with a finger on the cooling fan with the spark plug out.
Also with the plug out it turns over as you would expect, fast! But only until the circuit breaker trips?
No problem. Thanks for the clarification.

I would begin by looking at that starter circuit in its entirety. Check everything. Starter, connections, grounds..... Not knowing the application, I can’t tell you Definitively where the weak points, or the easiest place to begin would be. Perhaps isolating the starter and determining if that is excessively drawing power may be a good place to begin ? I am not sure if the starter is an easy removal or not. I would definitely look towards checking grounds, feeling for warm spots in wires, perhaps also determining if the circuit breaker is faulty by switching it with another breaker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I agree with renewing circuit breaker, maybe relay as well? But I can’t help thinking the starter motor may be the issue.
Thank you for replying so quickly.
Thanks
Tanz

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Yes, I agree with renewing circuit breaker, maybe relay as well? But I can’t help thinking the starter motor may be the issue.
Thank you for replying so quickly.
Thanks
Tanz
Do the easy stuff first. Swap the relay and circuit breaker , check for connection issues, whatever is quick. Then move to the harder and more expensive options.

Keep us informed. I would also do a search here and a Google search to see if anyone else has encountered the same and published a specific, known fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts