Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 250 4x4 with a starting issue. The starter will crank with the spark plug out of the cylinder. When I put the plug back in, the starter can't turn it over until it gets past the compression cycle. Starter leads get awfully hot if I try to force it to crank. Bad starter? Issue with the starter hearing inside? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I eliminated those two items. The hot was loose on the starter, but I tightened that back up. Battery was at 100%. I put an after market starter in last year. Figured it would last more than one season, but it could be something else as well. It was rose hard, shut off and hasn't started since. I know I have issues with the one way clutch, so it's a bear to pull start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter? You can see if the starter is bad by going with one lead to big cable and other to ground case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 12.74 volts at the battery. When I use the meter on the starter I am reading around 5 volts when I push the start button. I had one probe on the hot of wire of the starter and the other on the starter mounting bolt. Hot terminal on starter motor began to smoke some if I held the starter button down continuously. Starter? I have not check the timing as stated above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are going to have to check the resistance with one lead on the bolt or nut at starter, and other to the starter case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reading around 5 ohms of resistance when probe on nut and one on shell. The meter is set at the 200 mark. I'm not sure what this is telling me? Hot lead still smokes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On a lawn mower engine that is a sure sign of out of adjustment valves, I think it is the same on a atv but I could be mistaken. Wouldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Sounds like something is seized up.

With the spark plug out you said it cranks over fine?
How about with the pull start? Is it still hard without the spark plug out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one way clutch is shot, so to use the pull start is a bear. I can spin it over with a wrench with the spark plug in. There was plenty of oil in it when I drained it, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility of something else being seized. However, it turns over fine without the plug in it, so I'm leaning towards it's not seized. Hopefully anyway. I still trouble shooting towards a starter issue, but the starter is only a year and a half old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I try starting using the pull start with the starter not installed? Just to eliminate a couple of guesses. Wouldn't need to run long, just to make sure it runs.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would thing the only problem would be oil coming out . I don't think much would come out if you ran it for a short time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts