Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm new to the forums and I'm really hoping that some of you experts can help me out. I've got an 84 LT125 that has been restored. The quad starts on the first pull and runs perfect if I give it so much as 2% throttle. But if I leave the throttle untouched it won't start or idle. It won't even try. Its like the gas is cut off instantly all together. At even a slight push of the throttle it runs at a low rpm pretty consistently.

The carburetor has been rebuilt and cleaned (and re-cleaned because of this issue). I cleaned the jets by soaking them in carb cleaner, running a wire through the holes and blowing everything out with compressed air. The metering needle at the top of the carb has been adjusted to all different positions but it has not helped. I put a new exhaust gasket in, all new hoses and vacuum lines. Can someone give me any pointers as to why the thing won't start or idle without slight throttle?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Check to see if the plug is wet or dry when it will not restart

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well your either getting too much fuel or no spark

If you have spark go to Fuel
Check the carb vent line to see if is clear if it has one
Recheck float height and that float needle is seating properly
Make sure the pilot screw is adjusted to specs
Make sure clip on needle is in correct slot

Others should chime in after you varify these settings

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I have spark. The quad runs fine with a little throttle.
The vent line is new. I checked it and its clear
I checked the float height. I've only got a ruler handy right now. The spec says it needs to be between 0.98 and 1.06. Using the ruler I'm definitely greater than 1.0" but less than 1.06". More like 1.03" I reduced it closer to 1.0" and it didn't seem to help
The pilot screw was adjusted to the right specs, turned out 1.75 turns
I'm not sure where the clip on the needle needs to be. I've tried top, middle and bottom with no luck. Right now I've got it sitting in the top slot.

Still no luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone out there have any ideas on this? I did replace the fuel pump with a cheap briggs pump. Is it possible that pump is making it run rich? The float is definitely within the specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same set up of carb, I'm having a problem with the carb or the fuel pump on the tank, when I prime the bowl full of gas it doesn't continue to fill after it's running, do you know what this could be?

(Removed Link, Forum Rules Violation).
See Forum Rules

·
Registered
14 Posts
The fuel pump can't make it run rich. Even the cheap Brigs and Stratton pump pumps way more than the quad needs, but the float cuts off fuel flow when the bowl is full, so it's not an issue.
Of course, even if it didn't cut off fuel flow correctly, that still won't make it run rich, the extra will just go out the overflow and become a fire hazzard. Well, unless the overflow is somehow plugged....

With your symptoms, I would say your new fuel pump is bad. Pull the pressure line off the pump and see if there is any fuel in it. Any at all and it's bad and will affect idle, which is exactly the issue I had. Just like yours it would start as long as I gave it a tiny bit of gas, I went through the carb multiple times, and it ran better, but wouldn't idle for more than a few seconds unless I gave a tiny bit of throttle, no matter how I adjusted the carb. Pulled the pressure line off the pump and it tiny bit of fuel came out. Replaced it with a $16 pump off Amazon, and now it runs like a champ and will idle forever....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts