Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 LT-Z250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son was running his LTZ-250 Quad Sport the other day and it stopped running. It has been a good running ATV with no issues except the starter. When I towed it back to the barn, I started checking the basics and found that it was REALLY low on oil. I had to put almost 2 quarts in it to get it in the middle of marks on the dipstick. I know this is bad because it takes 3 quarts for an oil change. No leaks anywhere and I've never seen it blow any smoke so I don't know what happened to the oil. I don't know when the last time the oil was checked. Please - I know, every time. My fault I didn't reinforce this enough with him. Could be an expensive lesson learned.

Hoping for the best, I tired starting it - no luck, still will not start. The starter turns over quickly but it just doesn't sound like it use to when starting before this issue. Fearing the worst, I stopped what I was doing and began my researching. What do you guys think? I have a bad, expensive feeling.....

·
Super Moderator
664 Posts
My son was running his LTZ-250 Quad Sport the other day and it stopped running. It has been a good running ATV with no issues except the starter. When I towed it back to the barn, I started checking the basics and found that it was REALLY low on oil. I had to put almost 2 quarts in it to get it in the middle of marks on the dipstick. I know this is bad because it takes 3 quarts for an oil change. No leaks anywhere and I've never seen it blow any smoke so I don't know what happened to the oil. I don't know when the last time the oil was checked. Please - I know, every time. My fault I didn't reinforce this enough with him. Could be an expensive lesson learned.

Hoping for the best, I tired starting it - no luck, still will not start. The starter turns over quickly but it just doesn't sound like it use to when starting before this issue. Fearing the worst, I stopped what I was doing and began my researching. What do you guys think? I have a bad, expensive feeling.....
Welcome to the forum.

When you say it doesn’t sound the same and it turns over quickly, you are not describing a seized engine. There are a few possibilities . Are you able to run a compression test? Does It have a pull start? If so, what happens when you try to pull start the motor?

·
Registered
2004 LT-Z250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

When you say it doesn’t sound the same and it turns over quickly, you are not describing a seized engine. There are a few possibilities . Are you able to run a compression test? Does It have a pull start? If so, what happens when you try to pull start the motor?
Thanks! Isn't that why half of us join - when something goes wrong?

I'm really hoping that it isn't seized but my gut says something bad has happened. I describe the starter spinning quickly and not sounding the same, almost like it's not connected or spinning too freely? Higher pitched. So I'm not 100% the motor is turning over which is why I stopped messing with it and I wasn't sure what the best way was to check for the motor turning without the possibility of making things worse.

1. I am not able to run a compression test, my tools are limited to the basics.
2. It does not have a pull start or kick start

·
Super Moderator
664 Posts
Thanks! Isn't that why half of us join - when something goes wrong?

I'm really hoping that it isn't seized but my gut says something bad has happened. I describe the starter spinning quickly and not sounding the same, almost like it's not connected or spinning too freely? Higher pitched. So I'm not 100% the motor is turning over which is why I stopped messing with it and I wasn't sure what the best way was to check for the motor turning without the possibility of making things worse.

1. I am not able to run a compression test, my tools are limited to the basics.
2. It does not have a pull start or kick start
You can confirm that the engine is turning over and that you have compression by simply removing the spark plug and observing for movement a few ways. Make sure the spark plug wire is not near your hand, or you will get a shock. Have someone assist you by cranking the engine. Get your hand near the opening of the cylinder where the spark plug was. You will feel (and possibly hear) the intake of the engine and the compression as the engine goes through its cycles.

Lef me know what you observe.

·
Registered
2004 LT-Z250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can confirm that the engine is turning over and that you have compression by simply removing the spark plug and observing for movement a few ways. Make sure the spark plug wire is not near your hand, or you will get a shock. Have someone assist you by cranking the engine. Get your hand near the opening of the cylinder where the spark plug was. You will feel (and possibly hear) the intake of the engine and the compression as the engine goes through its cycles.

Lef me know what you observe.
It turns over easily. The piston is clearly moving. The plug appeared fouled (dry) so I'm gonna grab a fresh one. I put a shot of starting fluid in before I reinstalled the plug hoping I'd get lucky. Nothing. I should've checked for spark while I had the plug out. I'm feeling better.

·
Super Moderator
664 Posts
It turns over easily. The piston is clearly moving. The plug appeared fouled (dry) so I'm gonna grab a fresh one. I put a shot of starting fluid in before I reinstalled the plug hoping I'd get lucky. Nothing. I should've checked for spark while I had the plug out. I'm feeling better.

Thats good news. Check for spark and post back with what you see.

Step by step, your headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
2004 LT-Z250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats good news. Check for spark and post back with what you see.

Step by step, your headed in the right direction.
Fresh plug. Checked for spark before installing and a nice blue spark could be seen. Tighten the plug and put the cap back on - no luck with it starting. Not even a hint of it catching. I tried setting the petcock to prime because I've had to do that before and it worked before, but not this time.

I'll check it out after dinner: a little fuel in the cylinder and put the plug back in, check the fuel filter and carb float

·
Registered
2004 LT-Z250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Piston rings are likely shot - at the minimum. I had a buddy look at it and he started with valves and they looked good. Then he dropped a little oil into the spark plug hole and he got it going for a short period. Likely low compression. I won't know if there is more damage to the piston and/or cylinder until it gets torn down. He doesn't have the time to do it and estimates a shop would get it done for $700-1,000 or more depending.

I pulled up a manual online. I'm thinking of trying to do this on my own. Someone talk me out of this.

Here is the kit I am considering:

I might be able to sell back my core cylinder.

·
Registered
2004 LT-Z250
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI: I'll break down the engine to confirm issues before ordering parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts