Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I apologize if this has been gone over. First off I have 1994 suzuki quadrunner 4wd. I have been riding it since it was new, although the last couple years it hasnt gotten much love. Recently I took it out changed the oil and sprayed a load of carb cleaner down it and brought it back to life. It runs just as a good as I remember in my youth when new!

I would like to put an oil cooler on it if possible. Iv been searching google and cannot find any walkthroughs or information. I was wondering if anyone has done it, maybe using the parts from a Kingquad 300? I searched parts diagrams and could not figure out were the oil lines to the kingquads cooler enter the engine. And if these ports are found on the quadrunner 250?

Any advice or info on this matter is appreciated! I have been searching google and surprisingly haven't found much.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
I don't recall anyone ever adding an oil cooler on a Quadrunner. If you could, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Or if it's even possible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Since the tranny and engine run in the same oil I imagine it has plenty of cooling surface for the oil. I mounted a fan on mine to blow air over the head and jug since that's where most of the heat is generated.
Mike

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the cases are the same where the 250 just doesn't have the ports drilled out for the oil cooler lines. They mount on the right back by the forward moutn of the rear swingarm.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I mounted an aftermarket fan on my 99 Kingquad. I think that would be much easier, cheaper and less chance of losing oil pressure in the middle of no where.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was thinking about adding an oil cooler to my 2000 QR250 4x4. I checked and found this thread. Thought i might add to it.

The oil cooler lines both hook up on the clutch side cover. The Qr250 and KQ300 both use the same side cover gasket. The only difference i see between my QR250 and KQ300 clutch cover is the oil cooler holes are not drilled or tapped on the QR250.
20191111_115132.jpg
20191111_115251.jpg

You could either buy a Kq300 clutch cover or carefully drill and tap the holes. The internal oil passages are drilled out on my cover. I checked suzuki parts house and the parts are available. But are not cheap. The cooler lines are $170 each and the oil cooler is $474. That's before shipping. You would still need a gasket and oil. Plus maybe the clutch cover if you buy one for a 300. No way i'll spend that much on this. The easiest way to go would be to find a P.O.S. 300 with good parts.

The oil pressure is so low on these quads i'm not worried about leaking. So i'm looking at using a small universal transmission cooler. The last one i bought new was like $20 at a local auto parts store. I will use rubber hose. I could cut out some steel flanges and weld steel hose barb fittings to them. Then bolt them on. Or i could drill and tap the oil hole. Then thread a fitting directly in. Next time i change the oil on my KQ300 i'll take the oil cooler lines and side cover off. Then measure how deep and how big the holes need drilled. And see if anything else needs done to make it work.

This will be kind of a back burner project for me. I'm not sure when i will get it done. But i do plan to add an oil cooler and fan.

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
165 Posts
Seems to me just adding a fan cooling the head will be 90%+ as good at cooling without the potential issues of adding an oil cooler.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Seems to me just adding a fan cooling the head will be 90%+ as good at cooling without the potential issues of adding an oil cooler.
I’d like to just add a fan to my 300 KQ to cool the head. Still wished they made the factory one though. But since they are discontinued and hard to come by I may just try and add a Spal fan with a toggle switch as others have done. Adding a oil cooler seems like a lot more work. Would be interesting to see it done though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ordered a arctic cat 300 clutch cover for $22 on ebay. Uses a Suzuki King quad 300 engine. So same part. They just cut the oil cooler lines off. So It's got the fittings already on it. I also ordered a new clutch cover gasket and new seals for the oil cooler lines.

I'm going to buy an oil cooler or small transmission cooler. Mount it and just run some good hose. With the low oil pressure these quads have I'm not worried about it.

I'll update with prices and pictures when its done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did this go anywhere? I have a scrap KQ and am thinking of swapping the case to mount a cooler on my QR250.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts