Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a ltz 400 and noticing the rear brake pads where down to the backing plate so I decided it was time to do all of the brakes. I changed the front pads and the front brakes and they would take a few pumps to build pressure for whatever reason. Then I decided to put a new meter cylinder on. Then the brakes would grab just a tiny bit when I pulled the lever all the way. So next I figured maybe the rotors where worn so I replaced those. ( I then also rebuilt the calipers ) bug still just barley anything from the brakes. It was almost not noticeable. So I don’t see any leaks and I don’t notice the brake level going down so what else should I try ( I tried clearing the breaks with no luck) so should I get a vacume bleader maybe?

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
So I recently bought a ltz 400 and noticing the rear brake pads where down to the backing plate so I decided it was time to do all of the brakes. I changed the front pads and the front brakes and they would take a few pumps to build pressure for whatever reason. Then I decided to put a new meter cylinder on. Then the brakes would grab just a tiny bit when I pulled the lever all the way. So next I figured maybe the rotors where worn so I replaced those. ( I then also rebuilt the calipers ) bug still just barley anything from the brakes. It was almost not noticeable. So I don’t see any leaks and I don’t notice the brake level going down so what else should I try ( I tried clearing the breaks with no luck) so should I get a vacume bleader maybe?
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would suggest doing is a gravity bleed of the front brakes. If you aren’t familiar with gravity bleeding, you can look it up online. Basically, you fill the brake system with fluid and open the bleeder valve and allow gravity to bleed the brakes.

The trick with gravity bleeding is never allow the fluid to run out while you are doing it. Always monitor the fluid level closely. The benefit is that you “wash out” the system and remove all the fluid, while removing all the air in the system.

Be patient while doing this. Leave the cap off the master cylinder, open both front bleeders to get the flow going at first. Sometimes you may have to remove a bleeder screw to get things flowing.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.