Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a King Quad 750 today. I don't plan on doing to much to it right now but just kinda thinking ahead for when i eventually upgrade tires. My Suzuki Vinson has factory aluminum wheels and i remember back in it's day people loved those wheels because they were so light weight it made them easier to turn. I was looking at aftermarket wheels at the dealer and they seemd to have very thick aluminium castings. They were mounted to a stand and had a tire mounted to them so i could not pick them up but i assume they weighed a lot for aluminum. I can find ATV tire weights listed online but nothing on aluminum wheels.

I thought i would check out the price factory aluminum wheels thinking they might be what i was looking for. But Suzuki only sells them with a tire mounted and i do not want more Carlisle 489's. I have had good luck with the GBC Grim Reaper tires i am running on my Vinson and will probably buy them again.

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
I bought a King Quad 750 today. I don't plan on doing to much to it right now but just kinda thinking ahead for when i eventually upgrade tires. My Suzuki Vinson has factory aluminum wheels and i remember back in it's day people loved those wheels because they were so light weight it made them easier to turn. I was looking at aftermarket wheels at the dealer and they seemd to have very thick aluminium castings. They were mounted to a stand and had a tire mounted to them so i could not pick them up but i assume they weighed a lot for aluminum. I can find ATV tire weights listed online but nothing on aluminum wheels.

I thought i would check out the price factory aluminum wheels thinking they might be what i was looking for. But Suzuki only sells them with a tire mounted and i do not want more Carlisle 489's. I have had good luck with the GBC Grim Reaper tires i am running on my Vinson and will probably buy them again.
I am all about speed and performance and have worked in and lived in the performance industry most of my life, so I can relate to your quest for lightweight wheels……….. However, I have to caution you. Unless you are riding on a trail that resembles a golf course, you are likely to encounter surface irregularities like rocks, roots, stumps and debris that can test the limits of rim design.

My son and I have been out riding and have seen the effects of “pretty”, and “lightweight” rims first hand. On one such ride I was flagged down by a group of people asking if I had a hammer they could borrow. A hammer, I asked? There on the side of the trail was a guy frantically pounding his aftermarket rim with a rock trying to alleviate the dent he just acquired from some other rocks. Needless to say, that didn’t end well for him.

Personally, I would look for someone selling factory OE wheels that are takeoffs. Trust me, the guy that was pounding on his rim with the rock is probably looking to buy his old rims back also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i mean something light yet strong like my factory Vinson wheels. I have beat my Vinson hard and never damaged a wheel.

I kinda like the look of the ITP Hurricane and it seems to have less aluminum than some others i have seen. The spokes are thick but it seem like there is less aluminum in them than some others i have seen like the Raceline Mamba.

Raceline wheels seem to be made of very thick aluminum when i was looking at them at the dealer. It would not surprise me if they weighed more than the factory steel wheels.

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
57 Posts
I put on new rims and tires earlier this year ... went with these Tusk rims (cheapest aluminum rims I could find). I had written down all the tire and wheel weights prior to mounting (both new and stock) but I can't find that sheet of paper anywhere. Rats ... Anyway, the rims were not that much heavier than the stock rims. I think they were only a couple lbs more than the stock rears and maybe 4 or 5 lbs a piece heavier than the fronts ... sorry guessing there, but they were not much heavier at all ... if I remember correctly. The newer tires were a bit heavier than stock ones.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Flag Alloy wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

So the stock rims are different sizes for front and rear, but I used the same aluminum sized rim all the way around. I really like the new rims. Tougher than Snot they are.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Thing with aluminum wheels is they make your ride look good and are lighter in weight then some steel wheels. However aluminum wheels are far less forgiving then steel wheels are. Meaning if you severely damaged one of them on a rock or something you stand a good chance of ending up like that guy that John pointed out and ruin your day. And I know exactly what John is referring to. On my 300 KQ two of my steel wheels have a dent on the outer lip of the wheel. One front wheel and one rear wheel. The dent on the front wheel is the worst of the bunch. I found a almost exact colour match spray paint and repainted the dented part of the rim and it still holds air.

Now on 750 I have the OEM aluminum wheels that come on the SE+ model KQ’s. Though the aluminum wheels make the bike look great, I fear that one day I’ll end up damaging one of the wheels which might leave me stranded. And another thing to keep in mind that will happen over time is that aluminum wheels become pitted over time. Even if your doing standard trail riding. I just washed my bike about 3 weeks ago and noticed my OEM aluminium wheels have a bunch of tiny pit marks all over them from just general trail riding. So that’s something else to keep in mind if you decide you still want to upgrade your wheels.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put on new rims and tires earlier this year ... went with these Tusk rims (cheapest aluminum rims I could find). I had written down all the tire and wheel weights prior to mounting (both new and stock) but I can't find that sheet of paper anywhere. Rats ... Anyway, the rims were not that much heavier than the stock rims. I think they were only a couple lbs more than the stock rears and maybe 4 or 5 lbs a piece heavier than the fronts ... sorry guessing there, but they were not much heavier at all ... if I remember correctly. The newer tires were a bit heavier than stock ones.

View attachment 21457

View attachment 21458

So the stock rims are different sizes for front and rear, but I used the same aluminum sized rim all the way around. I really like the new rims. Tougher than Snot they are.

Is that some kind if tire balancing machine?

About the wheels being different sizes, I noticed this today while looking at my new wheeler. Are they different widths, off sets or both? Are the front and rear axles hub to hub different widths? I would like to keep it "normal" i wonder if i should go with different offsets front and rear or if the offsets are oddball sizes only Suzuki uses?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Your bike has different sizes, (Widths). You can up the tire sizes if you want. Just make sure to go with a tire no wider then 9” on the front or you may encounter interference issues with the steering knuckle. But the wheel offset front to back should be the same as well as axles to hub.

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thing with aluminum wheels is they make your ride look good and are lighter in weight then some steel wheels. However aluminum wheels are far less forgiving then steel wheels are. Meaning if you severely damaged one of them on a rock or something you stand a good chance of ending up like that guy that John pointed out and ruin your day. And I know exactly what John is referring to. On my 300 KQ two of my steel wheels have a dent on the outer lip of the wheel. One front wheel and one rear wheel. The dent on the front wheel is the worst of the bunch. I found a almost exact colour match spray paint and repainted the dented part of the rim and it still holds air.

Now on 750 I have the OEM aluminum wheels that come on the SE+ model KQ’s. Though the aluminum wheels make the bike look great, I fear that one day I’ll end up damaging one of the wheels which might leave me stranded. And another thing to keep in mind that will happen over time is that aluminum wheels become pitted over time. Even if your doing standard trail riding. I just washed my bike about 3 weeks ago and noticed my OEM aluminium wheels have a bunch of tiny pit marks all over them from just general trail riding. So that’s something else to keep in mind if you decide you still want to upgrade your wheels.

My Vinson factory aluminum wheels are not all that attractive but they are VERY light, and strong! I have beat these wheels off everything i have never babied them. Once i was accelerating hard and hit a washout and caught the right front wheel and rolled it so hard it threw me several feet. I was sure something was going to be bent but after checking myself and rolling the quad back onto it's wheels it was fine. Someone needs to make Vinson wheels that fit the king quad i would buy them in a heartbeat.

400ex aluminum wheels bend easy though. 400ex wheels seem to be made out of cut formed and welded plate aluminum and Vinson wheels are either cast or forged, i am learning towards forged.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your bike has different sizes, (Widths). You can up the tire sizes if you want. Just make sure to go with a tire no wider then 9” on the front or you may encounter interference issues with the steering knuckle. But the wheel offset front to back should be the same as well as axles to hub.
I don't plan on going any wider than stock. I might go to 26's but more than likely i will stay with 25's. So if i buy something like the ITP Hurricane i should buy a 12x6 for the front and a 12x7 for the rear?

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
57 Posts
Is that some kind if tire balancing machine?

About the wheels being different sizes, I noticed this today while looking at my new wheeler. Are they different widths, off sets or both? Are the front and rear axles hub to hub different widths? I would like to keep it "normal" i wonder if i should go with different offsets front and rear or if the offsets are oddball sizes only Suzuki uses?
Yes, that is my static wheel balancer (manual balancer) I use for all my motorcycle tires. The bigger rims and tires for the quad worked great on it. I purchased an older used wheel hub on ebay to be able to mount to the rim so the cones from the balancer would fit the rim and, with the tires mounted, the backs (26x11 rear and 26x9 frnt) still fit on the machine and I was able to roughly balance them. Worked Great.

Yes, the stock steel rims were 12x6 on the front and 12x7.5 on the rear. Since none of the aftermarket company sizes were those sizes, I went with the 12x7's all the way around with the 5-2 offset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts