Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See alot guys with newer bikes having a 2 inch lift and bigger tires. What's it take to bump up a 2000 kq300? I see that these have an adjustable suspension.... Just for softer/ harder ride or would that lift it up a bit? As for tires...how much bigger can these take and what would a lift require? And would there be a point considering theres not exactly a ton of power pushing bigger tires?

·
Registered
93 Posts
They make a 2” lift for all the models that is a pretty basic and easy bracket lift that’s safe and still not messing with stuff enough to cause problems I feel. Any more then that and it’s big money and u have to replace other stuff also like axles. You can adjust the spring preload by cranking it up, clockwise and that will give u some height but make the ride stiffer. You’d be fine w some 28’s and if u have the 2” lift a smaller set of 30’s should work but that’s the biggest. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
165 Posts
Adjusting the shocks harder will raise your ride height, which will get you an inch, maybe two or extra running ground clearance. That's basically what many lift kits are anyway, just spacers on the springs. If going to setting 5 doesn't do enough, you can try adding some kind of spacer at the top of the spring, I wouldn't do more than an inch though.
For tires, I would say you can easily go an inch, giving 1/2" of lift, but too much and you will start eating the fenders. Of course having the shocks harder will help with that too.
As for power, worst case scenario "low" becomes your "high" and you still have super low for low range....

·
Registered
567 Posts
See alot guys with newer bikes having a 2 inch lift and bigger tires. What's it take to bump up a 2000 kq300? I see that these have an adjustable suspension.... Just for softer/ harder ride or would that lift it up a bit? As for tires...how much bigger can these take and what would a lift require? And would there be a point considering theres not exactly a ton of power pushing bigger tires?
Yeah, I tend not to look at what other guys are doing and focus on how I intend to use my machine, which is for all terrain and technical trail riding.
Maintaining reliability and not increasing maintenance intervals is top priority for me.

Any particular reason why your considering lifting it and adding bigger heavier tires?
Some common reasons would be things like deep mud, snow or rugged terrain where the extra ground clearance is helpful.
on a day-to-day basis though , the benefit you get could be negative and cosmetic only , depending on your intended use.
Tires are the single most effective bang for the buck upgrade one can make.
Maybe start with that... would going up 1 size, like Dacaur mentioned be enough for your needs?

·
Registered
222 Posts
These quads use a diagonal swing axle rear. Cranking up the rear coilovers raises it a little but makes the rear tires lean out at the top. Being stiffer and having the tires tilted like that won't help traction.

Taller and heavier tires will eat more power and stress parts more. From what I've seen from others 1in. taller front and rear doesn't really seem to hurt things. Having offset front and rear tires sizes. The larger you go the bigger the speed difference between front and rear tires will be. Probably a good way to break thing's.

Put good tires on and it will go almost anywhere. By far the best upgrade I've made was buying really aggressive tires.

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
165 Posts
I definitely agree with that. I would rather put my skid plates to use the 1-2% of the time my quad isn't tall enough than have to deal with a higher center of gravity the other 98-99% of the time the extra height isn't needed.
Good point about the rear suspension. I had to up the preload in my rear because my wife let me know my rear tires look like this /-\ with my daughter on board....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do spend quite a bit of time playing in the snow and tend to play around in areas that are not groomed. I've been hung up and stuck quite a few times so the extra clearance would be nice but wouldnt want to stress out any parts or heavily impact ride quality. I do have a winch so I've never been stuck to the point of not being able to get myself out so I'm agreeing that a nice agressive tire is the way to go. I can always adjust the suspension when I need to...if I need to. Thanks for everyones input ??

·
Registered
567 Posts
Right on brotha, if you can, the lighter the 6ply tire the better for your machine...less rotational mass, less power loss, less stress on drive train/suspension components!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Every part of your machine has folks that research hours upon hours for the best ride, most power, most fuel efficiency, and least wear and tear for your enjoyment. Modifications invariably cause worse ride, less fuel economy, more parts wear and breakdown, none of which are good for your budget. If your machine isn't what you want, maybe you are riding the wrong model. I bought what I wanted and am just enjoying what I have. You are spending your own money, so do what you want. Just one person's 2 cents worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts