Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have acquired a late model (1987-89) quadrunner which needed a top end rebuild. Can someone explain to me how the decompression lever gets reinstalled properly? Right now it just slides out if I pull it. What locks it in place?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not sure if it's exactly the same. On my 2000 i believe its just retained by a bolt through the top of the rocker cover. If i remember correctly the decomp lever has a groove in it the bolt passes along and it locks it in place.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive wheel system Helmet Rim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure if it's exactly the same. On my 2000 i believe its just retained by a bolt through the top of the rocker cover. If i remember correctly the decomp lever has a groove in it the bolt passes along and it locks it in place. View attachment 21830
On my 92 250 Quadrunner. Bloody decompression lever! Ive just wired it back on tightly around a couple of bolts for now (only viable suggestion/solution thats working presently) after putting a new spring and oil seal onto it. Not leaking and left in the open position. Can I ask which of the several bolts pictured in your photo it is? Is it the large one at the bottom or one of the other three smaller ones? Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry it's been a while. I've been busy and not on here.

My kingquad is sitting waiting for a top end rebuild. So I went out and pulled the decompression lever to show you.
Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Automotive tire Terrestrial plant Automotive exterior

In this photo you can see wich bolt it is. Also you can see the groove used to retain it in the side of the decompression lever's shaft.
Hand Automotive tire Finger Wood Tool

The shaft is round with a flat on one side. You will need to line it up inside the head cover.
Automotive tire Bicycle chain Terrestrial plant Bicycle part Rim

The spring will hook the bottom of the lever and sit on this small flat on the head cover.

To put the spring back on you can remove the lever from the shaft hook the spring and spin the lever back onto the shaft. Or leave it on and use a tool to pry the spring back into place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for the pics. Right now I've got it in but twist wired to a couple of bolts on the head held tightly in place. I've had the whole lever and lever bolt out numerous times.
The bolt doesn't seem to thread into anything at all, or, its stripped (which I doubt). I bought a new spring even though it appears the original is fine. I've seen the groove of course but not sure if its lining up with bolt. Have no idea how that decompression lever slipped out in the first place. Got some light JB Weld holding bolt head on and ATV starts fine with lever open. Could be something broken inside I suppose. If I give it another shot, what position should lever be in? Full open towards rear or font of head?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Tread
See current photo attached. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If it's installed correctly towards front is normal. Towards rear engages the decomp. I looked closer at mine and it's possible to put the lever on the shaft backwards. The flat on the shaft inside the rocker cover should be facing the rear.

The bolt retaining the decomp doesn't seem to thread into anything? I'd check to see if it's the correct bolt. Or if it's stripped.

Mine has a 10mm head and measures 66mm total length. I didn't check thread size. I think it's an m6x1.0?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the follow up 440Tim. Bolt is fine, no worn threads
Sleeve Automotive tire Font Material property Publication
Font Paper Paper product Art Plant
and definitely original.
Just not catching at bottom and obviously doing nothing to retain the decompression lever in place. I am fully aware of correct lever usage as I've owned my 250 LT-4WD since 2004. Judging by the blow up diagram, I'm wondering now if it could be the "D" shaped washer (no. 23) has somehow detached from the rocker arm shaft (no. 24) or is broken altogether. The dark, grainy pics in my old Clymers manual and Suzuki OEM Pdf. are terrible. Pretty much useless in most cases I think. 🤷🏼😅 See pics attached. Will try flipping the lever shaft around once again to see if it catches anything. Seems its missing that notched portion at the very least.
Thank you again and have a great weekend. 👍🏻

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts