Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike operates perfectly but only with the choke all the way up. As soon as I put it down to close it. Its stalls out. I'm new to carburetors so not 100% sure where to start...or what negative effects this could have on the machine itself.

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
131 Posts
Using choke increases the fuel I'm the air/fuel ratio. I'm assuming you have waited for the bike to warm up before turning the choke off....
On mine if I DON'T turn the choke off as it warms up, it will start to stumble and die.
If yours is warmed up and still needs the choke to run, it means you are lean for some reason, and the choke just gives it the extra fuel it needs to keep running. Could be a lot of stuff, from clogged idle jets to an air leak somewhere.
As for negative effects, if it's just clogged idle jets, it won't be an issue, but if it's an air leak you will run hot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My experience with this is that you will save time, stress, and money by going to see a capable technician that can rebuild your carburetor and make the other necessary adjustments. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
131 Posts
Its doubtful you would save money by paying someone else to do it, but certainly paying others to do stuff like this is normally less stressful. It may or may not save time. Rebuilding a carb doesn't take long. Likley getting it out and back in will take longer, then there is waiting for parts if you have to replace stuff, it takes time regardless... Then there is getting out the trailer and driving it someplace, then picking it up days or a week later.
If you have a desire to learn to learn to do your own work on these, this is a good place to start. You know it runs, so you will know immediately if you make it worse...🤣

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
The choke position should be as followed. All the way up is off. All the way down is full choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Bike operates perfectly but only with the choke all the way up. As soon as I put it down to close it. Its stalls out. I'm new to carburetors so not 100% sure where to start...or what negative effects this could have on the machine itself.
All the way UP on the KQ300 is OFF.......down is enriching ( choking)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol I feel dumb now hahahaha. It's all the way up and has started that way on the first push since I got it lmao. Well question answered 👍👍👍omg 🙄 lol

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Lol I feel dumb now hahahaha. It's all the way up and has started that way on the first push since I got it lmao. Well question answered omg lol
Happens to the best of us, lol. When I first read your post I was like hummm, this doesn’t sound right. You should only need the choke (Enrichner), if the temps get near 0 Celsius, ( 32 Fahrenheit). Otherwise it should start fine without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts