Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a 4x4 to lengthen my quad riding season. Will be riding Forest Service/logging roads. No off road, no mud, a little snow is the only time it will see 4x4. Do like to ride fast. I ride Raptors when it's dry and warm enough and then switch over to a Yxz for when it gets cold and wet. I am not brand loyal at all. Have been riding since the 70's and have owned all brands, just look for what works best. I live in So. Oregon and can get a better deal on the Suzuki than the Grizzly. I'm a mechanic so dealer support means 0 to me, I fix my own. Want the 4x4 to ride when it gets wet before the cold sets in. I ride almost every weekend year round and a lot by myself so dependability is number 1.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was originally wanting a Grizzly 700 and i ended up with a KingQuad 750 and i dont regret it. The KingQuad 750 seems to be the better longer lasting engine. So if you are going to keep it for a long time you should be better off with the KQ

Pros on the KingQuad
#1 Air filter seals out dirt (Grizzlies dont you need to buy a expensive billet aluminum kit to make it seal)
#2 The KingQuad 750 runs cool and has piston skirt oilers (Grizzlies run hot and they say they run lean so you should buy a programmer so they dont run lean)
#3 The KingQuad seems to be much faster thank the Grizzly stock (i think high range is geared higher)

Cons on KingQuad
#1 The CVT exhaust is under the rear rack and can get wet if you ride in deep creeks (Grizzly is up by the fuel tank)
#2 The KingQuad has almost no performance aftermarket support (Grizzly seems to have a decent amount)
#3 Grizzly has a little more wheel travel than the King Quad

My personal opinion after researching them is that the Grizzly is more sporty (although slower). And the KingQuad is the better quality machine if you just buy it and ride it as it is without modifying it. I do trail riding with stock sized tires and i want to keep my center of gravity low so i bought the KQ. I am disappointed that no one makes performance cams for it and there are only a few pipes. But i am happy with it overall and i really like the fact that it never burns my leg on long trail rides the the Yamahas do.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
I’ve had no experiences with many other brands. I have tried a few of the smaller Polaris’. Though my buddy has a Can-Am Outlander Max XT-P 1000 and I’ve ridden it a few times. Nice bike, true two-up atv, longer wheel base and feels solid. The V-twin power is nice and his power steering is very responsive. Can turn the handlebars with one finger standing still.

Though his Can-Am is comfy to ride and has plenty of power. I’m a die hard Suzuki fan. When I bought my 2019 750 SE+, I did so mainly because my first Suzuki was a rock. I’ve had her now for 23 years and she’s still going strong. Never touched the engine, only replaced the obvious wear and tear items. So that’s the reason I bought another Suzuki. The 750’s got decent top end speed. Mine tops out at 106 kph, (66 mph). Which is plenty fast enough for me. Though this number seems to vary slightly between people. Some reporting to top out at 68 mph, some 64 mph.

If you decide to buy a 750, you won’t be disappointed. Suzukis are known for their reliability/dependability. Take good care of her and she’ll treat you right for many, many, years. My first Suzuki which is a 300 King Quad has 14,600+ kilometres, (9072 miles on her and she’s still going strong. A true testament to Suzukis reputation of build quality, and dependability. Those things are more important to me than having the fastest or biggest atv out there.

But like KangKwad stated, there is not a hell of a lot in terms of aftermarket parts available for the Suzukis. But in my honest opinion, why fiddle around with a already well rounded atv.

Reactions: DavidNDC

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Looking to get a 4x4 to lengthen my quad riding season. Will be riding Forest Service/logging roads. No off road, no mud, a little snow is the only time it will see 4x4. Do like to ride fast. I ride Raptors when it's dry and warm enough and then switch over to a Yxz for when it gets cold and wet. I am not brand loyal at all. Have been riding since the 70's and have owned all brands, just look for what works best. I live in So. Oregon and can get a better deal on the Suzuki than the Grizzly. I'm a mechanic so dealer support means 0 to me, I fix my own. Want the 4x4 to ride when it gets wet before the cold sets in. I ride almost every weekend year round and a lot by myself so dependability is number 1.
Welcome to the forum. The first two replies you got were spot on. I agree and can add that I have owned two King Quad 750’s. Loved both. I wanted to extend my season also, so I sold all my quads and bought a side by side. That gave me a roof, windshield and heat if I want it. I wish my Can Am side by side had the build quality of my Suzukis. Don’t get me wrong, the Can Am is a great machine. It just isn’t a Suzuki.

If I were you , I would buy the King Quad. Don’t take our word for it, there are plenty of tests online that you can find on YouTube.

Asking in a forum that is brand specific is sort of like walking into an Italian restaurant and asking which is better, a garlic knot, or an egg roll…..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 07 King quad 450 and I have a buddy that has a 07 Grizzly 660. At top speed he is only faster by 1mph and I think that it is only because I am about 70 lbs heavier than him. But on the trails at Browns Camp it is all he can do to keep up. He has told be a few times he wishes he had gotten the Suzuki instead because the ride is just so much better. I will be looking to get a new 750 soon just so I can go faster and wont look at anything else. Just my $.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a 750 king quad or a 500 I have a new 500 it’s plenty but I will get 750 next time just to have a little more horsepower I am same as u like ride fast some and a diesel mechanic I like my king quad it’s no power house but run well

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Hi , i have a 06 suzuki kq 700 bought it last yr and have remanufactured 95 % of this quad , the engine and trans all internal bearings and clutch , new display is at 1 mile ,all front brakes an disks new , all new axles and boots , is for sale at 9000$ , have over 10000 invested , that was over buget, new seat all but the body is new , for sale , leo 8058271969

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Hi , i have a 06 suzuki kq 700 bought it last yr and have remanufactured 95 % of this quad , the engine and trans all internal bearings and clutch , new display is at 1 mile ,all front brakes an disks new , all new axles and boots , is for sale at 9000$ , have over 10000 invested , that was over buget, new seat all but the body is new , for sale , leo 8058271969
located near ventura ca , thanx

·
Registered
261 Posts
I actually went to buy a Yamaha, until I saw the Suzuki next to it. I'd forgot they made quads. Side by side, Yamaha should be embarrassed. KQ 750 has full stainless steel exhaust; Yamaha Grizzly has a standard painted exhaust held on with hose clamps. Look at the hardware, switch gear; everything really is better with the Suzuki. The only thing would be Suzuki plastics seem really thin and brittle, but mine are holding up well.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
I actually went to buy a Yamaha, until I saw the Suzuki next to it. I'd forgot they made quads. Side by side, Yamaha should be embarrassed. KQ 750 has full stainless steel exhaust; Yamaha Grizzly has a standard painted exhaust held on with hose clamps. Look at the hardware, switch gear; everything really is better with the Suzuki. The only thing would be Suzuki plastics seem really thin and brittle, but mine are holding up well.
View attachment 22399
Sharp looking King. Looks vaguely familiar to mine, lol. My plastics seem to be holding up pretty well also. Just have the odd light scratches here and there. Beyond that, love my 750. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. Love those Bear Claws too. Can’t wait to get a set next spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m going through this decision right now actually. I’ve studied both down to petty details 😆. From everything I've read from dimensions to reviews and experience my conclusion is this. They both have a reliable and durable motor and transmission, the rest comes down to personal preferences with what you value more in an atv. Some of my conclusions are this.
The KingQuad:
-in my area is about $550 cheaper than the grizzly, has 6 months longer warranty, has a longer seat which can be nice, 36cc more motor for the top end whatever that is worth to you, the fit of the plastics seems like it was a priority and the storage compartments seal nicely (the fitment of plastics on the grizzly and rear compartment seemed like an after thought, I could almost fit my pinky through several gaps that didn't seem like they should've been there), has a slightly longer wheel base. To me those are the pros of the KQ over the Grizzly.

The Grizzly:
-has a more robust rack with slightly more weight capacity, comes with 26" tires and aluminum wheels, supposedly from all the reviews I've read the power steering is nicer, the suspension is a nicer ride and has more travel by about .9" front and 1.4" in rear, the transmission has park instead of just a parking brake which I really like so I feel its a pro.
Some people like the rear sealed brake on the KQ over disc brakes and some say disc has better stopping power. They both eventually will need maintenance, either oil changed or pads changed, so I feel thats a wash pick your poison.

The other day I had $500 down on a grizzly then when I saw how poorly the plastics were put together and how the rear cargo box was pointless due to the huge gap in the door it made me think if these simple things are messed up what else is messed up.
The dealer wouldn't wiggle at all on price either, I was a little let down as I was excited for it. I would like to see another grizzly from a different dealer to see if at least it was put together better. I know the plastics and compartments don't affect the performance but when you're paying that much money you want to feel good about it and the initial impression.
Anyway...I'm still undecided.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
I’m going through this decision right now actually. I’ve studied both down to petty details 😆. From everything I've read from dimensions to reviews and experience my conclusion is this. They both have a reliable and durable motor and transmission, the rest comes down to personal preferences with what you value more in an atv. Some of my conclusions are this.
The KingQuad:
-in my area is about $550 cheaper than the grizzly, has 6 months longer warranty, has a longer seat which can be nice, 36cc more motor for the top end whatever that is worth to you, the fit of the plastics seems like it was a priority and the storage compartments seal nicely (the fitment of plastics on the grizzly and rear compartment seemed like an after thought, I could almost fit my pinky through several gaps that didn't seem like they should've been there), has a slightly longer wheel base. To me those are the pros of the KQ over the Grizzly.

The Grizzly:
-has a more robust rack with slightly more weight capacity, comes with 26" tires and aluminum wheels, supposedly from all the reviews I've read the power steering is nicer, the suspension is a nicer ride and has more travel by about .9" front and 1.4" in rear, the transmission has park instead of just a parking brake which I really like so I feel its a pro.
Some people like the rear sealed brake on the KQ over disc brakes and some say disc has better stopping power. They both eventually will need maintenance, either oil changed or pads changed, so I feel thats a wash pick your poison.

The other day I had $500 down on a grizzly then when I saw how poorly the plastics were put together and how the rear cargo box was pointless due to the huge gap in the door it made me think if these simple things are messed up what else is messed up.
The dealer wouldn't wiggle at all on price either, I was a little let down as I was excited for it. I would like to see another grizzly from a different dealer to see if at least it was put together better. I know the plastics and compartments don't affect the performance but when you're paying that much money you want to feel good about it and the initial impression.
Anyway...I'm still undecided.
I’m not sure if they ever got past the exhaust heat problem on the Grizzly. You should look into that. I don’t know where you ride, but judging from your IP address, you might not enjoy a lot of extra heat coming off your machine. The King Quads don’t have that problem.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
I actually love the rear brake set up on the 500/750 KQ. It’s a sealed wet brake set up which per Suzuki requires little to no maintenance of the rear braking system except for changing the wet brake oil periodically. Which I’m my mind is still cheaper than having to replace rotors/pads over a certain period of time.

Also as John stated, having your leg cook while out riding isn’t fun. I also don’t find the suspension bad at all on the KQ. It’s a 5 way preload adjustable suspension which can be tweaked to your desired riding style. Want a stiffer ride, crank up the suspension. Want a softer ride drop it down a few notches.

The cargo carriers “Racks” seem to be fairly decent. Though you can tell the differences in quality between the cargo carriers on my 300 KQ apposed to the ones on my 750 KQ. Though as the saying goes, they don’t build them like they use to. Though the KQ cargo carriers are far better in terms of build quality than some other makes of atvs that I’ve seen. Mainly Polaris, which I’ve never liked.

The consensus that I’ve heard over the years from many is that Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda make the best atvs out there in terms of build quality/reliability. In the end it basically all comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I’m not sure if they ever got past the exhaust heat problem on the Grizzly. You should look into that. I don’t know where you ride, but judging from your IP address, you might not enjoy a lot of extra heat coming off your machine. The King Quads don’t have that problem.

I did a lot of reading about the Grizzly heat problems. From Yamaha forums people complain a lot about how hot they are. And they say that they are tuned to run to lean and will lead to premature engine wear. And you really need to put a tuner on it to richen the fuel mixture as the first mod just to get them to run cooler. This is the main reason i abandoned the idea of buying a new Grizzly.

My KingQuad runs cool i never notice it get hot. And if you look at the engine modifications that came out in 2019 Suzuki also enlarged the oil passages and added a piston skirt oiler like the 2JZ. This keeps the piston skirt better lubricated to reduce friction and heat. To me the KingQuad is the clear winner when it comes to the engine.

The CVT seems like it could be a little better since the rollers are dry and not greased. Grease attracts dirt and gets gummed up so the Suzuki CVT will be easier on maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
I actually love the rear brake set up on the 500/750 KQ. It’s a sealed wet brake set up which per Suzuki requires little to no maintenance of the rear braking system except for changing the wet brake oil periodically. Which I’m my mind is still cheaper than having to replace rotors/pads over a certain period of time.

Also as John stated, having your leg cook while out riding isn’t fun. I also don’t find the suspension bad at all on the KQ. It’s a 5 way preload adjustable suspension which can be tweaked to your desired riding style. Want a stiffer ride, crank up the suspension. Want a softer ride drop it down a few notches.

The cargo carriers “Racks” seem to be fairly decent. Though you can tell the differences in quality between the cargo carriers on my 300 KQ apposed to the ones on my 750 KQ. Though as the saying goes, they don’t build them like they use to. Though the KQ cargo carriers are far better in terms of build quality than some other makes of atvs that I’ve seen. Mainly Polaris, which I’ve never liked.

The consensus that I’ve heard over the years from many is that Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda make the best atvs out there in terms of build quality/reliability. In the end it basically all comes down to personal preference.
Agreed. 100%

The rear brake set up is genius. Low maintenance , reliable, performs very well and even the low maintenance part (changing the wet brake fluid) is super easy.

I have said it before, I will say it again….. my only problem with Suzuki is they don’t make A side by side. I grew accustomed to the quality and reliability of Suzuki machines. When I decided to buy a side by side I was lost without them.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
I did a lot of reading about the Grizzly heat problems. From Yamaha forums people complain a lot about how hot they are. And they say that they are tuned to run to lean and will lead to premature engine wear. And you really need to put a tuner on it to richen the fuel mixture as the first mod just to get them to run cooler. This is the main reason i abandoned the idea of buying a new Grizzly.

My KingQuad runs cool i never notice it get hot. And if you look at the engine modifications that came out in 2019 Suzuki also enlarged the oil passages and added a piston skirt oiler like the 2JZ. This keeps the piston skirt better lubricated to reduce friction and heat. To me the KingQuad is the clear winner when it comes to the engine.

The CVT seems like it could be a little better since the rollers are dry and not greased. Grease attracts dirt and gets gummed up so the Suzuki CVT will be easier on maintenance.

Very true. None of my Suzuki‘s ever got too hot. Even on some of the crazy long runs I have done on them. To put 175-190 miles on in one day, you don’t have a lot of down time. We ran our King Quad 750’s long and hard. We never felt objectionable heat from them. Occasionally, my Vinson would warm my leg up a bit, but never burning hot. I would just feel the presence of some warmth.

Now my Can Am Maverick X3 is a different beast. It gets soooooo hot inside that I remove the windshield in May and it will stay off until late September. It goes back on once I hit the trailer. You can’t trailer with the windshield off, or it will blow the rear Windshield out. The rear windshield is a pain to take off and put back on. The front is literally a 90 second remove/install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I take fairly long rides on my 2022 KQ 750 (that has just over, 2,400 issue free miles on it), almost everyday in NW Arizona on desert trails and washes, where temps reach 95-100F almost everyday in the summer. I have yet to feel any notisable heat on my legs and I ride with shorts on, no jeans or boots, just T-shoes! Compare that to my 2005 Kaw BF650, that will cook your lower legs unless I wear my tall cowboy boots. Words I would use to describe my KQ...Refined, Quiet, Smooth, Cool Running, Very Comfortable Riding Position, Great Handling, Amazing Quality & Fun To Drive!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts