Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys .

Ok i got a brand new kingquad.. Working really well . the only thing that worry me is that i hear some piston slap at certain rpms.

Would like to know if this is normal on the 750 . I think it also reduce a bit when hot. And im still on the break in oil . (not the best oil ) .

thanks

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
According to the salesman who sold me my 2019 750, the oil that you currently have in your bike is not break in oil. It’s just regular motorcycle oil. I believe it’s called Ecstar. He told me the days of using break in oil have since been long gone. Then again he told me just to ride it till the maintenance light comes on, m even after I broke it in. I didn’t like the sound of that so I called another Suzuki dealer and they told me 600 km. So had it changed at 600 Km. Your best bet is to call the dealer you bought it from and ask them what type of oil is in it when you bought it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They told me breaking oil. And the first one according to the book is 20hr or 200km (100 miles) . So im gonna listen to the book for this ;)

But yours doest it sound a bit like piston slap like the video (even if we dont ear it a lot. ) when you go 20-30 cold ? low rpms .

·
Registered
349 Posts
They told me breaking oil. And the first one according to the book is 20hr or 200km (100 miles) . So im gonna listen to the book for this ;)
I can't really tell from the video but I'm listing on crappy speakers, could it be valve noise your hearing? I recall some saying valves were a bit off from the factory on some years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think so . Valve would do this at all rpm . When hot the noise is almost not there anymore.. ill ask dealer .. And wait if somebody here know it. Maybe your do it too lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike salesmen, in my experience, have surprisingly limited knowledge about the product they sell. My owners manual on my 2019 KQ 750 said to change the oil at 300 miles I believe. I figured the man who designed the bike and wrote the manual knows more about it than a salesperson.
Yeah i think sometimes they answer for another brand ! But suzuki are conservatives on oil change .. The car they where asking 5000km . where other where at 8 ot 10k ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys .

Ok i got a brand new kingquad.. Working really well . the only thing that worry me is that i hear some piston slap at certain rpms.

Would like to know if this is normal on the 750 . I think it also reduce a bit when hot. And im still on the break in oil . (not the best oil ) .

thanks

My 2022 KQ750 engine ha been making that piston slapping sound from day one when there is a load on the engine. I now have over 2,400 miles on my KQ and it remains issue free!
Great Quad! That sound you hear is not from "break in oil" it's just the way they all sound! Do I like hearing my engine piston slap like that...NO, but I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
440 Posts
I've also been problem free (knocking on wood) with my 2020 750 and I think I know what sound you guys are talking about. I never really heard "piston slap" before so I dont really know what the heck it sounds like, but there does seem to be a real low end knocking sound ... down low, when first putting a load on her, that has been with my machine since day 1 as well. I have just been chalking it up to "specific motor engine noise". As NABSA1 says, just the way they all sound. I've got a Guzzi that sounds like the valves are gonna spring out of the machine at any time and a Kawi that has wicked cam chain rattle on start up.... both are fully adjusted correctly. Just characteristics of the individual motors I guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
Aluminum motors in general are much louder. Cast iron does a great job of dampening sounds. It also weighs a ton and in the case of what we are driving here, raises the C of G.

My 2006 Vinson made me think it was going to fly apart. I bought it with 246 miles on it and it sounded loud when I bought it. I had a friend of a friend at a Suzuki dealership look at it. He said it was fine. I drove it for nearly 4K miles. It never skipped a beat, always was loud and was the same when I sold it years later.

·
Registered
2022 Kingquad 750
8 Posts
I have just bought a new 2022 750. It has had that same piston slap from the first ride. It's worse before the piston gets a chance to warm up and fully expand. I came on to this forum looking to see if this slap was normal...now I feel better. I still don't like that big old piston slapping about like there's a monkey wildly swinging a hammer inside the engine!

Once it warms up it does settle down to an acceptable level, I suppose.

I'm glad to have found this forum...thank you guys and gals for your information!

Gramps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts