Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am about to order a Kingquad 400 or 500. I am wondering about handling in particular cornering. The 400 has a solid rear axle the 500 has IRS.
What difference does this make to handling? I shall be using the ATV on the road with some off-road track. I live in Spain where public road use is allowed. ATV's are regarding as agriculture vehicles with a speed limit of 40kph, which is not enforced strongly.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
There really isn't much difference in handling on roads and trails. I'm curious if the solid rear axel design is a single axel. If so, that would mean there is no differential. Turning on hard surfaces would force one tire to slip.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi I am about to order a Kingquad 400 or 500. I am wondering about handling in particular cornering. The 400 has a solid rear axle the 500 has IRS.
What difference does this make to handling? I shall be using the ATV on the road with some off-road track. I live in Spain where public road use is allowed. ATV's are regarding as agriculture vehicles with a speed limit of 40kph, which is not enforced strongly.
I would take the 500 for a little extra punch:big-grin

As for the suspension , it all depends on your needs. Sounds like you will mainly use it for flat surfaces (roads) and in that case could stick with SRA. it’s simpler design, less moving parts , lower maintenance (supposedly) lower center roll, consistent ground clearance particularly when bearing a load like for say property work...etc..
I think the biggest advantage of an IRS suspension is comfort ,flexibility and traction on rough terrain. If you have back problems for instance, It will be easier on the the old joints/bones. It works better for trail riding, rock crawling, mud running, and rutted, rough trails for most folks that do that sort of stuff frequently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would go for the IRS one. They ride better, and have more ground clearance. The 500 is also bigger all around. It's the same frame as the 750.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts