Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was looking for an option to cool my Kingquad 300. I bought the machine used and didn't know that it should have an optional fan installed with the mounted winch.

It has always run hot but never to the point of the light coming on. It flickered a couple times but that was it. The front seal was leaking and upon reading some forums I found out that without a fan, the oil can reach almost boiling temperatures and destroy the rubber seals. Changing the front seal is a bit of a chore and I would like to avoid doing that again.

I looked at some fan ideas and most seem to be installed to blow air over the cooling fins on the motor. I thought it would be a better idea to install a fan between my winch and rad and blow air through the oil cooler. Isn't that the purpose of the oil cooler?

I found an IP67 rated fan (dust and waterproof) from Coolerguys (120x120x38) that fits perfectly. I read a review from a guy who installed this fan on his motorcycle and he claimed it works perfect for the same application.

I removed the grill that is right in front of the oil cooler and mounted the fan to it using galvanized strapping. I bent the strapping over the grill, enlarged the holes on one side of the strapping to align with the fan mount holes, and clamped it in place. When the bolts were tightened the strapping clamps over the grill securely for a solid mount.

The pictures show the logo facing out which is incorrect. The fan blows in the opposite direction and I had to reverse the fan. The pictures illustrate how to mount the fan.
I installed a stainless steel screen over the open / front of the fan to protect it from rocks.

The fan only draws 750mA of current so I wired it directly through a switch to the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like that oil cooler fan would help. I would consider adding a second one on the back side of the head, maybe using a heavy duty, synthetic engine oil as well. Rejeting the carb might help cool things down. I've started riding old 3 wheelers last year, and I just take it easy on these kind of bikes and have never had an issue; even when I ride in July in Texas!
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tex. I will put the fan to the test over next week. Will be quadding through bush trails towing a loaded trailer to set up an Elk hunting camp. Day time temps will be in mid teens (Celsius), but the machine will be working pulling that trailer up hills and through wet terrain. Will update the fan performance after the trip.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My Quadrunner was running hot and I thought about putting a fan kit on it. However, I also discovered it was running lean. Once I richened it up, it didn't run so hot. Still thinking about a fan kit or maybe oil-cooler mod.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engineers at Suzuki added the oil cooler to address the overheating issue by the larger piston in the bored out 250 jug. Their first choice for cooling wasn't a fan blowing air on the motor. The addition of a winch restricts the airflow to the oil cooler. It makes sense to me to add a fan between the winch and the oil cooler to compensate. The fan more than compensates. The oil cooler now gets air flow while the machine is sitting still.
The best part? This IP67 dust and waterproof fan designed to run continuous for 67000 hours is less than 20 bucks American right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back from trip and can confirm that my fan mod works. Was put to the test towing a heavy trailer and even a Polaris Ranger out of a hole. Exceeded my expectations. Only thing to watch for is dandelion fluff in my screen. Easy to clean away.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I checked out the fan you got. I found them on Amazon. Cooler guy's also sells a 7in./172mm x 152mm x 51mm fan. With the same ip67 dust and waterproof rating. $39.96 U.S.

12v dc .38amp 201cfm 39db

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Camera accessory Rim Automotive wheel system
Font Circle Rim Bicycle part Dvd

I like your idea. But i think the factory fan blowing on the engine may be more effective.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got mine from Amazon. Direct from coolerguys.com the same fan is $17.95. I don't know and can't say for sure that my idea is better than a fan blowing on the motor. I can say that with the fan blowing through the rad I noticed my engine was significantly cooler while working hard. Towing a trailer weighing at least 500 lbs loaded up steep hills and through a couple mud holes that a Polaris Ranger and a Yamaha Rhino (both unburdened by a trailer) got stuck in. I was able to touch the oil cooler after and it wasn't hot enough to burn me. I worked the machine HARD and I know for a fact that my fan mod works. I can leave my machine idling all day if I wanted to. I ran the fan the whole time. Why not? It draws little current and has no effect on my headlights while running. It works, is easy to install, and it is cheap. I can guarantee that anyone who tries this will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks 440. That fan would work even better! I just measured and it would fit between the winch mount and oil cooler grill. If and when my fan fails I will upgrade to the larger fan. For now, my installation works great as is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts