Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a problem with my 98 suzuking king quad after about 2 minutes the entire exhaust pipe and 1/3rd of the muffler starts glowing cherry red enough to melt the intake box. What would be the cause of this? Is the exhaust clogged? Running lean? I was going to take off the exhaust but didnt see a seperation point from the muffler and pipe? Does the whole pipe and muffler have to come out? The quad has been down on power for a little while now and is breaking up in the upper rpm range

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 500 quadmaster that is doing the same thing ,i removed the muffler and ran it with a straight pipe had the same thing happen,.I also have a problem with it not idling with out the choke on,is yours doing the same

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, everybody STOP! You have issues, all of you but mabey not the same. These are older bikes, many years of riding, but carb or fuel may be your issue. When was your last OVERHAUL? Look guys, if you've never pulled the carb, timed the bike, compession test, etc., well there may be issues.. Never rule out bad gas, I don't care were you bought it. Valves are a big issue here, start with routine maintinance and go more indepth from there.. blocked or clogged jets in the carb...if it runs, well, that's a plus. Break it down to the basics, fuel, air, and spark....go through all those circuits firsts and work you way down...Let me know....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure there are no restrictions in the exhaust system. Have the Carburetor re-built, jets may be plugged ? Running lean will cause your problem. Check the Fuel Filter wile your at it. And check the timing. Any of the above could fix it. Don't run it long the way it is, you can cause major damage. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts