Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2018 KQ 500. What kind of diff/transmission oil should I use and how often do I need to change it?

I only use it for hunting, so not much mileage.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
There is no transmission oil. Just engine oil, front differential oil, and wet brake oil. For the engine oil, use a “motorcycle oil” that is JASO-MA approved on the back of the bottle with a viscosity of 10w40. I’ve always used Suzuki fluids. Though that’s just my personal preference. You can use other brands of oils as long as they meet those requirements.

As for the front diff, I believe it uses a 80/90 hypoid gear oil. Though I’m not 100% certain on that one. So hopefully someone will chime and confirm this.

As for the wet brake oil, I bought the Suzuki wet brake oil. Though I believe the owners manual actually calls for Mobil 424 as a equivalent. I also believe others have used hydraulic tractor oil from a tractor supply store. Which is basically what Mobil 424 is.

Product info from Mobil:
“Mobilfluid 424 is an extra high performance multipurpose tractor lubricant engineered to meet or exceed transmission and hydraulic fluid requirements.”

Reactions: yfki1983

·
Super Moderator
2020 KingQuad 750
357 Posts
Yes, an 80/90 or 90 GL5 gear oil is perfect. I always use synthetic, but whatever you want should be fine. Volume for front differential is 17 oz's and the torque on the frnt diff drain plug (if you're interested) is 24 ft/lbs.

Not sure on your miles thing, but I always do all the fluids together when changing engine oil. Good habit to get into. Maintenance chart says every 2 years on front gear oil and every year on rear diff changes.

You're going to have to drop the skid plate for the front diff change.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, an 80/90 or 90 GL5 gear oil is perfect. I always use synthetic, but whatever you want should be fine. Volume for front differential is 17 oz's and the torque on the frnt diff drain plug (if you're interested) is 24 ft/lbs.

Not sure on your miles thing, but I always do all the fluids together when changing engine oil. Good habit to get into. Maintenance chart says every 2 years on front gear oil and every year on rear diff changes.

You're going to have to drop the skid plate for the front diff change.
I'm at 300 miles. Not sure if the guy that does my oil ever changed it so I wanted to make sure I got it done.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts