Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now owned several King Quad 700s and 750s, and have come up with what are my preferred accessories/upgrades.

First up, I think the pull starter is a crucial. Ya, it won't start it when the battery is 100% dead, but it will start it when the battery is weak and doesn't have enough juice to turn over on its own. When the battery starts to age, or you left an accessory on, or used the winch a lot, there still might be enough life in it to get you home. I have used the "starter assist" technique several time. This is where you hold the stater down while using the pull starter. Simple upgrade, just order a pull starter assembly and basket from 2008 or earlier model.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up is grip and thumb warmers. I used some by Moose on my last King Quad that never failed(although I did have to replace the switch), and I had that quad for a decade. This time up I'm trying a different brand. These are by Apollo, and are really slick, with the switch being built into the grip and having a low battery cut off. So far the only downside is that the grips and thumb are controlled as one and not independently. First time I've tried these, so I can't speak to reliability yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every 4x4 needs a winch. I ordered the winch off Amazon, as I wanted the 2500-S. I think the synthetic rope is a huge upgrade over the old school cable. However, I bought the winch mounting kit from my local Suzuki dealer. The Suzuki branded winch mount kit by Warn includes a plate for mounting the solenoid in addition to the winch mount itself. This plate mounts back near the battery, and Suzuki was kind enough to provide a rigging tunnel for the winch wiring, to run the wires back to the battery and solenoid. The solenoid pic is from my previous King Quad, but it mounts in the same location on the new one. Additionally, there are accessory wires under the instrument cluster/center headlight, which makes things easy. I splurged and bought the fancy hook.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock headlights suck. On my last KQ I ran HIDs. They were awesome. No high and low beam though, and they take 20 sec or so to reach full brightness. They lit up the night, and blinded anyone in the general direction they were pointed in. The bulbs lasted 7 years on one side and 10 years on the other before needed to be replaced. I think the brand was Eagle Eye. This time around, I thought I would try LEDs. I bought and three different sets, including the most expensive, highest output ones available. I ended up keeping the middle priced ones and returning the rest as the beam pattern was best with these. I have not yet done much night riding, so the jury is still out but they are definitely way better than stock. Once I have some more night riding time on them, I'll make the call on whether or not to go back to HIDs. The LEDs have high and low beams. I bought two more of the boots that the center headlight uses, so the housings are still waterproof. The LED bulbs unscrew from the plate, so you can mount the plate to the headlight housing, slide the boot on, and then retread the bulb.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found with my previous KQ's that putting grip tape on the racks made it so I could get an extra year out of them before needing to sandblast and repaint them. I used this stuff I got off Amazon. I throw chain saws and some other stuff that is pretty rough on the racks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found that a front rack bag (and no one makes a good one any longer) is indispensable. I keep all my tie downs, chain saw oil and gas, and beer in it. I can fit two 18 packs in the center compartment. I also, find gun racks to be indispensable. most of the time I carry axes and mauls in them. This time around I went with a product I haven't seen in action before. Slightly more bulky than my previous ones, these ones are ratcheting and seem to be very well built. Time will tell. These are made by Koplin.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Minor addition, shock covers. I also spray wax everything underneath when the bike is new. Seems to keep crap from sticking and makes it easier to clean..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple King Quads back, I put full under armor on it. I used the Suzuki branded aluminum stuff. It added about 100lbs. On the East coast where I was riding on all rutted out trails, it was necessary. On my last couple KQ's on the West cost, I found the extra armor to be unnecessary. Yes, I did rub the paint of the underside of what is exposed on the A-Arms, and I have a few dents, but really the stock plastic stuff down the middle, does a fair job. I don't really think the full up armor is an advantage with where I ride now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Next up is grip and thumb warmers. I used some by Moose on my last King Quad that never failed(although I did have to replace the switch), and I had that quad for a decade. This time up I'm trying a different brand. These are by Apollo, and are really slick, with the switch being built into the grip and having a low battery cut off. So far the only downside is that the grips and thumb are controlled as one and not independently. First time I've tried these, so I can't speak to reliability yet. View attachment 19683 View attachment 19684
On this I couldn't agree with you more. They offered to put them on when I bought my bike, I said "nah, I'll pet em on later, probably find a better deal then there offering". WRONG on both accounts. My thumb reminds me of this silly oversight all the times on those cold winter days. Nice looking bike man.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice additions. You probably have tires on your list after you wear the stockers down some or they fail. The biggest bang for the buck upgrade imo are tires, it’s night and diff over those stock Carlisle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice additions. You probably have tires on your list after you wear the stockers down some or they fail. The biggest bang for the buck upgrade imo are tires, it’s night and diff over those stock Carlisle.
Tires will be next, after I get the stockers worn down. I haven't decided on which ones to go with yet. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Tires will be next, after I get the stockers worn down. I haven't decided on which ones to go with yet. Any recommendations?
Thats a tough one, you’ll get a lot of recommendations but a lot depends on your use. best advice I think is to stay as light as possible whatever you choose.
For me, I’m an all round trail rider, I don’t look to sink my machine in mud or water , but need to be able to handle some when its part of the trail. Plus I did not want to deminish the KQs inherent low center of gravity ( for a bike this size) nor its quick, nimble and very comfortable ride.Also not looking to increase maintenance intervals with big heavy tires.. etc. My priority is keeping it reliable , I wanna ride not wrench outside of regular maintenance.

So, I ended up going with Kenda Bearclaw HTRs (radials) after the stockers failed me on trail at 1600kms. Put 1000kms on them so far and love them so far. They are not the lightest 26” tire but they are 8ply? you lose a little of the King’s hole shot but well worth the trade off for me and easily remedied (we’ll talk about that later ?).

Here are specs of the tires I was considering to give some idea, hope it helps!

STOCK: Carlisle AT489 0.5 in tread depth , 3ply
Front: 25x8x12 Weight: 14.3lbs. Price: $159.99
Rear 25x10x12 Weight: 18.9lbs. Price : $153.99
Total price for 4 = $627.96 + tx
Total weight 67lbs

ITP Terracross R/T, XD thread depth .718” F .843” R 6plyy
Front 26-9R-12 Weight: 24.4lbs Price: $154.99
Rear 26-11R-12 Weight: 30.3lbs Price: $169.99
Total Price: $649.96
Total weight 109lbs
42lbs heavier than stock

Kenda Bear Claw HTR .875” thread depth , 8 ply
Front 26x9x12 Weight: 23.5lbs Price: $155.99 each
Rear 26x11x12 Weight: 31.0lbs Price: $173.99 each
Total Price: $659.66 + tx
Total weight 109 lbs
42lbs heavier than stock

Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 Radial .781” thread depth, 6 ply
Front 26x9x12 Weight: 21.2lbs. Price: $162.99
Rear 26x11x12 Weight: 25.7lbs. Price: $172.99
Total Price: $671.96 + tx
Total weight: 93.8lbs
27lbs heavier than stock

ITP Mudlite XTR Radial Tread Depth 1.13”, 6 Ply
Front 26-9R-12 Weight: 26.8lbs. Price: $172.99
Rear 26-11R-12 Weight: 32.3lbs. Price: $189.99
Total Price: $729.96 + tx
Total weight: 118lbs
57lbs heavier than stock

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
165 Posts
I replaced my tires a couple months ago and ended up going with gbc dirt devil's. Bear claws were a close second. I really like the dirt devil's. They are exceptionally smooth on roads and hard packed dirt, and have great traction in snow and soupy mud (though I don't go in those ridiculous mudholes you see on YouTube, if it's deeper than the center of my tire I'll go around) They are perfect for the Rocky trails I ride.

It's going to be a while but I plan on going with bear claws next time, not because of any problems with the dirt devil's, but just because I want to be able to compare them to see which I like better. ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought two more of the boots that the center headlight uses, so the housings are still waterproof. The LED bulbs unscrew from the plate, so you can mount the plate to the headlight housing, slide the boot on, and then retread the bulb.

I agree the stock bulbs suck. I also used the the Eagle eyes on my last quad. Been wanting to upgrade my 2019 Kingquad 750 to LED.
I can't find the Auxito LEDs from the info on the picture, can you attach or send me a link to where you got them?

Can you expand more on your comment "I bought two more of the boots that the center headlight uses, so the housings are still waterproof. The LED bulbs unscrew from the plate, so you can mount the plate to the headlight housing, slide the boot on, and then retread the bulb."

Not sure what you were doing with 2 more boots.

Did you replace 3 Bulbs? Is the center the same as the lower 2 lights?
"unscrew from the plate, so you can mount the plate" again please expand.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 King Quad 700. 25" Bighorn originals. Highlifter springs. Twin air. Coop 3+. Dalton clutch kit
51 Posts
Dang your bike looks good Zuuk. Those tires definitely complete the package. I noticed on your signature you have not altered your gearing. On my 06 I went with 2mm of shim on clutch. Big difference with 26" tires. Years ago Glenlivet machined my clutch doing the Coop 3+1. With 25" Bighorns my bottom end is incredible almost never in low range. It is by far the best upgrade I have done next to the tires and I have done a few. I also run a Dalton clutch kit which helps for low end engagement. But the new kings have upgraded clutching which would be where I'm at now. As much as I love the Kings, Yamaha still rules for clutching and gearing

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dang your bike looks good Zuuk. Those tires definitely complete the package. I noticed on your signature you have not altered your gearing. On my 06 I went with 2mm of shim on clutch. Big difference with 26" tires. Years ago Glenlivet machined my clutch doing the Coop 3+1. With 25" Bighorns my bottom end is incredible almost never in low range. It is by far the best upgrade I have done next to the tires and I have done a few. I also run a Dalton clutch kit which helps for low end engagement. But the new kings have upgraded clutching which would be where I'm at now. As much as I love the Kings, Yamaha still rules for clutching and gearing
Thanks Big7. You got me! No, I did not update my signature with that detail yet ? Hahaha..
I wanted to share a post soon outlining some of the things I’ve done over the winter storage months, this upgrade being one of those things ?
Glenlivet did machine my primary moveable clutch face a few months ago. Matter a fact it was one of the 1st 19s he‘s done apparently. With the full 2.65mm taper he‘s done I can‘t even put a .5 mm shim on it ! the belt sites at the recommended max 5mm over the secondary at rest, better than anticipated (hence can‘t shim yet) and I think this is due to the 2019 upgraded clutching.
Yeah, love it buddy, agree best performance bang for the buck upgrade to the KQ. I always loved how my King from stock had excellent throttle control and can’t believe the improvement in low speed tractability and control, and improved launch and still maintain original top speed!
I also love that reliability and belt wear is not sacrificed and virtually unaffected.
King and Yammi clutch are very similar (none belt slammer types) and the King is geared taller for sure but I think the 19 KQ clutch changes are significant, closing the gap between them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought two more of the boots that the center headlight uses, so the housings are still waterproof. The LED bulbs unscrew from the plate, so you can mount the plate to the headlight housing, slide the boot on, and then retread the bulb.

I agree the stock bulbs suck. I also used the the Eagle eyes on my last quad. Been wanting to upgrade my 2019 Kingquad 750 to LED.
I can't find the Auxito LEDs from the info on the picture, can you attach or send me a link to where you got them?

Can you expand more on your comment "I bought two more of the boots that the center headlight uses, so the housings are still waterproof. The LED bulbs unscrew from the plate, so you can mount the plate to the headlight housing, slide the boot on, and then retread the bulb."

Not sure what you were doing with 2 more boots.

Did you replace 3 Bulbs? Is the center the same as the lower 2 lights?
"unscrew from the plate, so you can mount the plate" again please expand.

Thanks
The center headlight uses a different inner boot(pictured) that works with the aftermarket LED bulbs. I only changed out the two main bulbs and not the center, as I usually have a rack bag on the bike. Most of the aftermarket LED bulbs can be unthreaded from the plate that clips into the headlight shell. So you install the plate, then put the boot on the light bulb housing, then rethread it. I bought the bulbs off Amazon. I tried several brands, and some of them were really bad. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Big7. You got me! No, I did not update my signature with that detail yet ? Hahaha..
I wanted to share a post soon outlining some of the things I’ve done over the winter storage months, this upgrade being one of those things ?
Glenlivet did machine my primary moveable clutch face a few months ago. Matter a fact it was one of the 1st 19s he‘s done apparently. With the full 2.65mm taper he‘s done I can‘t even put a .5 mm shim on it ! the belt sites at the recommended max 5mm over the secondary at rest, better than anticipated (hence can‘t shim yet) and I think this is due to the 2019 upgraded clutching.
Yeah, love it buddy, agree best performance bang for the buck upgrade to the KQ. I always loved how my King from stock had excellent throttle control and can’t believe the improvement in low speed tractability and control, and improved launch and still maintain original top speed!
I also love that reliability and belt wear is not sacrificed and virtually unaffected.
King and Yammi clutch are very similar (none belt slammer types) and the King is geared taller for sure but I think the 19 KQ clutch changes are significant, closing the gap between them.
Hey Zuuk, just like too pick your brain about Glenlivets mods. I was planning to install either the Bearclaws or the Bighorn 3.0 in 26". The bighorn 3.0 total weight is almost exactly the same as the Bearclaw HTRs. Since my bike is only a 500, the dealership assures me it'll turn em no problem, I would like to keep pretty close or maybe a wee bit more low end, I pull a trailer once in awhile through the woods. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts