Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an older model, 2009 I think- been exceptionally reliable other than the annoyance of the current draw from the ECM which leaves the battery drained after a couple weeks.

We've had wet weather around here - 4" in two days, and I was rolling over to the property next door - the beast died, like turning the key off. I just had the mule drop a cylinder which turned out to be the rear coil so I was thinking ignition for this vehicle.

After dragging the KQ back to the shop and charging the battery I tore the front fender/hood off for access- turns out I had water in the spark plug hole. I had run through some water and it got past the plug cap seal - guess I need a new one of those.

So while the fender is off, I'm going to try to see where the open is in the wiring harness just behind the fan; sometimes the fan won't come on when it should and I have 180+ on the temp gauge. If I reach in and move the harness at a certain spot, the fan comes on.

I'm also going to add a switch at the battery to deal with the current draw.

Been exceptionally happy with the KQ- it's a beast, will run much faster than safety permits for some people. It's got all I want and more in that department.

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
Mysterious current draws when your bike is off is totally frustrating and also hard to pinpoint the exact cause of the specific draw in question. Putting a switch at the battery is one solution. The other is to buy a small charger/maintainer, also known as a battery tender. Often these chargers/maintainers have quick connects, making it easy to plug and play. I actually have 3 of them. One for my lawn tractor, one for my 300 KQ, and one for my 750 KQ. I utilize these chargers if any of my machines sit for anymore then a week at a time. Of course I’ve got no current draws like you when my atvs are shut off. So using this method is totally optional as it might increase your hydro bill. And welcome to the Forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts