Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1992 King Quad 300 4x4 overheat light comes on after an hour or so. Turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes light goes away continue riding for about 30 mins and light returns.

im in Dover Delaware the temp here isnt that bad. i have changed the oil and filter, problem persists. the oil cooler isnt clogged internally or externaly and the oil didnt appear to be mixed with water or fuel when i changed it. so the question is what can i do to stop it from overheating?

i read about aftermarket cooling fans that have been discontinued and about relocateing the cooler on top of the front rack but other than those what can be done? im thinking a larger oil cooler would work though im not sure if it would fit in the stock location. i really do not want the cooler on top of the front rack as it would be sure to get damaged. plus these are all band aids to whatever is causing the overheat.

the last time i took it out the light came on and it started losing power. i didnt have time to sit in the woods for it to cool off so i drove it into a small stream. it steamed like a mother f$%%er but it cooled it off enough to make it back to the truck. next time i might not be able to find a stream.

any thoughts? thanks.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Is the rad clean, no dirt/debris lodged within the cooling fins..?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it not completely clean but pretty clean. compressed air on one side can be felt on the other side no problem so air is traveling through the fins.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Cooling a very hot engine in cold water is not generally a good idea. Metal expands and shrinks with temperature. When you cool it quickly you not only weaken the metal but you can actually crack your block.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was that or sit there for a couple hours. Plus my thought process was I go though streams and creeks throughout the day and the engine steams cause its hot and it hasnt cracked. So i was hopeing it would be fine even though it was very hot this time. Luckily it hasnt cracked. YET.

Any thoughts on why its overheating? Or how to cool it down?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what i thought too but its not clogged well not completely anyway. what would be the flow rate and how would you test it?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
I believe there's a spot on the oil filter cover that allows you to put a oil pressure tester. This would be the only way to judge if your getting enough oil pressure throughout the entire system. But i believe the test also calls for a tachometer tester as well as you need to rev the engine to a certain RPM to get a accurate reading.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Here's a list of possible problems you could have with the oil system:

Low Oil Pressure

* Clogged oil filter
* Oil leak from the oil passage
* Damaged o-ring
* Defective oil pump
* Combination of the above items

High Oil Pressure

* Engine oil viscosity is too high
* Clogged oil passage
* combination of the above items

·
Registered
6 Posts
seem to have same problem with my 2011 quad 500 thermostat maybe? don't seem to flow right,i ride 30 minutes then it sputter and stop.wait a while turn key off restart go but re heat,,,,,did not have the problem the first year....could it be electronic

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sit it in the garage or on flat pavement and roll it back and forth. Is anything dragging? Brakes? It should roll really pretty easy. Have you got a bumper on the front of it? Does it block air flow at all? How fast do you generally ride and how hard?

·
Registered
18 Posts
1992 King Quad 300 4x4 overheat light comes on after an hour or so. Turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes light goes away continue riding for about 30 mins and light returns.

im in Dover Delaware the temp here isnt that bad. i have changed the oil and filter, problem persists. the oil cooler isnt clogged internally or externaly and the oil didnt appear to be mixed with water or fuel when i changed it. so the question is what can i do to stop it from overheating?

i read about aftermarket cooling fans that have been discontinued and about relocateing the cooler on top of the front rack but other than those what can be done? im thinking a larger oil cooler would work though im not sure if it would fit in the stock location. i really do not want the cooler on top of the front rack as it would be sure to get damaged. plus these are all band aids to whatever is causing the overheat.

the last time i took it out the light came on and it started losing power. i didnt have time to sit in the woods for it to cool off so i drove it into a small stream. it steamed like a mother f$%%er but it cooled it off enough to make it back to the truck. next time i might not be able to find a stream.

any thoughts? thanks.
There’s a screen filter underneath the oil pump that maybe clogged with debris. Apparently this oil drain isn’t mentioned in owners manual, only in service manual. I owned 2 king quads and didn’t know about this screen. Had always changed oil by draining from filter port. Round metal plate with 3 bolts in front of right rear tire. Have to take off skid plate for access.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If the oil cooler and engines cooling fins are clean then I would check the fuel system. Clean your carb and change your fuel filter. If it's running lean it will run hotter. Also make sure it's not low on oil. Its air / oil cooled.

The only time my light has come on is when I've clogged the front with mud and debris. Then continue to run hard. Or if I rev in lower gears going slow pulling loads to long. Either way it takes a long time to overheat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts