Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not fo much searching so sorry for that guys....biught a 91 quadrunner 250 that has been sitting for what looks like years.....cleaned bone dry fuel tank of all debris, blew out all gas lines and vents, cleaned carb... pulled plug...brand new but was gapped closed, opened it up a bit.....got new batt.....cranks fine, pull starts fine, will not fire.....gas is coming good to carb.....spark plug also sparking good when i had it out......would not start....pulled pulg again and it was smashed shut!!! Gotta be wrong plug hitting off valves maybe? Scared at this point.....plug i pulled was an autolite 4163....looked up ngk plug that is supposed to be in it i guess but that is literally 2 threads shorter.....any suggestions at all? I used to have one of these quads and remembered them to be almost indestructible....thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You need to get the correct plug in there. If you are closing the gap completely , the plug is being contacted by the piston. That's not good.

The plug won't produce a spark if the center and side electrodes are touching. Put the correct plug in it and hopefully you should be good to go. A local parts store may have it, or you can order it online and have it in a few days.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that, yes I definitely know plug hitting anything is NOT good!! Hope we can get her going with different plug ....i will be back either way...please keep responding with any thoughts or insite guys...later

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
The correct plug for your year/model Quadrunner is NGK D7EA, (Gap - .028).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So got the correct plug. Shes sparking, fuel is shooting out hose when cranking, put hose back on carb and crank crank crank....nothing....plug is dry....gotta be carb yes? For no fuel to get in there....im praying I didn't damage a valve with the plug that was in there...

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
If you have fuel at the carb and no fuel getting into the cylinder, I would check the needle seat and float level. It could be gummed up, stuck closed, or have a piece of dirt hanging it up,

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
At least you seem to have one issue solved with the correct spark plug. And before overthinking things, start with a good thorough carb cleaning and rebuild kit and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So defined getting fuel now, had so many signs of life while cranking including what I thought was gonna be the one and then she started getting hard to turn over with some bad almost rubbing sounds, i quit with the electri start because it did not sound right, went to see if it would pull freely and I cannot pull engine over...pulled plug still could bot get it to budge with pull start......something seized..

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
So defined getting fuel now, had so many signs of life while cranking including what I thought was gonna be the one and then she started getting hard to turn over with some bad almost rubbing sounds, i quit with the electri start because it did not sound right, went to see if it would pull freely and I cannot pull engine over...pulled plug still could bot get it to budge with pull start......something seized..
Have you verified that it didn‘t go into gear while you were cracking it ? If you push it, does it feel like it is in neutral, or is there resistance ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll double check when I get home but it had been crqnking for 30_40sec b4 it started sounding not right, really would put $on it is still out of gear

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
I'll double check when I get home but it had been crqnking for 30_40sec b4 it started sounding not right, really would put $on it is still out of gear
Me too, but for your sake, I would love to hear that you hit the shifter and it’s in gear. That’s an easier fix given the alternatives.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes im thinking of the worst , and I have never dissected on of these engines...it does not look fun if its bottom end related...ill keep you guys posted...thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts