Should i Rebuild it?

• Yes

• No

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this 93 king quad 300 and thought it was in okay condition, certianly salvagable. The i got it home and after looking at it closer i realize it is in much worse condition. ALL the bushings are gone, even the shifting lever bushing. The front diff has ton of play in it and almost certainly needs rebuilt. All the rear CV boots are gone and 2 on the front. The brake on the back are seized, and all the brakes need serviced. The electrics were fixed by a 5 year old or so it seems. The air box is not there and there was no oil in the engine when i got it, then you have the video of the engine. Finally got it started and tons of smoke and it just got harder and harder to start, the video is the last time we started it and had the thickest smoke. The Video

There are many things im leaving out but what i want to know is what your opinion is, Rebuild it OR Park it in a blackberry bush for parts.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
Personally, with all the things you listed that are wrong with it a total rebuild isn’t a bad idea. Actually, it’s probably a good idea. The smoking, finished bushings, play in the front diff, and torn cv boots. That be enough for me to warrant a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about cost I already paid to much for this quad, and if the cost is going to be high I would rather wait and try and buy a much better king quad than put a ton of money into this one. in my area a really good condition king quad sells for about 3000 and the quad I have now was 1100. so would it still be better to rebuild this one Wich also needs quite a bit of welding done on the front. Or just try and get a better one. Follow up question how do you get the motor out of the frame for these quads?

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
You asked if you should rebuild your King, I just replied with a honest answer. I was originally going to say it also depends on how much your willing to spend. From the huge list of issues this bike has, the cost to fully repair/restore it is probably not worth it from a condition standpoint. You’d probably spend just that much on parts. So if you can find a better condition KQ then that would probably be your best bet.

I bought a new 2019 Suzuki 750 KQ SE+ (Bronze) in early May of 2020. Since then, I haven’t used my 300 KQ much. Then again it’s at my buddy’s cause I currently have no room to store it. I contemplated selling it, but I can’t bring myself to part ways with it. It’s also the very first atv that I bought. Plus she’s been reliable as hell in the 22 years that I’ve owned her. My buddy told me if I ever wanted to sell it to let him know. Told me for the condition that it’s in I could easily get $3000 - $4000 for it where he lives. The other thing that has made prices of atvs sore is COVID-19. The price for used atvs has gone up almost everywhere. So in the end it all depends if you want to spend the money on a complete rebuild and give yourself a nice big project. Or wait and buy something that’s in a little better shape that doesn’t require a ton of work to get trail ready.

Anyhow, here’s a pic of my 300 KQ. Figured I’d share a pic of my old beaut. I have other pictures but this is the only one I have on my phone. Right now I’m sitting around 14,800 kilometres and still going strong. Hoping to ride it a little more this summer once I sell my boat and free up some space and bring it back home.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Combat vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: db_tanker

·
Super Moderator
968 Posts
I recently bought this 93 king quad 300 and thought it was in okay condition, certianly salvagable. The i got it home and after looking at it closer i realize it is in much worse condition. ALL the bushings are gone, even the shifting lever bushing. The front diff has ton of play in it and almost certainly needs rebuilt. All the rear CV boots are gone and 2 on the front. The brake on the back are seized, and all the brakes need serviced. The electrics were fixed by a 5 year old or so it seems. The air box is not there and there was no oil in the engine when i got it, then you have the video of the engine. Finally got it started and tons of smoke and it just got harder and harder to start, the video is the last time we started it and had the thickest smoke. The Video

There are many things im leaving out but what i want to know is what your opinion is, Rebuild it OR Park it in a blackberry bush for parts.

I think your question was a little unclear. I believe AJL was responding to the question a different way. He was probably responding to should I rebuild it, or just drive it as is. I took the question as should I rebuild it or give up on it.

I think you have to consider replacement cost, what you have into it, and what you will need to put into it to make it usable. As AJL indicated, prices have soared . That goes for anything ATV related, trailers, used units, new units, parts….. it’s all tied into the pandemic and availability. Availability drives the market. New units are not as readily available, so that drives the price of used units up. I recently sold my 2020 King quad 750 with over 1000 miles on it, for more than I paid for it new. I also sold my 2009 after putting 3000 miles on it for more than I paid for it used, years earlier. The trailer I Purchased to haul my new machine, cost me about $1000 more than I would’ve paid pre-pandemic.

The only way you’re going to make money in this game is to sell now and buy back when the world gets back to normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How mechanically enclined are you when it comes to fixing suzuki atvs ? Your talking a lot of time but you would probably have a nice machine when you're done.
What is your time worth ? Sometimes it's better to cut your losses. But you do have a lot of value in parts if you have the room to store it. For me, I'm pretty familiar with them. Have a 92, 93, 2000 king quads n one out back. And sizing up your picture I'm thinking a new used bike may work out better. But your driving the bike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So thank you al for your answers, and i do apologize if my original question was a little unclear. Yes my original question was fix it or give up and no the quad is not in ride able condition. I have a lot to consider and am glad for your input as i have no experience with suzuki ATV's. As for if i did fix it well that comes down to time. I could do most of the work myself, except i would send the motor to my dad. But i really don't have the time to put in right now however getting rid of the quad is out of the question. 1. i can't make my money back on it, 2. there are many parts on it that could be useful, 3. mabey someday i can have the time to bring it back to life. For me these older king quads are not just a ATV, my grandfather had one when i was a kid and after i got older he sold it. I have always wanted one since but they hardely ever go up for sale in western oregon. But yes i have definantly been considering just trying to buy a much better condition one.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
I have always wondered about the 98 to 01 king quads, do they have a higher center of gravity. To me they look bigger and heavier but i have only ever seen pictures.
I believe all models were close the same in terms of ground clearance. The specs for my model year list the ground clearance at 210 mm (8.3 in). And per spec my model 300 weighs 606 lbs dry. That’s no fluids, gear, winch, etc. I can easily pick up the front and rear of my 300 and swing it around. Can’t say the same for my 750. Then again I’m not a very big guy at 155 lbs. Anyhow, the older King Quads and Quadrunner were literally built like tanks. Very dependable and very well built. It’s the reason why I bought another Suzuki.

Reactions: Olstitch

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah they are tough. I personally prefer the looks of the older king quads but i will admit that those transition king quads do look neat.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
After switching gears for 22-23 years, there were times I wish I had a automatic. And I always wanted a bigger atv someday. Mainly cause I always rode with my wife and riding comfortably two people on the older Suzuki’s wasn’t very comfortable. Even if I would have been single, I probably still would of gotten a new Suzuki. But now that I have this new 750, there are times I miss shifting my own gears. So once I sell my boat and bring my 300 back home, maybe I won’t feel so bad about keeping two bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So just wanted to update the thread, the decison for the quad is im gonna make it run and thats it. While i would like a really nice 300 this one would take to much $$$ to make it into what i want ss im gonna do the bare minimum and use it as is. This of course all depends on how much oil the motor eats, if its not that bad im just gonna claim is extra lubrication and use it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just rebuilt the carb on mine thinking I would offer it up for sale. But now it runs better than new and has 600 miles on it. I'm the original owner and now I can't part with it, even though I rarely use it. Oh well...

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts