Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 suzuki ltf250 quadrunner, I bought it used recently and I got it running. However, when I finally drove it, it runs fine at first, but later it started make a click noise when I throttle it and made a drag resistance like the gear didn’t shift fully. It has low, high, and reverse switch, but I don’t know if it’s a automatic transmission. Also it has a clutch pedal for me to shift the switches. What do I do to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
The shift pedal are your gears. The Quadrunners are semi auto atvs. They have a 5 speed transmission, 5 up, 5 down. You simply get up to speed, lay off the throttle and shift. Same thing when you down shift.
The low/high lever is for your sub-transmission. In low gear your bike will have more torque. Good for towing and really slow riding. The other lever is your reverse lever. To use it, push down on the gear shifter till your in neutral. Then pull the reverse lever towards you to engage it. When done, simply push the lever forward to go back into neutral. Then lift up on the gear shifter with your foot and your in 1st gear. And it’s almost physically impossible to multi shift gears at once as the shifter uses a wracheting style system. Which won’t allow to shift to the next gear without releasing it completely. Same thing applies while down shifting. If your Quadrunner is 4WD capable. You’d have another shift lever on the opposite side of your shift panel. The lever would read: 2WD, 4WD, Differential Lock. If your atv doesn’t have 4WD capabilities. This lever would he absent from your shift panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
As for your noise. Where does it sound like it’s coming from..? The front, or rear of your atv..?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shift pedal are your gears. The Quadrunners are semi auto atvs. They have a 5 speed transmission, 5 up, 5 down. You simply get up to speed, lay off the throttle and shift. Same thing when you down shift.
The low/high lever is for your sub-transmission. In low gear your bike will have more torque. Good for towing and really slow riding. The other lever is your reverse lever. To use it, push down on the gear shifter till your in neutral. Then pull the reverse lever towards you to engage it. When done, simply push the lever forward to go back into neutral. Then lift up on the gear shifter with your foot and your in 1st gear. And it’s almost physically impossible to multi shift gears at once as the shifter uses a wracheting style system. Which won’t allow to shift to the next gear without releasing it completely. Same thing applies while down shifting. If your Quadrunner is 4WD capable. You’d have another shift lever on the opposite side of your shift panel. The lever would read: 2WD, 4WD, Differential Lock. If your atv doesn’t have 4WD capabilities. This lever would he absent from your shift panel.

So you have to press down the shift pedal to change gears? Mine can be press down for neutral and I have to press up to lock in gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for your noise. Where does it sound like it’s coming from..? The front, or rear of your atv..?

It sound like it’s coming from the front of the bike, but whenever I drive up hill it make the click noise louder than usual.

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
Your gear up shift pattern is 5 up. Meaning from neutral, when you lift up on the gear shifter. That’s 1st gear. Every subsequent lift of the gear shifter thereafter is another gear. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. Your gear shift down pattern is 5 down. Meaning you press down on the gear shifter to drop a gear. So 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st. And once more if you want neutral. So hence the term 5 up 5 down. As for your noise. If it’s coming from the front end. The clicking you are hearing might be a cv joint going out. Check all the cv boots for tears/cuts. Tears or cuts can allow water/dirt intrusion and damage the cv joint. You will also lose grease if it is damaged as well. Causing the cv joint to not have proper lubrication thus causing metal on metal and wearing out the joint and causing it to click when driving. Turns usually make the noise more pronounced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s not making a clicking noise and the cv joint is alright, the boot isn’t worn out and I added grease when I was fixing the bike. What I meant was when I drive it, it made a click, not repeating clicking noise, it just made a click noise every 5 secs and make the bike feel like it stop (like I would press the brake quickly). It’s like it’s not shifting into the next gear and it keeps repeating. I hope I explain the problem more clearly.

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
Humm, strange. I would suggest a clutch adjustment, but it isn’t slipping so that defeats the purpose. Not sure what else is it could be. Could always check the shifter mechanism and adjusts it if needs adjusting. Beyond that, I can’t think of what else might be causing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I rode my quad runner and you are right about shifting the gear by pressing the gear upward on the gear shifter and the bike go faster. I never knew that I could do that. However, it’s still making that click noise every 5 sec when I drive it, even I’m on higher gear.

I don’t know what’s clutch slippage is? It might be the cause but I don’t know. I’m not very knowledgeable with transmission and I’m not messing around with the transmission, I might break it.

This is my first quad bike I have and still learning thank you ajl719 for telling me.

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
If your clutch would be slipping, then your bike would struggle to climb/power through a gear(s). It would struggle to move basically. Though since it sounds like you go through gears alright I don’t suspect it’s that. Is your Quadrunner a 2WD model or 4x4 model..?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts