Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m brand new to all of this, the four wheeler, this here “forum” stuff,
Picked up an older quad runner 250 and that’s about all I know, won’t start looks to me like there isn’t any fuel goi g through the filter???????
(Please forgive me)
Many thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
"I'm new stop yelling at me" sounds like you've had some issues getting help.

If you don't have a manual get one.

If nothing is mechanically wrong a gas engine only needs three things fuel air and spark. You think it's not getting fuel in the filter. Now you need to figure out why it's not getting fuel.

First does it have gas in the tank? Good gas? I'd start at the filter and work back to the tank. Is the filter plugged? Are the fuel lines good? Is the fuel pump working? Is the fuel petcock functioning? Are the in tank filter's clogged. Is the tank vent plugged?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
First off, welcome to the Forum. And “I’m new please stop yelling at me”. I definitely agree with 440Tim, looks like you’ve had some bad experiences getting some help. First things first. What model/year atv are you looking to get help with..? Secondly, I also agree that a service manual would be the way to go. It would definitely benefit you, especially if your new to the whole atv thing. We can certainly help you along the way, but knowing how to properly fix something correctly if it comes down to it definitely helps. That’s where the service manual comes in handy. Anyhow, let’s start with some general information and go from there. And we promise not to yell at you. ✌🏼

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it’s an 2001 quad runner 4x4 250
LT - F250F
Finally got it to run, with blowing out fuel line from tank to filter, new fuel filter, new spark plug, took it for a little ride and she dies out, got it started with pull cord, only to notice that something wierd was going on with the electrical. It wouldn’t go, she’ll idle, purr like a kitten, just won’t go, give it gas and she’ll bog down.
Back to the electrical, noticed the neutral light would flicker in and out. Got to looking closer and both the tail lights and head lamps weren’t working either. My diagnosis, Gremlins

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Sounds like a possible rectifier/regulator issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a possible rectifier/regulator issue.
Ok, one : that sounds not only expensive but way out of my abilities as well, seeing as how I don’t know what that is. And two : what if I told you I could get it to work, rev up and lights on intermittently by slapping the piss out of the speedometer case? Still gonna be the flux capacitor?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
The rectifier/regulator’s job is to supply the proper voltage throughout your atv’s electrical system. When it fails it can l add to a undercharging scenario as well as a overcharging scenario. Both have negative results and will cause your atv to run poorly or not at all. The rectifier/regulator is located on the right hand side of your bike (If Sitting On It) right behind a black piece of cowling that’s right in front of the speedo housing and right behind the front carrier, (Rack). A OEM replacement rectifier/regulator will set you back around $180 - $190. There’s however cheaper aftermarket alternatives if you decide to go that route. But just keep in mind that buying cheaper alternative parts especially electrical ones is not always the best way to go.

Though I suspect it’s your rectifier/regulator giving you problems, it is possible that isn’t the culprit. Essentially testing it to see if it’s working correctly before throwing any kind of money like that at it is the way to go. So first question is this, do you own a multimeter meter..? Is so set it to 20V DC and take a voltage reading at the battery with the bike idling. You should get around 13.0 - 13.3 volts at idle. And seeing you can’t go past idle or It’ll bog, there’s no sense taking a reading when revving the engine. But that’s ok, at least you’ve got it running and can get a baseline reading at idle. The idling readings would be enough to tell you if it’s at least working or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts