Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a very simple mod that allows you to start your quad in gear without the brakes. This was on nyroc but that doesn't work for me anymore so...
All you need is a Philips screwdriver. Find this little cap in between the left handle bar grip and brake handle.

Remove the screw on the cover, remove cover and pull out the pin and spring behind it. Replace cap and screw.
Edit: this mod is not for everyone!! I like it for shutting off the quad on the road or trail, doing some work, and going again. Most people don't start their quad in gear while pushing on the gas. Starting in gear does not hurt unless throttle is applied. As always, alter your machine at your own risk. Use common sense. Do not do this if little kids are messing with your quad and might possibly start in gear while on the throttle.

Is disclaim any responsibility for someone getting hurt because of This mod.

Have fun!

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is a very simple mod that allows you to start your quad in gear without the brakes. Is disclaim any responsibility for someone getting hurt because of This mod.
IMHO, disclaimer or not, this is a REALLY BAD modification/idea.
What's so bad about grabbing the brakes or putting it in neutral to start it?

And yeah, I omitted some things from the post, as I don't want to repeat what was said.

Lets be safe out there!
Eatmydust

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMHO, disclaimer or not, this is a REALLY BAD modification/idea.
What's so bad about grabbing the brakes or putting it in neutral to start it?

And yeah, I omitted some things from the post, as I don't want to repeat what was said.

Lets be safe out there!
Eatmydust
I agree that we should be safe. Operating atvs takes a little common sense and I think we should put it into use here.
1. I am not forcing anyone to do this.
2. There is nothing wrong with "grabbing the brakes or putting it in neutral to start it"
3. I have never heard of someone starting their atv in gear while on the throttle.

As I said, we need to use some common sense to decide if this is for us or not.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I don't mind pulling the brake handle to start my machine. I can see on the older machines why you would want to start in gear but less so on the new ones.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just putting it out there, you don't have to do it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think it sounds like a great mod 50v8 :)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I guess I'll chime in on this. To me one of the situations I know this would come in handy on is if you were water-wheelying in some deep water/mud and the bike cut off. This would definitely help getting the bike cranked back up quicker so it would lessen the chances of water getting into the engine. Instead of having to take your concentration off keeping it level to keep it turned right side up all you would have to do is bump the starter button and keep things going smoother than having to put in neutral hit the starter button then put it back in gear.

THOMAS

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
567 Posts
This is a great example of how we all use our ATVs differently, TubbyTubb describing 1 of the extremes If past models did not have this starting in gear feature , I would want it. Judging by the responses most would not even be in that predicament. Not so sure it’s an issue I think for anyone who has this feature by simply pulling the rear brake lever any gear (like the 2019 model).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Along with this mod, another thing I did was to use my dremel and cut off the shift fin between forward and reverse on the plastic shifter guide, so I don't have to shift into neutral on my way to reverse. Saves time and hassle when you want to quickly shift into reverse. Just make sure you are fully stopped first. I've put several hundred miles on my machine after doing this mod and for me it poses no risk to the transmission and I like being able to shift faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts