Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In addition to shim mod and lighter roller weights, i finally decided to try this mod i've been reading about. according to his web site, i can expect about 25 to 30% lower range ratio. When i get it back and test it, i'll report my finding.

*edit. I also ordered a yellow spring for the clutch, though i understand it may not be that much of an upgrade from the stock spring.

*nother edit. He is super fast at performing the mod. He received it yesterday afternoon, sending it back in the mail today. should get it back next week.

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
I had him machine the sheave on my 2006 Vinson. From a dead stop it felt very similar to my KQ750. I was pleased with the mod. I am now considering doing my sons 09 KQ 750 and my 2020 KQ 750 once the latter is off warranty.

I think you will be very pleased with it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've been thinking about it as well, basically seeing how it performs this winter when pushing snow and such to see how it performs though not expecting any issues.

*nother edit. He is super fast at performing the mod. He received it yesterday afternoon, sending it back in the mail today. should get it back next week.
Did you ever happen to ask the dealer or figure out why your original clutch had the cracks, would suck to invest in the machining and have it crack on you again.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still not sure about the cracks. One of the mechanics at the dealership looked at the same pics i showed here and said it wasnt cracked. It sure felt cracked to me though. Anyway, the mod is to the outer sheave (houses the rollers) so we will see.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Cube, bet you’re having trouble keeping the front e d on the ground. Give us an update when you have a chance.

As I recall, you lose some top with this mod. Is that correct? If so, any plans to counteract that?

·
Registered
320 Posts
As I recall, you lose some top with this mod. Is that correct? If so, any plans to counteract that?
You retain your top speed when you machine the sheave, you only lose some top speed if you choose to still use shims.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have yet to reach full speed on my bike, the type of riding and terrain i ride in just doesnt need it. When i first got and it was bone stock, i probably never went above 40mph, even then only for a short distance on the highway. So doing these clutch mods has had no negative effect on me at all. Videos to come in the near future.

·
Registered
2006 King Quad 700. 25" Bighorn originals. Highlifter springs. Twin air. Coop 3+. Dalton clutch kit
71 Posts
Rumor has it the new Kings dont have the room for a shim with the tapered cut. 2.65mm is max that can be cut off the sheave and no top end will be lost. My 06 has the tapered cut of 2.25mm and room for 1mm shim. At 3.25mm the bottom end is truly awesome. It saves on wear and tear on the wet clutch and with more power for stop and go when trail riding over obstacles and rough technical terrain.
My 2019 will get the upgrade this winter and replace the 2mm shims

·
Registered
2006 King Quad 700. 25" Bighorn originals. Highlifter springs. Twin air. Coop 3+. Dalton clutch kit
71 Posts
I just emailed coop to ask him exactly how much was shaved off, but i still was able to use 2mm worth of shims.
How much was he able to machine off?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Still not sure about the cracks. One of the mechanics at the dealership looked at the same pics i showed here and said it wasnt cracked. It sure felt cracked to me though. Anyway, the mod is to the outer sheave (houses the rollers) so we will see.
Often the outer primary has the appearance of cracks on the cast surface part when they are just artifact from the casting process. Photo would help but there may be no actual cracks at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts