Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason none of the threads I see online mention a few things I found out while installing my winch on my 2013 Kingquad 500.

First off, there's a spot under the seat that's pre drilled for a contactor box. There're four holes with rubber grommets plugging them. Use those holes to mount the box. I only used the outside two holes because it was too tight on the inside holes, but it still works fine.

Second, use the conduit that runs along your frame behind the radiator to route your wires. To make this easier, I taped the two main wires from the winch together and put some dish soap on them to make them slippery. They'll shoot through there real easy like that.

Third, and most interesting, there's a spot by the ignition that's just for hooking up the wire from your switch. If you look under your aux headlight/gauge assembly on the right side, you'll find three wires taped together: orange, black and green. The orange wire is only hot when the key's on AND it's got a fuse. Super simple to hook in to and no splicing or hardwiring required.

Funny thing about that hook up. I called a dealership asking them about a good place to hook in. They said to use the DC outlet. I didn't really want to do that so I called someone else for a second opinion and that mechanic told me about those three wires. I wonder why that isn't common knowledge? I would think that would have been in the manual or online somewhere.

Anyway, it made the install really easy. The other winch install I've done was on a Honda Rancher and I petty much had to strip that whole four wheeler to do it. I even had to trim panels to make it fit. The only thing I had to remove on my Suzuki was the air filter cover.

Awesome job, Suzuki.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for this post! Just installed my FREE winch I got when I purchased my 2014 King Quad. Would be nice if the dealership would do it but I guess that's not part of the deal. This was my first winch install so it did take a bit of time. I was stumped on which wire to connect to for the "switched power" until I found this post and located those wires under the pod. Thanks again. Kyle

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
I find that odd that the dealership wouldn't install your winch, especially seeing it's a new atv and adding accessories yourself sometimes voids the warranty in some cases. And plus the winch was free with your purchase of a 2014 King Quad. So if it were a special promo then why wouldn't they install it. Seems weird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know. I thought the same thing. Infact it was a slight pain in the ass. I didn't even get to bring a winch home with me. The suzuki promo winch had to be shipped to the dealership and I had to arrange to have it picked up. 2 hours away. Luckily my friend was working a couple blocks from the dealership. Oh well. It's on now so I'm over it. Lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
For some reason none of the threads I see online mention a few things I found out while installing my winch on my 2013 Kingquad 500.

First off, there's a spot under the seat that's pre drilled for a contactor box. There're four holes with rubber grommets plugging them. Use those holes to mount the box. I only used the outside two holes because it was too tight on the inside holes, but it still works fine.

Third, and most interesting, there's a spot by the ignition that's just for hooking up the wire from your switch. If you look under your aux headlight/gauge assembly on the right side, you'll find three wires taped together: orange, black and green. The orange wire is only hot when the key's on AND it's got a fuse. Super simple to hook in to and no splicing or hardwiring required.

Awesome job, Suzuki.

GREAT tips!! Agree the newer models seemed to be engineered with the idea of installing a winch. The older models...I'm not so sure??? :laugh:

biz
:wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a kfi stealth winch on my 2014. I don't see the holes for the contactor box and do the wires in the pod have to be wired under the seat somwhere?

·
Registered
716 Posts
GREAT tips!! Agree the newer models seemed to be engineered with the idea of installing a winch. The older models...I'm not so sure???
Right from 2005 The 2nd Gen King Quad was made to accommodate a Warn 2500 winch. The wiring for both the rocker and the contactor, the wire ends provided under the seat and under the headlight, are built right into the wire loom. There's even a spot for a Warn 4 post contactor molded right into the underseat plastic, and a tube is provided to feed the 6 gauge wires from the contactor to the spot where the front winch lives.

The dealer is expected to put it on when they are prepping the bike out of the crate, but some dealers don't think they should have to.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a kfi stealth winch on my 2014. I don't see the holes for the contactor box and do the wires in the pod have to be wired under the seat somwhere?
The spot for the contactor is right behind the tool tray, pull out the black rubber hole fillers. black and green wires come out of the loom under the seat for the contactor, under the headlight for the rocker switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I'll have to drill hole for the contactor. What I mean is the rocker is plug and play? I don't have to search for those wires in the harness for additional hookups under seat

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a 2013 KQ and it has a spot Under the seat for the contactor to mount. I just bought a 2015 KQ and the spot under the seat is different and holes need to be drilled to install the contactor. I guess I could always use a strong Velcro to hold the contactor in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Second, use the conduit that runs along your frame behind the radiator to route your wires. To make this easier, I taped the two main wires from the winch together and put some dish soap on them to make them slippery. They'll shoot through there real easy like that.

Funny thing about that hook up. I called a dealership asking them about a good place to hook in. They said to use the DC outlet. I didn't really want to do that so I called someone else for a second opinion and that mechanic told me about those three wires. I wonder why that isn't common knowledge? I would think that would have been in the manual or online somewhere.

Anyway, it made the install really easy. The other winch install I've done was on a Honda Rancher and I petty much had to strip that whole four wheeler to do it. I even had to trim panels to make it fit. The only thing I had to remove on my Suzuki was the air filter cover.

Awesome job, Suzuki.
Hopefully you're still on here. I have the '05 Kingquad 700, it has those 3 convenient wires you spoke of, but what about the green and black wires coming off the solenoid? Do those need to be connected anywhere?

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
Your replying to a thread/post that is from 2017. Threads/posts this old tend to be inactive. In which case replies are very seldom. Your best bet would be to create your own thread and ask this very question. Might get a better reply by doing that. When you do, make sure you give as much info on your Atv as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me how there is NO splicing needed to connect the Warn rocker switch power wire to the orange wire under the pod. I too was told by a dealer to splice into a DC wire, but I don’t know which one is hot yet. However, if there is a place that no splicing is required than I would rather to that.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMG_3232_LI-2 (2).jpg

This is with the Gauge & Headlight shroud off. Wires taped up are circled in red.

Here are the wires. Orange is Hot with key on. I believe these wires were intended for OEM horn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts