Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i recently bought a 2000 Suzuki LTF500 semi-automatic. I was riding it and found out that its hard to shift into 3rd gear and above. could it be because of the tuning because the rpm might be to high, cuz in nuetral it would sometimes rev high by itself? or could it be something in the trany?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
It could be that you need to adjust the clutches, although I haven't personally worked on that specific model and you may have to get a couple pics so I can see if the adjustment is the same on others I have worked on.
And yes if the RPM's are too high it can cause hard shifting as well.

THOMAS

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's sounds like the Rams are to high if it revs in neutral then it won't drop down far enough to shift easily.

·
Registered
607 Posts
the high rpms are something thats going need to be fixed anyways so do that and see if it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be that you need to adjust the clutches, although I haven't personally worked on that specific model and you may have to get a couple pics so I can see if the adjustment is the same on others I have worked on.
And yes if the RPM's are too high it can cause hard shifting as well.

THOMAS
Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, in the last pic do you see that little inspection cover(next to the dipstick) there should be a nut and set-screw under there that will need to be adjusted. If you can pop that cover off i'll be able to tell you if that's the correct thing we are looking for.

THOMAS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I'm not mistaken, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, in the last pic do you see that little inspection cover(next to the dipstick) there should be a nut and set-screw under there that will need to be adjusted. If you can pop that cover off i'll be able to tell you if that's the correct thing we are looking for.

THOMAS
I took off the cover and here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Just to clarify something, if you are standing in front of the quad what side is that inspection plate on the one you took off?

THOMAS

·
Registered
527 Posts
Right side, My Eiger has that plate on the right side

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
That's standing in front of it right Slinger?

THOMAS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Suskiquad that's gotta be the clutch adjustment screws it's the bigger of the 2. What you will do is loosen the lock-nut, but use a screwdriver to hold the middle screw to help loosen it. Then turn the screw out a couple of turns then slowly turn it back in until you feel a little resistance hold the screw with the screwdriver again and then tighten the lock-nut put cover back on and take it for a spin and see if it helped.

THOMAS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
So it makes sense that the pull-cord is on the opposite side correct?

THOMAS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
So yeah do what I said in above post and if it's the clutch that's out of adjustment that should at least firm the shifts a lil bit and make it easier to shift as well.

THOMAS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
That is what I would do, but to be honest I've never seen 2 screws like that in the same place, so just start with big one and if it doesn't help then you can do the small one also. How's that sound?

THOMAS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i recently bought a 2000 Suzuki LTF500 semi-automatic. I was riding it and found out that its hard to shift into 3rd gear and above. could it be because of the tuning because the rpm might be to high, cuz in nuetral it would sometimes rev high by itself? or could it be something in the trany?
Did adjusting the big screw make it shift easier

1 - 20 of 20 Posts