Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 LT300E and fuel has been dripping out of the overflow tube. I started by having the carburetor rebuilt but that hasn’t fixed the problem. I replaced the fuel pump but the problem still persists. It seems like vacuum is causing too much fuel to flow to the carb. I’ve thought about replacing the fuel petcock but this model’s petcock does nothing but direct the fuel flow from the main tank and reserve area, no vacuum, just On, Off and Res. I’ve been messing with this off and on for two summers now and can’t use it with this fuel problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Loosen the gas cap and see if it still does it , the gas cap vent may be blocked.

Reactions: Ljwez

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loosen the gas cap and see if it still does it , the gas cap vent may be blocked.
Thanks. Gonna explore that idea for sure. I thought of that but didn’t even see a vent hole to clean.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The carburetor float allows fuel to flow into the bowl, where the overflow drain is. I'd guess your float jet needs to be replaced with the correct size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The carburetor float allows fuel to flow into the bowl, where the overflow drain is. I'd guess your float jet needs to be replaced with the correct size.
View attachment 19942
View attachment 19942
Thanks, that certainly makes sense. That’s why I had the carb rebuilt though. I even bought the kit to make sure that it was the correct one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks, that certainly makes sense. That’s why I had the carb rebuilt though. I even bought the kit to make sure that it was the correct one.
The float probably wasn't set to the right height or it's the wrong float needle. You'll need to adjust the floats or replace the float needle with a good one.
Take the bowl off and you'll see an overflow tube. When too much fuel enters the carb, it dumps out of the long overflow tube onto the ground as your describing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. The problem ended up being a bad carb float. I should have changes that out earlier. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts