Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the fuel gauge wasn't reading when I bought it about 10 months ago. Just replaced the fuel pump and filter cleaned the boom and float and the connections at the base and still not reading anyone know where to go from here on this issue?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
You may need to replace the float assembly for it to read correctly, although I have never heard of one going bad on one of these there is always a first for everything.

THOMAS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure it is electrical issue I made sure the connections are good prior to putting it back together but its just reading empty all the time. I guess its better than reading full and getting stranded. Just will add a small reserve tank to it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im sure it is electrical issue I made sure the connections are good prior to putting it back together but its just reading empty all the time. I guess its better than reading full and getting stranded. Just will add a small reserve tank to it
Did you ever figure out the issue? I am having the same problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine does the same thing but not exactly because it works sometimes but then after running a while it goes back to empty. Never had a problem before doing a rebuild.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It's a common failure. The float mechanism uses tiny metal whiskers riding across electrical contacts and the whiskers are so fine and fragile that they sometimes break, or in the best case don't press hard enough on the contacts for a good reading. If you are good at watchmaking and soldering you might be able to fix one but the easiest fix is to find a shop that has replaced the fuel pump for a client by replacing the whole in tank unit the way Suzuki wants (at great cost) and has saved the old one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't been able to solve it yet. Havent done much I just carry some extra fuel with me when I ride. Most of my rides are relatively short so its not a very big issue to me just one of the quirks that can make you aggravated. When I pulled the fuel pump out everything was connected and I cleaned the connections on the plate and float. I may work on it a little more if i need to get back into the tank but as far as the problem its not worth the work in my opinion for my needs to justify pulling the tank again.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Though I'm sure this problem can be aggravating, there is a easy and simple way to continue to utilize your atv without always worrying about fuel. And this category falls into the old 250 QR's & 300 KQ's. Though they utilized old technology, their method for checking the fuel was pretty simple, a dip stick. Now, I'm not implying that you install a dip stick, no ,no, that's actually kinda of pointless. But since I bought my 300 KQ back in '99, I utilized a fuel gauge method passed on to me by my one of my buddy's father, and it doesn't even involve a dip stick.

Simply put, the easy way to figure out how far you can go without constantly worrying about your fuel level is by using your trip meter. However, you need to do a bit of testing before hand before using this method. Which means you need to do 4 things: First is to fill your tank, second is to reset your trip meter to zero. Third is to go for a long ride and use up as much fuel as possible, (Bring A Small Reserve Can Just In Case). And last but not least, go fill up you atv after your ride. After filling up note the mileage you accumulated for the amount of fuel you used for that ride. Now before taking off reset your trip meter back to zero and use the base info to give you a general idea on how far you can go on that tank of gas. Example: I can go about 140-150 kilometres per tank on my ('00) 300 KQ before needing to fill up. Note: These numbers will vary depending on how throttle happy you are, and if you use 4x4. So these two things effect fuel mileage thus lowering your original base numbers. But this method at least gives you a good general idea on how far you can go on a tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem, no fuel readings and no speedometer. I replaced the speed sensor, and fuel sending unit. Both did not fix the issue. I then ordered a new speedometer assembly. I just plugged it in, and everything is working fine. If you order a new speedometer, you will need to know where your quad was made..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts