Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 good youtube videos to link that explain removal of the front cv shaft on the suzuki 4x4's. The videos work for both 250/300 4x4's. I have to replace the rubber boots on mine and could not tug those things out after I got them all disconnected. They should just yank out by hand as shown in the first video. If they do not, the second video method works perfect. I tried it and the axle popped right out. Just wanted to share because I was frustrated as hell until I found these videos.

-video showing procedure to disassemble and remove cv shaft:
-video to watch if your axle wont pull out like it should:

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
Good helpful videos. Thanks for sharing. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I keep editing this post because Im looking for aftermarket CV boots inner and outer for this 1999 LT-F250F but havn't come across any that are specific to inner and outer. Are they universal? The stock inner and outer front CV boots look slightly different.

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
Aftermarket items for these bikes are almost non existent. Very few if any aftermarket parts are available. As for the cv boots, I believe the inner and outer cv boots are different sizes. Though I’m not 100% certain. You could always check on sites such as Bike Bandit, etc. Check to see if the part numbers between the inner and outer cv boots are different. If they are, their most likely different sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting! Inner front boots are one of the last few things I have to do on my LT4WD rebuild.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
082.jpg
083.jpg
084.jpg

I received a package in the mail for 1 set inner and outer boots for my 1999 LT-F250F that I ordered from Bike Bandit. They are double the price of available aftermarket boots. I showed in the picture the contents that come with each boot. The steel bands are OEM fit and require no tool to apply. The OEM boots inner and outer are almost identical in width openings on each end and the length is slightly different. The difference in all dimensions seems to be so small that I see no reason a universal boot would work the same on inner and outer. One major exception is that since there is a slight difference, an OEM pre-fit, no tool band could probably not be used. I'm sure that the aftermarket boots would come with a steel band that would require the tool to snug down, cut and apply for perfect seal. I want to do both left and right sides on my quad so if I cannot get another set of OEM boots, I feel confident that an aftermarket boot would work the same, I would just have to use the tool to apply the steel bands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found this set of 3 videos the most accurate and helpful when tearing off my old boots for the front and rebuilding my suzuki 250 4x4 shaft. It's a Yamaha in the videos but the shaft is setup the exact same way and the guy does a great job explaining.
Watch the #1 video starting at 3:55, watch the entire #2 video and only need to watch the first 20 seconds of the #3 video.

#1 video:
#2 video:
#3 video:

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are two schools of thought regarding the removal of the axles, one is that yanking them out is fine, the other is that yanking them out is hard on the joints. Personally, I use a short wrecking bar and place the wide flat end between the end of the axle and the diff and just pop it out. I know that I am not damaging the joints that way, no matter what school of thought you believe in, and it has worked easily every time I've done it.

I use the Gorilla axle boot kits, they are very durable, and they have a ratcheting clamp tool that is the best I have used yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the snap ring that holds the axle shaft to the spline shaft in the diff damaged when you yank or pound the axle shaft from the diff? It seems like its designed to hold the axle in place and you overcome that retention by pulling or pounding on the axle.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Most of the time they are re-usable in my experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine was re-usable even after tapping it out with a crowbar and sedge-hammer like in the video. No damage anywhere that I was able to see and I inspect everything pretty good. I greased it up and slapped the axle back in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. That's good to know. I need to replace the inner CV boot and didn't think to order a snap ring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use the Gorilla axle boot kits, they are very durable, and they have a ratcheting clamp tool that is the best I have used yet.
How did you order the Gorilla axle boots? They claim they do not have boots for 2001 LTF250 4x4. I'm planning to provide measurements of the boots to see if they have something close. The OEM boots are $46 so I could save a lot using Gorilla.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did you order the Gorilla axle boots? They claim they do not have boots for 2001 LTF250 4x4. I'm planning to provide measurements of the boots to see if they have something close. The OEM boots are $46 so I could save a lot using Gorilla.
I had a Vinson when I ordered, so I just ordered from the website, but I would give them a call to see if they have anything for your machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. That's good to know. I need to replace the inner CV boot and didn't think to order a snap ring.
My snap ring was a bit loose on the indentation, probably from old age. I believe this is why it was so hard to pop the shaft out. There was no rust or corrosion on mine so I re-used it. I imagine a new one would fit tighter and would be able to pop it out next time by hand, however the crowbar and tap with a sledge pops it out pretty clean. Using the sledge and crowbar requires you to take the front plastic off for clearance, popping it out by hand does not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to give an update. I ended up ordering a set of CV boots from Ebay. $30 shipped for inner and outer boots, grease and clamps. The quality is pretty good and they fit just fine. I was able to remove the shaft with the crowbar method and did not damage the snap ring. The shaft snapped back into the differential no problem.

ebay link: CV boots

1 - 16 of 16 Posts